Netflix to Release Orson Welles' Final Film: The Other Side of the Wind

32 years after Orson Welles passed away, and nearly 47 since he began working on it, there’s finally a chance his final completed film might see the light of day. According to The New York Times, Netflix has committed to releasing The Other Side of the Wind, which stars John Huston, Dennis Hopper, Edmond O’Brien, and Peter Bogdanovich.

A couple of years ago, [URL=“http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/04/orson-welles-the-other-side-of-the-wind-making-of”]Vanity Fair[/URL] posted an amazing excerpt of Josh Karp’s book which details the films troubled history.

“After all these years, I can’t quite believe we are starting post production on ‘The Other Side of the Wind,’” producer Frank Marshall said. “Thanks to Netflix, we have been able to assemble an amazingly talented post-production team to take on the exciting and daunting challenge of completing Orson’s last film. It was an extraordinary experience to work with him 40 years ago and it will be an honor to help see his vision finally come together on the screen.”

Exciting news. This one has been in limbo for so long I’d almost forgotten about it. Oja Kodar doesn’t come across super great in the accounts I’ve read of the negotiations.

Yes, even though Josh Karp’s tell-all book treads very carefully whenever Oja’s involved, he makes it clear that she certainly delayed efforts to move forward by reneging on various deals (e.g. Showtime). I guess it’s such a tricky project because although fans and cinephiles want to see another Welles film no matter the condition, the filmmaker’s family and colleagues will likely want to avoid anything that could damage his legacy, like a repeat of Jess Franco disastrous effort to revive Don Quixote, at all costs.

There was an article in a 2016 edition of Cinema Journal that deep dived into the production history of Don Quuxite. The researcher revealed there was additional, usable footage located in various archives around the world which the world would likely never see, as Welles’ family is reluctant to hand the reigns over to an outside party. As part of the promotion, I believe Netflix is producing a documentary on The Other Side of the Wind to release simultaneously with the film, which should help contextualize the work since it’s going to be 40 years divorced from its cultural context.

There were times where it seemed like the universe was actively working to sabotage any efforts for this film to reach completion. It even makes troubled projects from other mediums, works like DNF and Chinese Democracy, look like small potatoes by comparison! Even if the final film doesn’t come together, I’m completely content with anything that offers a glimpse into what Welles producing on the fringes of New Hollywood looked like.