Netflix movie finds

Yep, thumbs up from me as well for The Summit of the Gods.

Yeah, Yoko and Mizuki are kinda wasted. Yoko definitely could be employed more. And Mizuki’s around only to be victimized again - even if it’s to a lesser degree and only as a means to blackmail her colleague. Also, the first movie paints her as a kindhearted person and potential love interest, while the second one doesn’t even have ‘good friend’ vibes anymore and, for a moment, has her even laugh at Akira together with her boss.

That said, the two action setpieces are terrific indeed.

Watching Fable due to the recommendations above and it’s interesting so far. There are some stuff I don’t get but I think those are mainly cultural.

The House, stop motion, three short films kind of absurdist, one horror, the other still dark and borderline, and one a bit less so.

Anyone saw Mother / Android?
Blurb:
“In a post-apocalyptic world rocked by a violent android uprising, a young pregnant woman and her boyfriend desperately search for safety.”

I watched for Chloë Grace Moretz as I enjoyed most things I seen her in. This movie was boring though. I ended up giving up halfway. Too much filler and too much meandering.

This movie?

Thanks. I’d never heard of it. I’ll put it on my list of things to watch next time I get Hulu. I guess not many countries have Hulu outisde the U.S., so it makes sense that it’s on Netflix wherever you are.

I confused Mother/Android with this movie, which I really liked.

That’s why I actually click on Mother / Android. I thought I am Mother was an excellent movie. I thought it was a followup of a sort.

Edit: quoted the wrong person

Yeah, that’s the one I thought he meant too, until Choe grace Moretz was mentioned.

A little sense, but not a lot, given that the “natural” home for Hulu stuff in the UK (and many other non-US countries) is Disney+, though a lot of older Hulu shows are not on it for contractual reasons. I’d have thought this would have been after Disney started locking stuff up, but apparently not, as it’s on Netflix here.

As to the film itself, I didn’t bother watching as the reviews were so bad.

Mother / Android is terrible - I had trouble with how little sense it made and I love robot apocalypse movies. I am Mother is a much better film.

Netflix surfaced a 2021 Japanese movie The Door Into Summer, based on the Heinlein novel of the same name, which I’ve always been fond of.

It’s wretched. Its main sin is being boring; it stretches out the setup to half the movie, then rushes through the resolution; underexplaining almost everything, but when it does stop to explain something, it does it unbelievably poorly. I really hope the Japanese dialog is better than the subtitles. It keeps the basic plot of the book (updated, of course, for modern-ish times), and keeps the vague sexism, but jettisons anything that would make the movie entertaining.

The lead (Kento Yamazaki, the same guy from Alice in Borderland) is charming and charismatic, but he has nothing to do here.

Do not recommend! Read the book instead.

Oh yeah, I thought the Summer movie had an interesting premise. The resolution was lame. The causal loops in time travel give me a headache. I suspect if I rewatch the movie it would all be a bunch of trick the watcher stuff and I will get more annoyed.

Paper Tigers is a watchable action/comedy. It starts with footage of kids in the 90s learning martial arts and follows them into middle age when they deal with divorces and well, getting old.

Mathew Page is great in the movie. He made the movie for me imo.

Just watched The House, a very weird anthology of stop-motion animated fables that are sort of horror-adjacent. Highly recommended. The animation is fantastic, and I was pleasantly surprised to encounter Jarvis Cocker voicing one of the protagonists. He also does the credits song, so do keep watching.

I watched that too, and while I certainly appreciated the artistry of the stop-motion and the high-quality voice acting, I didn’t quite get the point. What were they trying to say here?

I think the through line is house v. home and people over focused, generally to their detriment, on the former.

I finally watched Raw which showed up on Netflix recently. Hadn’t watched it before. It wasn’t what I expected, though it was approximately as queasy-making as I expected. Share’s some DNA with Gaspar Noe’s Climax, but I liked Raw better. Now I’m ready for Titane.

We shall see.

-Tom

The Florida Project AKA I forgot how much I generally loath child actors, and shit behavior err lack of decorum?

Also how the fuck did they get into Disney World at the end? It’s a montage but they conveniently omit the ticket gate. I guess in the end it doesn’t matter though. It’s children running away to Fantasyland.