Need for Speed: Most Wanted

I’m having whole game lag, as several minutes in the entire gameworld starts to chug. I’ve put the game aside until I get a better video card, but even when it ran okay, there was no controller lag. What kind of controller are you using?

I’ve tried an XBox 360 wired controller and the wireless Microsoft Speed wheel.

Huh, are you plugging it into one of the front USB ports, or right into the motherboard?

The front ports.

I haven’t noticed any issues with other games I use the controller for.

Might be one of those weird things. Can you try plugging it directly to the mobo in the back and seeing if the problem persists?

I just tried the wheel with the wireless USB receiver plugged into the back USB, still laggy. I’ll try the wired controller next.

I wonder if the wheel is worse because maybe they have a large dead zone programmed for NFS. Doesn’t seem to have any in game controller configuration for that stuff though.

Guh, I dunno then man. Your theory on the wheel sounds like a good one, but I’m unsure about the wired controller.

My wired controller seems to be OK in the front and back USB ports. I did play with the graphics settings, maybe that did the trick. Who knows what was up with that. The wheel is still wonky and my guess is that it is because there is nothing to configure the dead zone, how sensitive it is, etc. I guess I’ll stick with the regular controller for this game. Thanks for trying to give me a hand, appreciated.

I think I like Forza Horizon better. The handling feels more natural to me in that one, and I can use the wheel.

Forza Horizon is the main reason I still haven’t really giventhis game a fair chance. Tom seemed so passionate about this one that I wanted to at least play it long enough to see what he saw in the game. But every time I felt like playing a racing game, I just gravitate towards Forza Horizon because I just love it so much. To me it is the perfect melding of the Project Gotham style of racing and the Forza style.

Since I took my Xbox One to my parent’s for the duration of family members visiting from out of town, one side effect is that at home I found myself alone for hours over the last couple of days with just the PS4 and the 360 to entertain me. Since Forza 5 gave me the racing bug and I read Tom’s NFS Rivals review praising Most Wanted so much, I chose to pull this game out again.

Playing in 3rd person took a little getting used to again. This game just feels so loud and in my face, and yet, I finally started getting in a bit of a groove. I crash a little bit less than I used to, but the rubberbanding is still frustrating and makes any victory seem shallow and undeserved. This is specially compounded by the fact that unlike the last time I played, all the billboards and speed cameras around town are completely dominated by Tom and other Qt3 players, and I can’t get close to them.

I guess that is to come later when I get in the faster cars.

The game is really gorgeous and sense of speed is pretty incredible. It’s probably the best looking game of the last generation of consoles. I’m still trying to get away from racing via mini-map. I usually repeat a race a few times. First couple of tries I look at the minimap the whole time to learn the course, then subsequent runs I try to never look down there, which lowers the accidents on the road.

I still don’t love this game like I loved Burnout Revenge or Forza Horizon or Forza 5, but it does scratch the racing itch nicely while I wait to return to my Xbox One.

Heh, I’ve been playing this game more due to getting a new video card, and I am loving it, much more so than Burnout Paradise, since that game’s world felt lifeless and listless, while this one feels much more alive. I just wish they’d make Forza for the PC so I could try it.

I agree Brian. Don’t know why I typed Burnout Paradise when I meant Burnout Revenge. Corrected! This game’s city actually gives me a very strong Burnout Paradise vibe actually. And that’s not a good thing.

I love the fact that the roads seem to be wet in this game 90% of the time, as if it just stopped raining. The reflections on the wet roads are partially why the game looks so good.

HA, I just finished the game today. Got the PC version on amazon few days ago for 5 bucks and yeah, it is pretty damn fine. Looks great, they patched performance so it ran 60 all the time, discovering cars and smahing billboards and taking down most wanted was a lot of fun.
I also like this a lot more than Paradise. Paradise just seemed kinda boring, even if it had better damage model.

Wow, I’m bummed that I missed that Black Friday deal for 5 bucks. I guess it’ll come around again though. The only thing that’s held me back is having to use Origin.

So I ended up buying this through Amazon during the Editor’s Choice sale and I’m really enjoying it a lot more than NFL Hot Pursuit (2010). Still a little nostalgic for the original’s FMV. Also liked the older game’s “pursuit breakers” and the minimap indicators telling you where to hide.

EDIT: Another thing about the newer vs. the older game–the older game had a story, despite the ridiculous overacting by the guy who played Razor Callahan. The new one feels a little sterile in that regard. I actually fired up my old copy of the 2005 game for the 360 and played it some–it holds up gameplay-wise, but the graphics definitely show the signs of it being an early 360 game–really muddy textures and jaggies out the wazoo. I also have the old game on PC but I doubt I could get it to run on Windows 7 (the installer might not even work!). That might look a bit better.

BUMP , this less than $4 over on GMG, registers on Origin. I played 3 races so far and its quite good both in driving feel and graphics.

My last racing game was Mario Kart 64 for the N64.

OMG it’s so worth $4. One of my favorite open world racers, maybe neck and neck with Midnight Club LA. So much fun, and so much to do as well. I love how each car has its own set of races, makes things nicely varied.

It’s much better than the most recent incarnation of NFS Hot Pursuit. I do kinda miss the cheesy FMV of the older game of the same title though. BTW Brian, I’m also a big fan of Midnight Club LA. Makes it worth firing up the old 360 once in awhile.

Hah, right? My copy is on the PS3, but it’s one of the few games I still fire the thing up for regularly.

Free on Origin…