New stationary Gaming PC

I just ordered a new PC too. The main driver for me is that working from home has been extended until the end of the year and one older (10 years old) PC we had at home just died. So we are left with mine and my daughter’s. If either of them dies (and school continues part time from home next school year), there are going to be issues…

Unfortunately, I am more budget constrained than several people in this thread, so mine is more of a compromise. But coming from my Intel I5-2500K (the most modern PC in the house) with 12GB of RAM and an old school 256GB SDE, I’m hopeful this will be a nice step up I can upgrade over time!

Given the recent talk about how well AMD is doing in the CPU space at competitive prices, my main focus was switching to AM4 and ensuring I have a 570 motherboard for PCIE4.0 support and future proofing.

Components
Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0
Graphics Card PowerColor Red Dragon RadeonTM RX 5600 XT 6GB, AXRX 5600XT 6GBD6-3DHR/OC Memory speed 14Gbps
SSD 500GB WD SN750 High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, Black
1st Storage Drive 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Standard AMD CPU cooler
Thermal Paste Standard themral paste
Extra Case Fans 2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

As someone who only uses a 1920x1200 and 1920 x 1080 monitor, I’m not looking to have a 4K capable GPU and I don’t care about ray tracing. So this combination seems to be the best bang for my budget I can get at the moment. And the ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F should be the future proofing I need for potential upgrades down the line.

The main things I’m looking forward to, beyond the work machine redundancy, is to get to play some MS Flight Simulator. Based on the Digital Foundry video, I’m hoping medium to high settings should run well on this machine.

And also, I’ll finally get to play Horizon: Zero Dawn (beyond a short play on my son’s PS4 Pro when he was visiting)… with an XBox Controller. The only true gamepad. Win! :)

Oh, and I hear there is some kind of CD Projekt Red game coming… Though I might actually play that one on the XBox Series X some day. The time spent in their worlds is worth enjoying on the comfort of my couch.

It’s partially a pre-assembled barebones machine I ordered and partly individual components I got elsewhere when cheaper that way. Now the wait begins…

Anything obvious I overlooked?