Need for Speed Unbound - 2022 What's an A$AP Rocky?

Are you just wild about saffron?

What living human wouldn’t be wild for Saffron ?

But also, just about every cast member on Firefly was improbably and unreasonably good looking.

He’s a pretty well known rapper. I haven’t listened to his stuff, but I’ve liked some collaboration tracks he did with Tyler the Creator (another rapper). He’s currently dating Rihanna, who is a hugely popular pop/R&B singer.

I like the attempt for visual style during the actual gameplay, but I could do without the scribbledoodles filter.

My man, you are of great taste.

Porche Unleashed has the best campaign progression in the entire series.

Not a big deal, but I’m not sure why the Twitter person for NFS didn’t just post the marketing fluff and ghost out.

People on Twitter need to learn that “reading is fundamental”. If someone at Electronic Arts doesn’t teach them, who will?

EDIT: New NFS! w00t? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, it’s another Electronic Arts release!

I just tried it on Gamepass with the 10 hour trial thing, around 10 races, and yeah I don’t have anything positive to share…

How’s the A$AP Rocky?

I’m surprised people still buy this.

But what if it only starts to get good on the 11th race?

If you hadn’t said that I wouldn’t know that was an option. Seems invisible on Gamepass to me.

Well, having just driven the 11th race, I can confirm that I should have just taken @TurinTur’s word for it. :)

I drove a bunch of races in the story mode, but I made the classic Tom Chick mistake of taking the muscle car as my starter car. This basically means you’re telling a game, “Handling? Pfft. I don’t need handling. I don’t even need to turn. Just give me massive acceleration and no grip, please!” Not that it really mattered, given this is just another one of Criterion’s rocket steering gamez. But I did want to try a few different cars before boredom uninstalling.

However, after doing the first half dozen missions in story mode, I didn’t see any way to change cars, or even buy a new car, or even any progression beyond dumping money into boosting whatever rocket I’m steering. So I backed out of story mode and discovered “Free Roam Mode”. Which also includes multiplayer.

And sure enough, “free roam” just a shell for multiplayer races. For my online mode, I picked the Nissan as the starter car and realized it didn’t make much difference, I might as well have the 1969 Dodge Challenger Nogrip Acceleratatron Deluxe I was using in single player. So I drove a few of these online multiplayer races, most of which seemed to drop me into “loaner cars” appropriate for the race, which meant I was steering rockets shaped like various dumbass Lambos and GT-STICKNUMBERHERE’s and Koenigsburger Lightning Plasma IIs and Totally Not A Batmobiles and whatnot. And still not seeing any progression beyond the money I’m racking up. Oh, look, I seem to be filling some level gauge towards level two. I wonder what will happen then?

I didn’t find out.

I obviously didn’t get far enough to appreciate whatever G they’ve supposed put into this caRPG, but I just don’t understand how Criterion keeps turning in these low-effort rocket-steering arcade simulators and passing them off as racing games, much less caRPGs. Is anyone actually buying these and playing them? They’re making money for EA? What poor suckers are ponying up for this retread? I would honestly rather go back to the barely remastered version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, even junked up as it is with EA’s crassly jammed-in DLC.

I guess I can appreciate that they’re drawing little artsy graffiti effects onscreen to represent stuff like nitrous and drafting and big air. I like visual effects for gameplay that might otherwise be invisible. It reminds me of the wonderful visual aids in Agents of Mayhem, where there was a different effect for every boost or debuff. You didn’t have to flick your glance to the corner of the screen to check for the icon; it was right there, in front of you, built into the graphics! And a good driving game can benefit just as much from this sort of thing. Not that this Need for Speed is making very good use of the concept. I’m still having to look at the minimap in the corner to know where I’m going. But it does seem like one of these days, someone at Criterion might be on the verge of eventually figuring out how, at some point in time, they might be able to improve their interface. Hopefully, by that time, they’ll have figured out how to make good racing games again.

This feels like about 80% of a (really good) first page review, might as well finish it off and put it up for the world to see/rage at.

Thought this would be notably more stylized and a bit more over-the-top. Then I watched some gameplay videos, and it seemed to look like pretty much any of the recent NFS games with stylized vfx popping up for drifts and boosts. Characters are cel-shaded, but it’s not like you’d notice outside of cutscenes.

perfect description of every NFS game since…Rivals? ProStreet? I don’t even remember anymore. What a shame.

Even if free, I couldn’t bring myself to play another one of these NFS games. You all have more gamer cred than me.

One of the Digital Foundry guys seems to be enjoying it, but I don’t know enough about his personal taste in racing games to know if that should sway me. It has kept me from totally writing this off though.

My son is quite enjoying it. The campaign is apparently much more meaty than some of the recent games. While the handling would not be mistaken for a sim, he says the cars do feel different from each other to him.

I tried the trial for about 2 hours and uninstalled it. It just has nothing going for it, there is non-existent car physics, zero enjoyment from winning any race, cringe writing (“this car is straight fire!!”) and even graphically Forzas and GRIDs just look better (and let’s not even mention eight year old Driveclub).

Zach at Kotaku also posted positive impressions, saying he’s really enjoying it.

I guess it makes sense that these kinds of physics click with certain gamers. I’m just flummoxed by them, not really knowing the rules of the made-up physics, since I can’t rely on real world physics. That’s on the previous NFS titles though, I haven’t tried this one yet.