New Build won't POST

Hi all,
Flush with enthusiasm and money from my 40th I decided to put together a new PC build (re-using my current GPU until the current issues improve).

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7pdKMv

I’ve flashed the BIOS by USB to make the motherboard compatible with my 5800x and as far as I can tell all went as expected. Put everything else together and I’m getting a 00 error code on the motherboards digital display. This doesn’t correspond to any particular error according to the motherboard manual, but searching online might mean a dead CPU or motherboard. I don’t think it’s a PSU issue as all fans etc spin up happily.

I’ve tried single RAM sticks in all the different slots, taken the GPU out tried the BIOS flash a couple more times, once with the previous version. I’m going to take out the CPU and see if there’s any obviously bent pins next.

Anyone with more experience have any other troubleshooting ideas before I RMA? Also if I do RMA is it worth sending the MOBO and CPU back at the same time, as I don’t have any spares of either that would be used to test?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Does the LED display go through a series of codes when you boot it before arriving at 00? The manual doesn’t mention what the final code would be in a working system (it seems to be AA for my asus one). Just wondering if it actually booted ok but you’re just not seeing anything since the problem may lie with the graphics card/cable/monitor instead.

You’ve already tried an older BIOS version but I’d consider going back even further; can’t hurt I guess.

Finally, make sure the two CPU power cables as well as the ATX power cable are fully plugged in - including making sure they ain’t loose in your PSU if you’re using a modular one (I’ve had one slip out slightly on the PSU in the past which had me pulling hair for a good half hour).

Is there anyway you can put your old CPU in and see if it boots with that?

Google suggests the code may be D0.

Don’t go too old on the BIOS, of course; motherboards need one of the more recent ones to register the Ryzen 5xxx CPUs. Still, that would throw a proper error instead of “00.” But yeah, my guess is you’re going to need to RMA your motherboard, unfortunately.

Try removing everything from the motherboard except the PSU connectors, then use BIOS Flashback.

I have that CPU/MB combo. Need to double-check when I get home, but I think my BIOS is a beta version that is no longer listed on their site.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate the help

No just sits at 00 unfortunately

I’ve gone back as far as is compatible with the CPU I think, what I didn’t do with the second flashback is remove everything other than the motherboard and CPU power cables (this is what the manual recommends) due to rampant laziness, so I may give it a go again this way. I’ve tried the fit on all the cables again but will give it another try tonight.

No old CPU to try unfortunately as my last PC is intel based.

I’d spotted that too with my initial googling, but it defo looks like a 00. I’ve seen elsewhere that this indicates it not starting the POST process at all (if this is the case it would be useful to make mention in the manual though)

That’s what I thought too, but was hoping I might have missed something which didn’t mean packing the bloody thing back up!

It’s heartening to know its possible to get them to play nice together at least!

I think my next move is to take it apart, check CPU for bent pins, try one more go at flashing the BIOS with just the cables and if no joy give it up as a bad job and send the motherboard back. Is there anything to gain by sending the CPU back at the same time?

Might be worth removing everything - including the cpu - and seeing if it gives a different error code. If it’s still 00 regardless of what you do at least it somewhat suggests that it’s just the mobo at fault. Depends on the return policy, but it may still be more expedient just to send both bits back rather than get one bit returned just to still have the same issue…

It does indeed stay at 00 no matter what I do.

I’ve flashed the BIOS again as directed in the manual. I’ve got the mobo out of the case and everything set up on the back of its box and it’s still showing 00 so I don’t think it’s a short from the case. I might have one last go at flashing the BIOS and otherwise back it goes!

You’ve done RAM move-around which would have been my first guess. Bad CPU contact or something wrong with the attachment thereof would be the second guess.

But the BIOS flashing is concerning. One bad move there and you have a bricked mobo and it sure sounds like that might be the case. If possible, before return maybe try a ticket with the mobo maker and see what they recommend.

Thanks Skipper tickets been submitted as per your suggestion.

In the meantime I’ve had a potential eureka moment. I decided to do one last try using a different (older and shittier) USB pen drive. Same process same as with the previous one but now I’m getting actual activity on the digital readout.

So it appears you might be right and the BIOS flashing was the problem. Thankfully though I (might be) on the right side of it!

Thanks for all the help guys

Thank fuck! Thanks again for the help guys, I’m going to bed!

Hurray!

Hell yes, nothing better than a good solution! Awaiting a post of it up and running a game to confirm your memory/CPU are good to go and things come back on the new system.

Awesome!!!

The fact that a pen drive can disable/kill a motherboard… bothers me. I, mean, ideally a bad pen drive should not work at all, period. Not seem like it works but then not really work.

The weirdest thing is that there’s nothing wrong with the first stick at all, in fact it’s newer, larger and fancier than the one that ended up working.

I had read that people had issues with some USB sticks but as the whole BIOS flashing process seemed to be completing as expecting it wasn’t top of my list as the culprit.

I wonder whether it’s the “fanciness” that counted against it, I suppose whatever the motherboard uses to run the BIOS flashing process must be pretty bare-bones without a CPU and perhaps it can’t cope with a quicker larger stick. Would be nice if they made mention of that in the manual though!

Maybe the BIOS or flashing utility expects it to be formatted in a particular way, but the huge capacity means it can’t be.

[ed]

(Older formats are very inefficient on huge drives.)

Could well be the case, a footnote in the manual would have been super useful though!

MSi have already replied to my support ticket and I’ve let them know about the solution, maybe they can add it in the next edition!

Yeah, pretty sure they always have to be FAT32. If they didn’t specify that in the manual, that’s very shoddy (though MB manuals are notoriously shoddy).