Net Neutrality: Comcast Blocking Netflix

I’m on the phone with Verizon right now. I called to dispute some adds to my bill I never asked for like “Spanish Language Channels” for $5/mo (I don’t speak Spanish), and Tech Support Pro for $10/mo (I work in IT).

Not only did they remove the charges with no argument, they’re crediting me for them with an extra apology credit, and right now I’m getting huge discounts on my service. They must be throwing out discounts to keep people subscribed in light of how pissed everyone is with them for buying off the FCC.

The tally so far

• $20/mo off my TV package
  • $5/mo off HBO
  • 75 Mbps Internet to Gigabit Internet for $10/mo LESS
  • Free Multiroom DVR with more storage and more simultaneous recordings, $20/mo off what I am paying now
  • Upgraded set top boxes

Also the customer service lady is nice and not a raging asshole.

Call Verizon/Comcast today and take advantage of this apparent unadvertised customer retention initiative!

Final tally: I did the whole package they offered me on their website and it threw me another $30/mo web order discount. I got $85/mo off my bill. Holy crap.

You still buy their TV package. More impressive would be someone getting a great deal like this on just internet. Kudos to you, of course, and screw them for everything you can obviously. But I suspect they’re not doing you any favors. Just locking you in to their content system.

I pay for a TV package to watch Spongebob Squarepants and it’s worth every penny so my kids don’t drive me and my wife to an early grave.

I’d like to clarify this for any Trump voters or even Trump apologists. Or even people who didn’t vote at all. It’s your fault. All on you. You fucked up. You caused this. You are the problem. YES YOU. Fuck you so very much. I’m with @ArmandoPenblade on this. You are all scumbags and the shit of the world. Fuck you all so very much.

Okay, just HOW much does it normally cost ? In Denmark a full package with tv and internet (100/50) is around 500 kroner, or 79 dollars in total.

I’m on a promotion but pay around $75/month with Comcast. Gives me 100mb/5mb internet, local tv channels, and hbo. Pretty good but annoying that it’s a promotion.

Here in Western Canada, there’s a 6-month promo for 150/150 fiber for $50CAD for 6 months. My building can’t get it, alas. Fibre, uncapped is gigabit here and the 150/150 is an artificial pricing bracket since their only competition in the form of the cable company can’t provide anything faster on their infrastructure…

Hi I am a human person and my human name is Ted Cruz on planet Earth

This isn’t anything new. Every year I call Comcast and ask them to lower my bill. Sometimes I get a jerk who can’t help so I call back again and again until I get a super nice guy/gal who lowers the bill by a considerable amount for 6 months to a year. Rince and repeat when bill gets high again. We all get overcharged that’s why they can provide such great “deals”.

Initial offers are a big part of this. They completely expect you to not complain when that expires or they otherwise raise their rates. Because most people don’t. Like me! Except my wife is an absolute bird dog on things like this.

Still, thanks to recent changes I now pay for internet what I paid for internet + cable not that long ago. $150 for 300 and now ‘unlimited’! data. Assholes.

If you’re internet only, they give you nothing. The only thing they do for you is push temporary TV package promotions.

If you’re willing to do without for a bit, you can cancel and then get the intro rate again. Really, if you have two carriers competing like we do here, AT&T and Charter, you just jump back and forth. It’s kind of a pain but it works.

I don’t have two carriers, and I am a virtual employee. This is the problem with this entire set-up. There is no valid competitor for most of us, and it’s a system that relies on competitors to chase promotions. It’s ridiculous.

I can use Spectrum or Dish here. My other options are literally slim and none.

Dish is Satellite internet, isn’t it? No one wants that.

Exactly.

My connection has been slowed down by at least 95% since Christmas Eve. I’m tempted to call them, but I know it won’t solve anything.

Me: I’m having this problem with my internet connection…
Frontier: Have you tried… going and fucking yourself?
Me: How dare you! I’m going to switch to another provider?
Frontier: You really want to go back to Comcast?
Me: Uhhh… never mind. About me fucking myself, how did you want me to do that?

You’re doing it wrong. :)

Found out Charter has forced Earthlink off their service- so the best way Charter customers had to lower internet prices is gone.