New in-ear noise-cancelling headset: Bose QuietComfort 20i

Agreed. Way more comfortable than any Sennheisers I’ve tried, though to be fair my last Sony pair (MDR-BD10 I think) were pretty comfortable too.

Edit: Looking at the new Bose cans, I’m worried about the thinness where the headband meets the earphones. Looks like it could snap much more easily than the QC35s.

I tried on the new Bose 700 and didn’t like them. Felt slightly uncomfortable and the earsuck phenomenon was something else. Also tried on the Sony’s and liked them a bit more, but the QC35 was the most comfortable.

I don’t think noise canceling is for me. I was thinking I could use these with my computer all day but I ruled that out after 2 minutes of in store demo.

Will stick with an open back replacement that’s tied to my desktop. Back to researching.

I found out today that everyone who sits around me uses QC35s. That’s 4 sets of these headphones within 20 feet of me!

I’m curious about this:

How come?

I’ve never used noise-cancelling headphones. I had a huge white Turtle Beach gaming headset for a while which I used at work. The cool thing is having these white cans on my head showed everyone around me that my door was closed, so to speak, and not to bug me.

The first time I tried on my colleague’s QC35s I felt like I was listening to a black hole. It was eerily quiet. I don’t know how I’d like the stillness of NC long term, but everyone around here swears by it. Why didn’t you like it?

I found the noise canceling to be actually uncomfortable. I prefer open backed headsets but can use close backed with little discomfort, but as soon as I switched on noise canceling I felt like my ears were going to pop.

You can control the level of canceling on some headphones, which apparently helps with the issue if you are affected, but I don’t really care that much about it. It’s actually a detriment to me on everything but airplane rides.

Out of all the headphones I tried, including the top of the line Sony and new Bose, the old QC35s were the most comfortable. By a good margin.

I ended up going with the Arctis Pro Wireless which I have been pretty happy with. Not as cool and comfortable as my old Sennheisers but better sound and controls.

I get this too. It’s like I’m going up in an elevator. I haven’t used it enough to become used to it yet.

Interesting. My colleague let me borrow his Bose today and I definitely feel the pressure in my ears. With music on, it doesn’t hurt, so maybe it’s a small price to pay to not hear the 100 people in my vicinity chewing. With music off, it’s a bit distracting.

I only use my noise-cancelling headphones on the airplane. They are amazingly great at removing engine noise. Like, night and day.

If you have a pair that causes that sensation, it reportedly gets better with time. I can wear my current Sony 1000XM3 for longer than I can tolerate things on my ears. They’re great at work for helping me focus without distraction, or for walking downtown where traffic & construction noise is intermittently but frequently loud enough to cause hearing damage (of the sort that people don’t tend to notice until years of exposure but I’m already there – and I’m much more sensitive towards it as a result).