New Rush Tour Announced

The last time I caught them, in Montreal, I think I paid about $90 after taxes, fees, and delivery charges.

I’m definitely catching this tour – you can’t imagine how thrilled I was to receive that email today – but the question for me is, do I bus it to Boston, drive to Saratoga, or maybe take the train up to Quebec City and make a weekend of it (I’ve always wanted to visit)? No Montreal date this time means I’m traveling at least 3-4 hours.

Wasn’t ‘moving pictures’ the last half decent album they made? And even that is half filler. I saw them in 1978. Enough for me. Pot smoke and hearing damage to last a lifetime. These guys are now the Stones of prog. Coasting…

Go back to your bridge, troll. :P

Yeah, hopefully there’ll be a second leg… Nearest dates are in DC and Atlanta, ugh. Though I did drive to Maryland to see Iron Maiden for Somewhere Back in Time two years ago I’m not as keen to do it again – mainly because I’ve seen them four times already and, unlike IM, they usually do come near here.

Saw them for Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts, and Test for Echo. Awesome concerts! I think it was Presto that Primus opened for them (shortly after Sailing the Seas of Cheese was released) – amazing. And the first time I felt my daughter kick was during Test for Echo’s title track.

Wow, was just looking over their discography and hadn’t realized how steep the drop-off between the 80’s and 90’s was – I’ve always imagined the 90’s a bit more prolific than it was (probably because I mentally assign Presto to the 90’s as it was such a break from the music of the 80’s through Hold Your Fire). Six studio albums in the 70’s, seven in the 80’s, three in the 90’s, and two in the 00’s.

Hope there’s a second leg for us Europeans. I’ve only had the opportunity to see them twice and need to rectify this.

Eeeek! They’re coming to Columbus! You know, I was never much of a Rush fan before Rock Band. Lee’s voice always got on my nerves. I appreciated them, musically (as a musician myself), but I didn’t find them very listenable. At that point I had never heard YYZ. I liked Tom Sawyer though. Anyway, my wife and I now listen to a lot of Rush. I get it, now…fully. I’m past Lee’s shrill sound. The music itself is just too good to be bothered by that.

In any case, we need to find a way to go to this! Thanks!

Rush is one of my favorite bands, but I’ve never been a fan of their stuff prior to Permanent Waves - in fact, the very first Rush song I ever heard was The Spirit of Radio. Geddy’s voice is a big part of why I just have a lot of trouble with the early stuff. By PeW he’d toned it down a tad.

That’s one of the great things about Rush – the diversity of their catalog. For me the music from Fly By Night to Permanent Waves is my favorite. I like tons of the stuff after, of course, but at heart I think I’m a 70s progressive rock fan.

Yeah, you know when a Canadian band makes it big when it hardly has time for dates in Canada. Only 4 and two of them in Toronto. For shame!

SF, LA and Irvine.

I guess I gotta drive up to Irvine.

Sweet they’re playing Boston!

(Normally I would assume that would be a given, but it turns out Iron Maiden is touring this summer and NYC is the closest concert…WTF?)

This tour seems weird to me. I wonder if this is a play to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That would be sort of out of character for them, but it’s a possibility.

Their omission from the HoF so far is nothing short of criminal.

They’re above the HoF. You know it. I know it. Aliens from beyond our sun who intercept our communication frequencies thousands of years from now will know it.

I don’t know. Somehow it just seems right that they be excluded. Not because they aren’t one of the truly great rock and roll bands, but because the HOF itself seems to me to be an institution dedicated to celebrating that which they have never been part of, an essentially self-congratulating, masturbatory work. Because the Rock ‘n’ Roll HOF is not about celebrating great bands, but about celebrating members of a certain club.

Consider this: Folks like Budgie, Lemmy, Motorhead and Judas Priest are not in the HOF, but Metallica is.

Heh, I pretty much only like the stuff before Permanent Waves. I felt like Rush lost their edge and stopped rocking like they did in the earlier albums. All my favorite songs are from the early albums: Working Man, Fly by Night, Anthem, Bytor and the Snow Dog, 2112, and many others.

No edge lost on Vapor Trails.

Abba just got in this year…yes let me say that again…ABBA…thats all ppl need to know about the Rock & Roll “Hall of Fame”.

That mofo needs to be completely remastered and reissued, though. It sounded like shit on a cracker when it was released.

Hell, even Genesis finally got in, but probably more for Abacab than Foxtrot.