Netrunner returns (Fantasy Flight Games)

From the Corp side, I think I like Weyland, but they’re hard to play right now. Never let the corp keep the Mining card out in play for more than a turn. Talk about getting rich for three clicks. (Unless you’re playing Criminal, then you let them build up a stash, and then take it from them.)

You can play it online… http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=494

Whoops, wrong thread. More on topic, also excited about Netrunner. :-)

Is there bad publicity mechanics in the game? That’s my brother’s preferred way of winning as a runner.

Yes, but its changed. Each bad publicity equals a credit when the runner runs that can be used on that run. It’s like a credit pool.

I’ve only played a few games so far but Netrunner is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I’ve avoided reading too much about the current meta game for now and have just been building decks which I’m sure are terrible but I’m still looking forward to trying them out to see what happens. If you’re putting your own decks together, give the Meteor deckbuilder site a shot, it’s really easy to use and works pretty well even on mobile devices. Sometimes when I need to kill some time I’ll fire up netrunnercards.info and browse through the cards to get ideas for new decks. Both sites are really cool and I prefer them both to the clunky cardgamedb UI.

I’ve played a couple of FFG LCGs before but this was the first one I liked enough to give Octgn a try. This tutorial was pretty useful for getting started, especially the Youtube video that’s included. I’m cathcart on Octgn and I’m a total noob but if anyone is looking to try it out I should be around this weekend looking for some games.

I might set up Octgn this weekend for playing next week. Gonna be working on my decks tonight, as my FLGS is having a tournament tomorrow afternoon that I can’t wait to participate in. Not sure yet which decks to use though. I’m fond of Gabriel Santiago and my expose/derez runner deck, and my Haas Bioroid deck which needs some major tuning (more ice, less operations.)

NBN calls to me though, and I haven’t had a chance to even look through the new cards from the latest data pack.

Mike was courteous enough to show me the ropes in OCTGN. This is really a great game, and I’m very glad FFG brought it back. If anyone wants to play, pm me and we can figure out a time or exchange usernames!

Qt3 needs a Netrunner league. Also, Netrunner needs a better online implementation. OCTGN, or OCTAGON, or Octagon!, or whatever you’re supposed to call it, can be painful. But until you get local buddies who are also playing the game, it’ll have to do.

-Tom

I was actually about to post that I like this game enough to look into Dave Perkinsing it. If there’s enough interest.

That was a fun game with Mark. We were 5-5 on his last turn when he tried to run archives, which would have won him the game. I managed to hold him off and score an agenda right after that to seal it. Very close. Then many arrows were drawn on the board. Yay for learning Octgn.

I’ve been playing Netrunner on OCTGN for a bit now. In total I’ve played about a dozen games. I’ve got all four data packs to date and I’m willing to share my uncensored sets with people who have bought the packs as well. I’m “Rorscach” on the service.

Only played a few games of this so far but it is compelling! What with this and X-Wing, Fantasy Flight are on a total roll at the moment.

I both want to and dread looking into this game. I have heard a lot of good things about it, but I am starting to think of LCGs as MMOs as they are more or less a card game with a monthly subscription and playing more than one feels like a waste of money as the personal time resource can’t keep up. Sure you can just not play for awhile, but then the buy back up to current is a killer.

Since spoilers for a pack tend to get posted pretty quickly, you could cherry pick the packs you want too.

Of course this is true to a point, especially in competitive play. But the other night against Mike I was one piece of ice away from winning, and I was only using the core set. I’m pretty sure he had at least some expansion cards.

I have noticed that we seem to like some of the same games, so I feel it my responsibility to tell you that Netrunner is really pretty awesome. The sides are wildly assymteric, and the tension during a run is palpable. The theme is really integrated well its the gameplay, too- the cards “feel like” the things they are supposed to represent, the snozzberries taste like snozzberries, etc. Even ice and icebreaker cards often seem to somehow fit with their abilities, viz. Femme Fatale.

Anyway, read the rules, and watch a game or two over at boardgame geek if you’re so inclined and have the time. You may find it worth your while and worth your scrip.

Played in a tournament today. Lost with both my decks (hb, criminal). Got a nifty extended/alternate art version of Melange Mining Corp.

It’s perfectly reasonable to just buy the base set, and having a game to play with others like any other board game. It’s not like you can’t play the game if you don’t pay a monthly fee.

Yeah, as far as LCGs go, Netrunner is so far pretty innocuous as a business model. I am a bit concerned with what frequent updates will do to the long-term balance/elegance, but for now, it’s completely reasonable (one $25 core set, and four $10 add-ons). There’s also some weirdness with a few cards in the core set coming only singly or in pairs when you’re allowed three copies of any card in a deck. A true powerplayer is going to have to buy three copies of the core game.

But you totally need this game, Chaplin. I half considered swinging by your house after GDC with a copy of the game to try to indoctrinate you. :) Also, this is a pretty complex game, so it’s not something you’d be able to enjoy with a kiddo. But as far as two-player games go, this is easily one of the best.

-Tom

I’m not really going to argue with that since powerplayer probably means crazy person, but I think FFG was good about card distribution in the core set. Obviously they make more money when people buy multiple copies of the core set but leaving out a bunch of cards reduces the total cost of the core set (maybe?) and also makes it easier to build starter decks. Just take all of the cards from a color, mix in neutrals and you’re done. If they had included 3 of each you’d have to either reduce the number of unique cards or require more fiddling before you can actually play.

What I really like is that I don’t feel compelled to have 3 of any of the cards that are limited to one per core since I’m pretty sure they’re all uniques anyway. I don’t like putting 3 of a card in my deck when I can only use one so I usually limit those to 2. So yeah, you probably end up buying 2 core sets, but unlike the LOTR and AGOT LCGs I think I can stop there.

Netrunner: it’s not as ridiculous as other LCGs!

Well, you suck at deckbuilding, so of course you don’t mind. OH SNAP! SICK BRUN VS TEH CATHCART!!!1!

Basically, a unique card tends to be powerful enough that you want three of them in your deck to maximize the chance of drawing it. Sansan City Grid, the various runner decks, and Corporate Troubleshooter, for instance, could easily be the basis for a deck concept, but you only get one copy of those cards when you buy the set. I don’t buy that it was somehow more cost effective to print those cards singly, but, hey, have three Wyldsides and Aesop’s Pawnshops!

But I still agree that it’s nowhere near as insidious as some other LCGs. And to Fantasy Flight’s credit, you get three of every card in the add-ons, including the identity cards that you can only use once. That’s some practical printing cost analysis there!

-Tom