New in-ear noise-cancelling headset: Bose QuietComfort 20i

Alexa won’t work unless set it to use Alexa. You also need to install the Alexa App and be signed into your Amazon account.

Awesome. Thank you!

SOLD THROUGH

Can’t get that deal anymore… which is just as well, cuz I was feeling pretty tempted.

Looks to me like they’re still available on Drop for $279.

Tested them out at a busy Starbucks. They killed 90% of the noise. I could still hear conversations near me, but they at least sounded distant. All low-level background noise was gone. And when I played music that’s all I heard. Sound quality was very good.

It’s difficult for me to compare because my last set of noise cancellers were a $100 pair of Panasonics a decade ago. But they seem good. Looking forward to testing them on a flight.

You’re right! Just ordered a pair. Thanks!

Can confirm these are fantastic headphones. The noise cancelling is the best I have heard, it really helps the music experience too. Thanks everyone for the heads up.

Good to hear (no pun intended). For anyone still on the fence, the drop ends in 6 hours.

Sony introduced new cans. Same look at the $350 model, but not the same noise-can long chip. $250, and it gives you extra bass.

https://gizmodo.com/whoa-sony-made-cheaper-noise-canceling-headphones-1834853579

A NEW CONTENDER ENTERS THE RING

Bose introduces its next-gen cans. And they’re upping the price to $400

Adjustable noise cancellation is a great idea. I learned from the Wirecutter article that there’s such a thing as fatigue and discomfort from too-aggressive cancellation. Who knew?

A couple of weeks in and I am in still love with my wh1000xm3’s

Light, comfortable, amazing sound, easy to use and fully wired whenever you need that.

The only negative I have is the carrying case system where you have to fold the head phones over is a bit janky for my tastes. I use my Aventree case with them which works much better for me.

Great headphones.

I just toss mine into my backpack. So far so good!

W… wi… with $300+ headphones??

I get anxious just thinking about that! :)

Well, I don’t follow that up with also tossing the backpack, so it’s pretty safe. It nestles up against the pocket my work laptop is in.

Got my new Sony headphones today and I’m verrry impressed. They sound great. Love being able to tweak the EQ settings as well. Thanks everyone for the recommendation and the link to the sale!

Hello from Seoul. The Sony 1000 MX3s are fucking amazing on a flight. Engine noise is GONE. Every now and then I’d take them off and I couldnt believe how loud “normal” can be.

My old Sennheiser HD 180s just died and I was thinking of replacing them with the Sony 1000XM3 but now I see the Bose 700s are coming out in 4 days. They seem to fix the minor short comings on the Sony like better call quality, multiple device pairing, and probably but not definitely comfort.

Comfort is the big concern for me, that and multiple device pairing. My old Sennheisers might as well not be there, I can wear them all day but they are open air backs and meant for desktop use only.

The bummer is I have a flight the day before the Bose release, so I really wanted to have something beforehand.

Can’t speak to the new ones, but I find the qc35s to be comfortable for hours on end.

Buy some of these to hold you over:
https://www.amazon.com/EarPeace-Concert-Ear-Plugs-Protection/dp/B076VTXWBP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Ear%2Bpeace&qid=1561570767&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

They work really well as a sort of “volume control” for daily and travel noise. You get to select how much reduction you get by swapping between 3 sets of filters. What’s nice is that you can still enjoy music with them, because the reduction is well-balanced across the spectrum. And then when your NC set arrives, you can actually double up for pretty fabulous protection & music.