New PSP Screen Brighter, Also More Awful

The new PSPs have screens that are brighter and pixels with a lower response time. Apparently they also are all kinds of fucked up:

It’s also apparently a feature!

It’s the pirates fault!

Wow. An interlaced LCD. What on earth were they thinking?

I’m lucky to have a 2000 model instead of waiting for this, but even that model feels a little skimpier than the original model I sold off ages ago.

You’ll excuse me if I wait to see an actual unit in motion before condemning the system based on a single internet data point of a static image.

I am glad I have the original psp. It feels great, looks good, its a shame about the battery life.

Why not buy a new battery? I still have and play my PSP Phat, got a new battery at the beginning of this year and it lasts 5 hours in gameplay.

Even with a new battery, I’m lucky to get 2 hours some times.

I’d suggest getting multiple batteries and attaching them with wires and such, and using duct tape to hold it to the bottom, but then people would think you were a terrorist.

They are neat gizmos though. I finally met someone who has one, and it was pretty cool.

Do you have the larger battery for the old PSP though? It’s rare I get less than 4 hours of play time out of mine.

Update: Sounds like the new LCD screen is bright but slow, and those scan lines are an artifact of Sony’s attempt to speed screen redrawing.

On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000. Installed with this new LCD device, PSP-3000 offers more natural and vibrant colors on its screen, but the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages on PSP-3000. Since this is due to hardware specification, there are no plans for a system software update concerning this issue.

Actually, the new screen has a faster pixel response time than the old one. I guess they’re saying the scan lines would happen on the older models too, and everyone just never noticed them because the pixels were too slow. Strange.

I’ve got the new PSP-3000. Honestly, the screen is a huge goddamn improvement over the one in the 2000/1000 models. The images are a whole lot clearer and ghosting is pretty much gone completely.

So I’m thinking about getting one with a fancy new screen, but the just based on the (lack of) upcoming releases on gamefaqs the outlook for PSP doesn’t look that great. Is the PSP d0med? Should I start a thread?

I have a 3000, and while i can see the scanlines on the edges of high-contrat surfaces when turning quickly, it is such a VAST improvement over ghosting that I don’t mind. The playability of high-contrast 2D games like Gradius Generations just got bumped up drastically.

That’s two pros against the one con. PSP-Brite wins! I’m hopin’ to get one for my birthday this week.

There’s no extended battery for the 3000 yet, right?

It looks like it takes the same batteries and uses the same battery cover as the 2000.

PSP 3000 considered unhackable. Wonder what that will do to the sales of the new unit?