Netflix movie finds

Oh it’s not just you but it was starting to get out of hand.

I watched this last night; it was OK: part survival, heist, war movie, with a dash of “Alive” (which is a much better film). Oscar Isaac completely carries it, but my favorite lines come from Ben Affleck:

“Sorry kid”

“You will be desecrating your oaths”

He’s come a long way since Good Will Hunting.

It reminded me of the films we used to make in the parks of Tokyo, but with production value. Contra rebels hunting cartel drug lords, that type of thing. Stunts would include dropping out of trees, jumping down inclined planes, and some very basic martial arts. The toy guns we used were mostly obviously fake, like the plastic one that would make a “tk-tk-tk-tk” sound when pulled from a rotating wheel, in decelerando.

One, though, was real wood and metal. It was a cap gun, I think. I was supposed to get disarmed with it in one scene, with a “knife” (vacuum cleaner attachment). During the shot, the prop gun sails in a high parabolic arc terminating directly on top of our long, black-haired, director / writer / cameraman’s head. There is an audible thunk in the final cut. Nobody says “cut” so we both look up and see him storming around, bent over like an L, swearing in exquisite silence not far from the tripod. He didn’t want to ruin the shot.

This guy had an impressive amount of Xenomorph action figures lining the walls of his bedroom, and he also got me started playing Marathon on his Mac.

I never understood why we need to distinguish ‘television’ series from ‘movies’ which each having their own subforum. There is no difference between them except an arbitrary time limit, and even that is vague at time.

Take for example Marvel Cinematic Universe or Star Wars. The both act like seasonal plot driven television series, no different from Deep Space Nine or Game of Thrones really, except in length and scale. Every MCU movie is a single episode in the greater series that the entire MCU.

Another confusing example are the stories of Sherlock Holmes or Poirot. Most of the novels have been adopted as both movies and TV shows, but when the television show can run 102 minutes long, is it still a television show? Does it become a movie?

If I wanted to discuss Psych: The Movie, should I create a whole new thread. It’s called a movie and it’s longer the the 45 minute run time of the show, but isnt it more of a longer episode?

Movies based on tv shows does defy the convention, but I see a pretty clear line between a story that is told in one piece like a movie, vs one that is told episodically like a show.

But the differentiation is blurring a little. It is weird that there’s several threads about Entourage in the TV forum and one about the Entourage movie in the movie forum. But that’s still rare.

I think Psych should probably be discussed wherever we talked about The Mentalist followup movies. Anyone know the answer to that one?

The other forums I visit tend to just have an Entertainment forum that covers both movies and TV shows. That said they still have movie specific or show specific threads i.e. 80s Sci-Fi movies.

I submit the Poirot Television Show as an example of a television that is more like a movie. Each episode is completely self contained, and with the exception of the characters, dont really build on each. The episodes started 33 minutes in length, but later ones had a run time of 102 minutes. Only a few episodes where made a year.

With the exception of the frequency, what I am describing could just as easily be a Bond Movie.

I submit that the differences between television and movies come down to the same nebulous arguments that said that MC:U isn’t Cinema or that movies that aren’t shown in theaters don’t show how count for awards.

Quick plug for the movie “Lockout”. It’s a pretty fun take on the “Escape from NY” template that got lost in the shuffle about 8 years ago. Guy Pearce is charismatic in the leading role. Dialogue is fairly light and quippy, along with solid action. It’s a low budget B movie, but a very well executed one.

Warning: opening 5 minutes has some terrible CGI

I had to look this up because sounded familiar but I couldn’t place it and it’s the outer space rescue one with Maggie Grace! I am a Guy Pierce fanboy so I am sure I enjoyed it and I think I just might watch it again. Cheesiness doesn’t bother me!

Thread. I thought it was pretty dumb.

Late to the party, but I enjoyed Extraction a lot, also helps that after the Thor movies I am a big fan of Chris Hemsworth.

Extraction was fine to watch. Not a lot of thinking involved. But that ending where they pretty much show that he somehow survived all of that left me rather annoyed.

Extraction felt like watching 2 hours of Call of Duty cut scenes. I mean it was fine and obviously exciting. I just find it funny that some movies are now aspiring to be video games, when for years it’s been games that have been striving to be cinematic.

I saw a number of movies over the weekend, including:

• Whatever Happened to Monday: Noomi Rapace (who I will always think of as “that actor from Prometheus, ewww”) plays seven identical fugitive septuplets, hiding and eking out an existence in a world where a worldwide one child policy is in place, and where other siblings are normally sent into cryosleep. Each sister is named for a day of the week and one day Monday doesn’t come home. Each sister has a different personality, sort of like Black Orphan only it’s a movie (there’s one I only thought of as “the blonde”). Also stars Glenn Close and Willem Dafoe.

• Into The Forest: Ellen Page and Evan Rachel Wood play two sisters living in the Pacific Northwest with their dad when one day civilization ends (with a whimper, not a bang). This is how they cope and survive (or don’t cope and don’t survive!). Ellen Page reminds me of her character from The Last of Us even though this movie isn’t anything like the video game. Also, it rains a metric buttload in the Pacific Northwest.

• The Discovery: Robert Redford is a scientist who has discovered that our soul goes somewhere else (“better”) after we die. This means they are now in a world where unhappy people kill themselves because they want to get to the better place. So suicide is now a global problem. Jason Segal is Redford’s distant son, who doesn’t buy it and who meets and gets involved with a troubled Rooney Mara on the way to visit dad. Jesse Plemons plays Segal’s brother.

I liked 'em all, thought they were worth watching.

Edited because some people are sticklers for accuracy

This one’s Into the Forest, not a completely different take on the musical!

That can’t be right @rowe33, Into the Forest stars Evan Rachel Wood; @Charlatan is talking about a Rachel Even Wood film.

How much wood could a Rachel Evan Wood chuck if a Evan Rachel Wood chuck could chuck wood?

But I do believe they’re still on the same Page.

No need to bring Kate Mara into this.