Neo Scavenger, survival game by ex Bioware employee

Well, I didn’t find a thread about this (so far) little flash game, so here’s one.
Anyone else playing?

You can find the game here.

From what I understand, its creator Dan Fedor is an ex-Bioware employee (I hope I got my facts right) who also did some work on Fallout(?).

Anyway, the game itself is a bit brutal at the time being, but if you have a little luck, reaching the end of the demo is possible.
You can get beta-access to the full version for $10, buy a version which includes additional “feature votes” for $13 or get the grand version with an ingame bonus and a personal love letter from the developer for $25.
You can even buy additional votes seperately if you feel your favorite idea/improvement/feature needs more leverage. Here’s the purchase page.

Obligatory screenshot:

Edit: That screenie is just a random google picture search result, the interface has since matured a bit (though it’s still horrible).
Also, I’m not affilated with the game in any way, just to make that clear.

rezaf

Buying votes. Not sure I like that.

It’s quite brilliant, from a business mindset.

Well, I’m more inclined to think it’s silly than to be totally opposed to it.
At least nobody is being forced to buy votes. Just buy the $10 edition and be done with it (if you even like the game enough to do that of course).

rezaf

Oh, yeah. From the business side, it’s a great idea - in the short term.

It made me uncomfortable when I read it in the original post, but looking on his website it looks like all votes accomplish is figuring out which order he’s going to add features to the game in. They don’t appear to allow players to actually choose which features are made. Inevitably they will all be added.

I played a quick game last night and died from the claw of a Dogman the first time I rested. Then I had to rest in real life. Thankfully, no Dogmen were around. Looking forward to playing some more when I get home from work.

I don’t think that’s how it works at all.

Disclaimer: To be clear, feature votes do not represent a contract to work between voters and Blue Bottle Games. Votes are only used to gauge fan interest, and development on NEO Scavenger will progress in a manner determined solely by Blue Bottle Games. That said, everything up for voting here is a feature I’d like to work on, so there’s a good chance frontrunners here will get more attention. I am mainly looking at feature popularity compared to feature complexity/effort required. I just wanted to be up-front with everyone so expectations are tempered!

“I’d like to work on” doesn’t sound like they’re all inevitably going to happen. It seems votes are his way to measure which features are most important to the fans, which in turn may influence which features get priority. The implication being that the lowest priority item(s) may not get any resources applied.

To be fair to him, the stuff up for vote on his page don’t sound all that controversial. For example, I don’t think there are many people that wouldn’t want to see a way to save the game added. The other stuff looks vague enough that he could basically fold into any number of updates and check the box.

This isn’t something I’d like to see added to game development across the board. Imagine EA or Activision letting people pay to vote for development resources.

This is on Steam Early Access now, and RPShas a nice writeup about how the game is currently. I’ve tried it briefly myself, and its a terrifying game at times, because of how crazy the world is, how violent and how much you want to kill others to get their stuff. There is a demo, and I urge people to try it out because game like this deserves success!

I can’t remember who said it, but this seems to contribute weight to the idea that if 2013 was the year of the roguelike, 2014 is shaping up to be the year of the survival sim. Anyway, this looks cool.

a) Was 2013 the year of the Roguelike? What famous RL games came out then? Surely 2012 was, with FTL and other such games? (I’d also say 2013 was the year of the survival sim ;))

b) I saw this game in the indie thread and posted about my impressions of the demo there.

So, not that I am going to buy this game (I have a hard time reading the text, even with ‘filter’ on), but there’s 5 different buying options on the site. The 3 main choices are: Buy it from the developer, buy it on desura, buy it on Steam, all offering different bonuses…

which one are you guys choosing?

I’m so tempted to buy it right now, but with my backlog, I might let it stew a bit more so that it’ll be a more mature product.

But if I’m buying it now, I’ll probably buy direct, I think the developer gets more that way, rather than going through a middle man.

I created this thread almost two years ago, and I have to say that I’m incredibly disappointed in the progress (or lack thereof) the game has made since.
While the game has since matured into an application you can run on it’s own (rather than play in your browser), the interface still brings the worst of the worst flash UIs have to offer to the table. There’s now right click menus and a bunch of new items, but actually making things happen is more fiddly than ever.
I just played three games, and twice I died VERY quickly to a random encounter in the now uber-populated gameworld and the third kinda locked up in the encounter interface - no option did anything and chosing an option removed it from the interface but didn’t end the turn. Pretty sad.
I consider the game LESS playable than it was two years ago, because it’s been made considerably harder to obtain basic neccessitys like shoes and a plastic bag, the world is too crowded (you run into enemies all the time, which for a LONG time is a recipe to disaster) and the game interface now features half a dozen screens that you need to switch around in which serves no meaningful purpose.

Anyone waiting for improvements should keep in mind that embarrisingly little has done in two years, so one shouldn’t expect considerable improvement in the years to come either. This game makes Dwarf Fortress’ development schedule look frantic.

It was cheap, so I don’t regret my purchase, but I had more fun and a easier time with the demo that was around two years ago, so I can only close this post like I began it: I’m incredibly disappointed in the game’s progress.

rezaf

Not having seen the game’s progress, and just having picked it up recently, I love it. It’s like FTL where you freeze your ass off instead of getting blown up. I’ve long wanted to dig my teeth into a survival-themed game, but this is the first to click for me. Particularly in the current beta with non-hostile NPCs added, combat is much less prevalent in the early game. So long as you have a decent weapon (like a spear) and aren’t too loaded, most NPCs are willing to leave you alone.

I found the wiki somewhat necessary to understand the crafting system, but it’s logical and doesn’t require too much specificity. Once you have a shard of glass, a lighter, a grocery bag, and a whiskey bottle you’re on your way. A plastic sled doesn’t hurt either.

Also, botany seems extremely powerful. Anybody notice other skills that are particularly badass?

This is now out of early access.

NEO Scavenger has officially launched! After almost four years of development, nearly three of which were in Beta/Early Access, it’s finally time for the big v1.0!

NEO Scavenger is my first commercially released game, and is a sort of love letter to the pen and paper role-playing games I grew up playing. In it, the player takes on the role of a character who wakes up in a strange facility where the world has experienced some cataclysm. Using their wits and anything they can scavenge from their surroundings, they explore this strange wasteland, piecing together clues about their past.

It’s a hard game, where the player must take care to think of everything from dressing appropriately to disinfecting wounds. The story will not come spoon-fed to you, and the game will not hold your hand. But for those who are persistent and clever, rewards and answers await!

I haven’t played this since early 2012. It still looks like they’re using that terrible engine they had before.

I guess nobody is playing this?

I repeatedly got my ass kicked within the first 20 minutes or so, but for some reason it had grabbed me enough to try again. Now I’m sporting a scoped rifle, gask mask, combat boots and a coat made out of dead furry creatures and all the NPCs are running away from ME now!

Anyways, it’s a fun game, even if I don’t quite know what to do next.

It’s a good game, that I’ve only really scratched the surface of. Inventory management is a pain and the lack of availability of any type of backpack/container to carry stuff. Highly recommend based on what I’ve see so far though.

Yeah, I really like the game and have tried it a few times, but I keep bouncing off of it. Any good early-game survival tips that would help me get to where I have some fun equipment and can make real progress?

It’s on my wishlist but it never went on sale over the holidays. I plan on picking it up if it goes on sale or I manage to finish up my current crop of games. I really like what I’ve seen of it so far.

It has the strangest difficulty curve; Extremely RNG in the first half hour or so but if you manage that(needs some luck), you’ll be really strong in no time. I did some of the “main quests” but then I got bored running around and doing the same thing over and over again. Managed to kill two Dogmen in the same fight(one attacked just when the first one died) but I gave up on trying to advance the story as it simply got too samey and uneventful.

I had plenty of containers for stuff and I also found a sled I could haul around with no weight penalty. Duffel bags and good backpacks as well. Even starting eating human flesh just for kicks.