Need a new monitor!

Ditching my ancient 19" Trinitron CRT for something more modern. I’m thinking a Widescreen LCD, but I’m not looking to go crazy and get one of those $$$$ Dell beauties.

I just want something lightweight, around 19" and reliable. Price ceiling is around $500, maybe 6. Any recommendations?

Wait for a coupon, and you can probably get one of those $$$$ Dell beauties for less than $500.

No shit? Tell me more.

Doesn’t look like there are any deals running right now, but keep an eye on places like http://slickdeals.net/category/computers/ and http://www.dealmein.net/monitor-deals.cfm. Dell usually has most of their big deals at the end of a quarter.

I’ve seen the 2007FPW as low as $359, though $450ish is more typical.

I’d monitor http://www.gotapex.com - they seem to be plugged into the Dell deals. Every so often (and frequently coinciding with a end of Dell’s financial quarters) there’ll be lots of sales with coupons and associated discounts. The monitors show up there on a regular basis.

Yea, that monitor is going for just over $450 on Dell’s site right now. I might take the plunge since I would need something by early July.

What am I missing out on by not going with the $1300+ versions also listed on the site?

All of these are 20" widescreen. Word of warning though; 20" widescreens are less tall then 19" 4:3 ratio moniters. You get more viewing area overall, the scale of everything is smaller. Just smaller over a wider area :). Text, ect, on the web is smaller at the same resolutions.

I have the Viewsonic 2025wm and it’s nice. Runs 350-ish right now shipped. Has some DVI issues sometimes - i had to ship mine back and get another.

The Dell 2007WFP has component out, and is Vista ready. Some say it had banding but that’s been corrected; other forum tards say they change the panel out without changing the name of the moniter. Whatever.

The NEC 20WMGX2 is supposedly the best moniter out there right now; but it runs 650$US+, at which point you could get a larger Dell moniter. Has some kind of glossy coating that some hate and some love. Supposedly the best for gaming right now.

I got a Dell 2005FP for under 400 bucks shipped. It is wonderful.

Just be aware that you need a pretty burly video card to drive these guys at their native resolution of 1680x1050. I’ve got a 7800GS and it’s smooth like buttah!

Lurk Slickdeals for a week if you want to buy a Dell monitor.

I really love the LG LCDs. They’re clear, bright and colorful. I highly recommend going to a store and doing some side by sides before you decide.

[ drilling holes joke ]

Does that mean I could play a 360 on it? Is there delay? There is a slight delay with the 2005’s S-Video for my PS2 and GC games, so I’m wary.

Hahaha. I was going to say, now we know who Theo’s alternate nick is!

DELL 2407 is working out ok…

Spotted at Hot Deals: Samsung 930B for $219 with free shipping, plus $30 rebate. Looks like a pretty mediocre monitor, but its price just dropped $100, so it may make a decent bargain. Also, a Viewsonic VX922 for $300 plus shipping, with a $100 rebate. The VX922 looks like a good budget choice for gaming, thanks to its low response time. These are both 19" 1280x1024 monitors: if you want bigger, widescreen, and/or higher res, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

I just bought a Benq FP202W and it’s pretty sweet. Then I was happy to see it got a CG Editor’s Choice award in this months CGM.

Just got this e-mail from Dell: 1907FP for $247; 2007WFP for $367.

SOLD~!

Thanks everybody, I spent lots of time reading reviews and stats for each of the links provided, ultimately though I’m getting the Dell…dudes.

I thought we’d established that everybody is Brian Koontz.