Netflix launches their version of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure shows

Huh, I might check that out with my son. He would probably get a kick out of it.

Aw man, the thread title had me hoping for TV versions of By Balloon To the Sahara and Journey Under The Sea.

It’s probably rude of me to go off on a tangent three comments in, but I didn’t know where else to put this amazing link: Choose Your Own Adventure Maps. Like, literally the story structure of these classics rendered visually as maps. Context (from the link):

The last installment of the original “Choose Your Own Adventure” series came out in 1998, but since 2004, Chooseco, founded by one of the series’ original authors, R.A. Montgomery, has been republishing classic volumes, as well as new riffs on the form of interactive fiction that seemed ubiquitous in the 1980s and ’90s. The new editions also carry an additional feature—maps of the hidden structure of each book.

[details=Examples inspired by charmtrap (spoilers!, obvs, sorta)]Balloon to the Sahara

Journey Under The Sea

[/details]

they have this show called king of kong or something, where you get to chose some shizle… my son liked it.

People basically build adventure games on Youtube with embedded links, so this makes a lot of sense for Netflix.

I imagine it’ll suffer the same problems every video game ever has: all of the decisions are self-contained, because otherwise you end up with a giant tree of possible futures and no one wants to spend to money to make it all if each branch is only going to be seen by 5% of the viewers.

I know I am not the target audience, but Puss was pretty awful. “Choices” are more like forks in the road that merge back together after playing out.