New Fallout 3 Info

The battle system sounds like a mod of the KOTOR system, which I liked quite a bit. My biggest question with the change in perspective is how they’d handle modern weaponry, like rocket launchers. It sounds like they addressed that. Color me excited.

Yeah, it sort of sounds that way. Or if it pauses completely (rather than just slowing things down), then it’s probably more like the “pause and aim” feature in Red Steel.

That seems like a good way to carry the concept of AP and aiming over into a realtime game to me. The rest of the stuff mentioned sounds very Fallout-y. I approve.

I also approve of this. I also want a special NMA only mode where there is no S.P.E.C.I.A.L., only first person view and the game can’t be paused.

Lol. And, lo behold, there was furious gnashing of teeth and bereaved wailing at NMA…

You would not believe the number of arguments I’ve gotten into at the office about the balance (or, in my view, complete and utter lack thereof) in the Elder Scrolls character progression system.

The Oblivion defenders around here refuse to admit that the progression mechanic – which is even worse in TES IV than it was in previous incarnations, due to the retarded “leveled” system – is horribly broken and shitty. Is it not obvious?

Anyway, /derail. Fallout looks awesome, and the VATS thing will make more sense (though it’s still a bit confusing) when you read the actual article.

This almost made me want to visit NMA to see what they hate about what’s been announced. Fortunately I had an attack of sanity.

Color me naive but I figured that was mostly people being smart asses. When Fallout regularly makes it into the top 5 (or even top 3) of “Best PC Games Ever” and “Best RPGs Ever” lists in most major mags and gaming websites, I find it hard to believe that so many people have never heard of the series…

I dunno. Considering how well-known Gamespot is, I tend to consider it almost the meeting place of the lower common denominators of gaming (and I’m not making snide comments about the articles there; I just mean that it seems the sort of place the Madden-only crowd gathers, amongst others.) So, no, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. I don’t imagine Planescape Torment is particularly well-known and that gets a lot of similar attention, especially these days.

Hell, Fallout has an advantage over PS:T and similar - it actually had an action-RPG console release, which, while dreadful, would probably have at least somewhat raised its profile.

Critical acclaim and purchasing power don’t go hand-in-hand.

True, though I do my part by directing just about everyone I can to used copies of PS:T. Speaking of which, I wonder who owns it and could authorize a rerelease or digital distro via someplace like gametap? Atari has the D&D license now, but is PS:T lost in the dark depths of the financial void that was Interplay?

Damn, and I clicked this thread hoping to get the QT3 digest version of the NMA reaction.

Can’t verify at the moment, but I believe Gametap has it…

I’ll echo the “sounds like it’s made of awesome” comment and give a Praise Jesus! for the no leveling bad guys.

Me too.

This thread does not deliver.

There appears to be a thread on NMA about it, but it’s been “Moved:” to somewhere that apparently only registered members can access. Odd.

They’re having a members-only conference about how they can spin this information so that Bethsoft is still the Devil.

$5 says they attempt to take credit for getting Bethesda to make the game more like the original.

Yeah, I do this too. I actually picked up a re-release of it lately - got an American friend to send me a copy of it combined (in one extremely odd cardboard box) with… Soulbringer, I think. I don’t know who has the license but there do seem to be periodic re-releases.

Admittedly, I tend to do it with Psychonauts more than anything, because I’m of the belief that absolutely everyone in the world must play that. If friends don’t specify something for their birthdays or Christmases, they get Psychonauts.

Hawkeye: That sounds completely insane and thus reasonably likely. I’m not taking that bet.

You could all head over to RPG Codex? If anything, you should get an even bigger helping of BethSoft-Hate there.

Some year you should mix it up and give them American McGee’s Bad Day in LA. Just to see if anyone notices.

Troy