Netflix movie finds

Sooooo…trying for a Team America vibe? And failing even at that?

That is just wow fail.

Heh. I’m always down for content mocking 'Murica.

I lasted about 5 minutes into this.

It’s terrible. Listen to @Menzo. Don’t waste your time. I’ve even deleted it from my viewing history so Netflix won’t think I condone garbage like this.

There were a couple of funny bits for me. Most of the side-eye stuff with Geronimo voiced by Raoul Trujillo and the Blacksmith voiced by Killer Mike landed well, but just about everything else was flat or annoying.

I’m kind of shocked that this came from Lord and Miller.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing and agree; those couple parts made me chuckle. The rest seemed to miss the mark. I don’t know if it was a matter of trying to fit everything on the writer’s table in at every possible moment or something else, but I felt none of the humor ever got a chance to breathe and lacked any cohesion. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it in an altered state.

Menzo’s warning doesn’t seem to be working. All y’all are still watching this dang movie anyway.

Haha. Well, I was tempted to watch and Menzo has successfully waved me off of it.

So +1

You did yourself a favor; I watched it before seeing the warning, lol. To be clear; I have seen plenty worse films. However, in an age of nearly unlimited choice, nobody should subject themselves to this.

I watched America the Motion Picture and spent a very confused 30 minutes trying to figure out what I was watching. Then I did, and LOVED the rest of the movie. It’s a movie supposedly about American history that is really a critique of America now. They poke a ton of fun at current American culture and attitudes in an upbeat action comedy.

I think the key to enjoying this movie is to understand that it is not in any fashion trying to be historically accurate. Not a bit. Not even a tiny amount. Instead it’s weaving a fun animated adventure tale that riffs on current America’s problems using a psuedo-historical backdrop that is just full of hilarious anachronisms.

Hard to see how anyone might think it is.

Right? I don’t think anyone in their right mind thought it would be historically accurate. I figured it would be similar to Team America, a completely ridiculous skewering of American exceptionalism, jingoism, and hypocrisy. Which it was. I just didn’t think it was funny, but comedy is subjective.

Yeah, I was just totally uninterested in watching a bunch of jacked-up bros being super cliche and exploding shit for another hour. But perhaps my yuck is your yum.

Exactly. I just gave it 20 minutes, and while I don’t give two shits one way or the other about the “message” it just wasn’t funny. Stuff that was funny because it was new 20 years ago, yes, but it’s not 20 years ago.

Well it’s obvious from moment one that they are playing fast and loose with history but there’s a gap between “loosely based on history” and “completely made up story that has a few historical names” so it took me awhile to peg this. I honestly think that the naming and marketing did them a grave disservice. Once the right expectations are established anyone who liked Archer should love this movie.

As someone that likes Archer and Frisky Dingo I thought this looked terrible from the trailers.

Definitely an Archer fan, but the film was quite disappointing to me. Not the worst, but I was hoping for/expecting something better than what I got. Just pure imho; I’m not a professional critic not making any assertion of authority. I actually suspect I would have liked it more without any expectations.

Rouruni Kenshin: The Beginning, while not obscure, was pretty good as Japanese sword flicks go. The fighting was pleasantly athletic and visceral (though with more than necessary viscera) so that I enjoyed the entire thing wrapped around it, for the most part. If you enjoyed the end fight in 13 Assassins, particularly where the big guy had his moment against a dozen foes, it’s worth a watch.

I was rather underwhelmed by the Kingdom movie, Ashin of the North, though I wasn’t watching it in the best of circumstances so my judgment may not be entirely fair. Nothing much happens for two thirds of the running time, and there’s never really any horde type action or much political intrigue. If you’re really invested in the lore, it’s worth watching, I suppose.

Atomic Blonde + D.O.A.

I guess after Gemini Man, she told her agents she wanted to be in more movies where she kicks ass and gets covered in blood.

The Losers is on Netflix now y’all.