Neuromancer the series

10 episodes on Apple TV+

It is going to be so disappointing when the sky isn’t the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.

I’m most excited to find out if the production design will go for an '80s cassette futurism cyberpunk (“Reaganpunk”) look, or something that would look sleek and futuristic to our jaded 2020s bionic eyes.

I’m pretty sure I get that when I look out the window today.

I still haven’t seen The Peripheral yet, despite (or perhaps because) I love the books so much. Hopefully this will do better.

Yeah, but does that mean

or

?

Second one is the original intention, but yeah, you must be of a certain age to know that. :D

Maybe just a spinning circle?

We’ve got a couple of co-creators/showrunner types.

But I’ll hold off my excitement for this until we see a couple of actors attached. That’s when it gets really real!

After the crushing disappointment of The Peripheral, I’m not going to get excited about this at all. And Peripheral would have been easier to do well than Neuromancer, where the technology has changed out from under the story so much. It could still be done well… but I have no reason to think it will be.

I enjoyed The Peripheral show as a light techno-thriller, not having read the books. But I have read this trilogy and would be disappointed if it were done in a similar style. They need to be weirder.

I recently re-read the novel and enjoyed it and its sequels. I think it will be challenging to capture the 1980s dystopian cyber-futurism in a way that will work for an audience for whom that era might as well be that of ancient Greece and Persia. Worse, really, because for stuff like Alexander or Thermopylae we don’t usually have many preconceptions, and so much is just flat-out alien to modern viewers. But the 1980s is simultaneously so close and yet so far, far away…

I dunno, I thought Stranger Things, in a completely different way, recaptured a lot of 80s vibe, feelings, looks, etc.

But yeah, this one is all in for that future look and I wonder the same. If 100% to written setting, how will this play for audiences today?

Good point on Stranger Things, but that was trying to recapture what was more or less the 80s the way folks actually perceived it, not the future as seen from the eighties. Then again, all sci fi is sort of prisoner to the time in which it arises.

Who is going to play the Finn?

Buscemi or Dafoe is my head casting, but probably not in the budget.

I don’t really see this working, but I’d love to be surprised. So much of what’s amazing about the book is how everything is described and written. When you just show those things, it’s just going to look like all the stuff that took inspiration from it afterwards.

I still remember when Chris Cunningham was going to adapt with Aphex doing the score. That was like 25 years ago, but what a “what if” for me…

Edit: I just saw that this is produced by Drake. Well there’s all my fears laid to rest.

Thinking about what they did to The Peripheral, Amazon is going to botch this show badly.

This isn’t Amazon, though. It’s Apple that’s going to botch this show badly.

Ah, right, my bad.

Just think of what Apple did to Foundation 😄

Maybe next someone can do Snow Crash