Netflix presents Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen

What? No specific thread for this? Surprisingly enjoyable this was. I guess his 1-trick point isn’t as insufferable as a 2 hour block.

The wife and I loved this. Each episode kept raising the stakes. A satisfying conclusion. Quality stuff.

I posted about this on one of the other threads but don’t think I got any replies. We enjoyed the first few episodes and need to get back to it. Really, there are many shows to try and keep track of these days. But this is one of the better ones and very fun, indeed.

Guy Ritchie is quite good at seemingly naturally arriving at a place where a cigar-smoking man in a chicken suit is wilding down country roads on an ATV while high on cocaine and toting a shotgun.

Thought this show was based in England, not far northeast Oklahoma?

This was very good, as several people noted in the Netflix general thread.

Another vote here for thoroughly enjoying “The Gentleman”. Each episode was more outrageous than the last, and yet somehow managed to still build a tense and satisfying story with a worthy conclusion. Some very good acting in this as well. There is room for a Season Two, so I hope they have one planned and that Netflix picks it up.

Nice, this show wasn’t on my radar until I saw this thread. I’ll have to check it out.

Liked it as well. Felt a bit less snappy than your typical Ritchie movie, but that also has its upsides because his kinetic approach tends to veer into ‘style over substance’ territory. Charming characters, and some memorable scenes. Tommy Dixon screaming at Freddie to “be the chicken” was both, absolutely intense and hilarious. Also enjoyed this mix of religious devotion and somewhat supernatural sensibilities that John Dixon brought to the table. I wish the conflict between Eddie and Susie had last maybe one more episode because it was fun seeing them try to outmaneuver each other while officially working together.

Was less enarmoured by Giancarlo Esposito because it felt like typecasting. I like the actor, but Stanley Johnston to me was more or less an OCD-less version of Gus Fring and thus very much ‘been there, done that’ territory.

Also thought the way things resolved was a bit rushed given that they had 8 episodes to to tell the story. Eddie’s pivot from wanting out to rallying everyone to invest to bid for the business seemed a bit sudden to me. Yes, he was kinda good at running everything together with Susie and he knew it, but anyway. And the John Dixon thread being concluded with a phone call from Bobby Glass had a deus ex machina ring to it.

It’s been a few years since I watched The Gentlemen movie and I only recall some of its characters. Was there any connective tissue at all between the movie and the series other than the name?

The main characters of the movie are the criminals executing the weed farm on posh estates scheme. I am currently unclear whether they are sharing a world or the series is merely riffing on the basic idea. But I am only halfway through the series and barely remember the movie.

The XXVI amendment to the Constitution specifies that Esposito has to have screen time in every show being streamed.

Not a big fan of Ritchie nor the show. And I’m kind of surprised Sacha Baron Cohen hasn’t sued.

What was the point of the conversation at the end between Groundskeeper Willy and Charlotte?

Basically that she suspected all along that Geoff was her real father and she was totally cool with it and he should be too. I thought that little side story between the Duchess, Geoff and the daughter was kind of sweet.