New game from Epic: Paragon

But you can’t! :D

Now I need to know what combat panties are.

Smite was the first third person MOBA. Paragon is close to Smite, actually. It controls like a third person shooter but it’s pure MOBA, with their weaknesses and strengths.

Overwatch and Paladins are first person shooters, essentially.

Wanted to try SMITE but they are using some horrible game launcher.

Tried Paragon on PS4, seemed decent enough, but was pretty slow.

I enjoy Paragon and play occasionally.

So, this isn’t on Steam?

No, just through the Epic launcher.

I haven’t played this game in quite some time. I played when it released, but not heavily. Part of it was the fact that it was so early in development I wanted to wait.

My friend wanted to play last week, so we fired it up. Not PVP, just messing around against bots. I had an okay time trying out different characters. It was a pretty decent experience, but not something that was really grabbing me and making me want to play just one more match.

That all changed when I started playing around with their “new” (to me) deck building. I had so much damn fun experimenting with different decks with various characters, which could drastically change the way they played/performed.

This part of the experience has changed a lot since when I played back at EA release, and I’m really impressed with the strategy involved in not only building your 12-card deck, but deciding which 3 cards you’re going to equip and when. Most cards you can discard and pick a new one, but there are Cursed cards that can’t ever be replaced when equipped. They often provide a sizable boost for their cost which allows for some early game power, but it will limit you if the game goes long. There’s other cards that burn up on death and have to be repurchased. There are cards, often in the Death category, that provide substantial buffs and penalties… which are especially interesting when they are Cursed.

Anyway, I had the most fun with it than I have had any other game in the genre, once that clicked for me. I’m a sucker for builds/customization, so it hooked me. The only obstacle right now for me is the PVP, I don’t know what the community is like (most of this genre is toxic as hell) and the bots, although improved from when I played last, can only offer so much resistance. Still, I’m really impressed with the strategy layer of this game, it’s a lot of fun.

RIP Paragon

Well at they’re refunding player purchases for the game.

That sucks, I tried the game a few times and every time it improved significantly. Paragon was a good game. I was waiting for it to come out of beta to start playing it more regularly. I think it was probably the best MOBA on PS4.

It really was. The game was so much better when I tried it again and couple weeks back and the whole thing finally started really clicking for me once I saw what you could do with the deck building system.

Oh well, it’s a shame. Totally get it from the business side of things, though.

I played like 3 games and gave up, interesting that I’ll be refunded fr my founder pack, how will that even work??

This is an honest shame. Paragon was a cool game and I enjoyed it.

This might be the start of some great indie projects. Maybe someone can do to Paragon what Icefrog did to Warcraft with Dota.

Paragon had some similar to the Fortnite (the original PVE version) problem. There was a ton of good ideas and components in there, but a lot of them were buried and took some time for a user to find and understand.

While MOBAs are out of favor now, I think there’s a lot of good ideas and characters that can be utilized for something really great. The deck-building system was so cool once I really started digging deep into it and understanding how it could affect different characters.

Much like this thread now, Paragon has been resurrected:

I saw this pop up on Steam the other day and given the name I wondered if it was a Paragon resurrection. Plus the map and some of the heroes looked the same from what I could recall? Weird.

Yup. There’s a couple of these fan resurrection projects since Epic released all the assets for free.

And they’re releasing within a week of each other? Man. Talk about fracturing what’s already probably going to be a very small playerbase.