New Brink screens

Yeah, I played it at E3 and had a blast. Then I played it at home and… well

WTF? This has to be the weirdest game resurrection. Free-to-play Brink? Who is this for?

I am reinstalling right now! :p

And… its worse than I recall!

Brink was fun for a few days.

Brink was fun against the bots until you hit a level where the attacking bots just weren’t good enough to overcome the defenses with you (thinking that missile launch level).

Heh

How the hell did a Brink thread get 1,600 posts? And I actually quite liked it.

I loved Brink and was only lamenting its demise the other day. I even had another look at the Dirty Bomb store page last night. I miss the Ark though.

Crazy timing then. This is amazing news but I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit it in, sadly. I ought to try because I never expected to see it fill with players again.

Hmmm, I should download this and try it again.

When Brink released it was one of the worst performing games I have ever played on my PC. Severe hangs, CTDs, and system lockups. I couldn’t play past 15 minutes without some major problem shutting down my game.

Which makes Bethesda’s 2011 announcement a bit embarrassing:

“Production wrapped on Brink earlier than we planned and we didn’t see any reason to keep gamers from getting their hands on this highly anticipated game as soon as it was ready,” said Pete Hines, VP of PR and Marketing for Bethesda Softworks. “It’s apparent from the tremendous reaction so far that people are eager to jump online and play, and if we can make that happen earlier – we’re going to.”

Time heals wounds though and I can forgive those sins. Maybe I can see if the promise is finally fulfilled 6 years later.

I played some time after launch and had nary a hiccup, which I think explains my fond memories of it. I also didn’t get wrapped up in all the hype despite my love for Quake Wars. The community was small but that meant that you got some rapport going with familiar names/faces.

I’d highly recommend anyone returning to it to do the ‘challenges’ which should have been called ‘tutorials’. They show you how to do most of the actions in the game and unlock all the weapons if I recall correctly.

I remember my copy of Brink came late through mail, so in the end I played a month after release. So I skipped most problems with ctds, game browser and others.

It’s free, so why not take a a couple of hours and download it and play through the SP with some bots just to see what all the fuss was about? At the very least, you can see what lead Splash Damage to Dirty Bomb.

Geezus.

Hold on to your hats.

Would rather everyone play Dirty Bomb than either of those. Didn’t like brink, thought Dirty Bomb was pretty good.

Funny that LawBreakers is doing worse than Brink, I guess it will drop off soon enough though, but kudos for at least going F2P for those who haven’t tried it.

I did play Dirty Bomb but I missed the parkour, character and gear customisation. Otherwise, it still had that great objective-driven gameplay I love Splash Damage for.

Just had an hour or so of Brink. It felt weird at first, much jankier than I remember. Then I started to get back into the groove of it and it felt good. Then it started to feel laggy and janky again. Then it disconnected me a few times. Then it crashed.

I’d rather keep my memories intact and stick to Titanfall 2 and Splatoon 2, or give Dirty Bomb another go! It was nice to see folk in-game again though and I was still pretty good at it despite the years away.

This I never understood.

Parkour was hyped up beyond belief and featured heavily in all of the cinematics and marketing. The actual execution seemed rather limp. Awkward vaulting over prescribed locations by holding down a key. The parkour mechanic didn’t make me feel like I was mastering movement around and through a level (like Titanfall does) but felt like something I had to suffer through to get to my objective. When I could get the game to run it felt like a silly gimmick rather than a memorable feature.

It was hyped up too much for what was ultimately a very welcome quality of life addition. Sliding under and vaulting over things while sprinting was really nice and it was so great to finally be able to mantle up to higher areas like I could in Thief many years before. You could even lean around corners to take pot shots. Wall running was a thing too but as a heavy/medium character I didn’t do much of that. Some folk were really good at it though.

I remember playing Dirty Bomb and seeing a window part way up a wall. I knew it didn’t have the SMART system
but I was certain there was a way to get up there by wall jumping into the corners and up. I tried for ages but every time I got near the window my character would just clumsily hit the frame and fall down. The SMART system got rid of all that and just allowed me to get on with playing and moving into the right positions from the right angles.

I found that the biggest problem relating to SMART was that most of the maps didn’t have much verticality to really capitalise on it. Founders’ Tower, a map in the Agents of Change DLC, was just the ticket but that came too late. But as I said, I think it’s more a quality of life addition than the game-defining feature it was made out to be. Unfortunately, it was a quality of life feature I missed in most subsequent shooters (and had missed since Thief!). I noticed that the next Battlefied, BF3, I think, featured vaulting which I was really happy about. Titanfall obviously took the whole thing to new heights with faster and much more fluid movement. I love Titanfall!

Yeah its hard to go back to Brink after playing something like Titanfall 1/2. I had good times with it, and don’t regret my purchase all those years ago.

How many concurrent players does Battleborn have in that same time?