New York New York

Any New Yorkers about?

Need a bit of advice.

I’ll be schooling over near Union Sqaure Park. (NYFA for a year) and am looking for a place somewhere nearby. Trouble is, I have no frame of reference for how close anything is in New York when i look up apartments and rentals at Craiglists, or various other housing sites.

Can anyone help?

P.S. google maps, while great, reads completely greek to a non New Yorker.

http://www.housingmaps.com/

Ping me when you have some idea of funds, etc., and I’d be happy to help you if I can.

Search for “village” in craigslist, basically.

The nice thing about Union Square is the 380 different subway lines that all run through there. You could live out in Brooklyn on the L line, not get killed by rent as much, and still have less than a 20 minute commute to school.

No longer a New Yorker, but I grew up there, and visit every couple of months.

Pretty much anywhere in Manhattan or in Brooklyn near a subway is close enough for most purposes. Brooklyn is the happening spot for gentrification as well as student housing on the fringes of the newly high-tone areas. A few spots in Queens or the Bronx might be OK too, but the subway connections from Queens will generally be inferior, and I understand the #7 line into Grand Central is having all kinds of problems these days. The traditionally cheapest area reasonably close by is alphabet-city/lowereastside. Not sure of the current status of that area as regards gentrification and general horribleness, but it may be a bit too cheap and awful, depending on your tastes and budget.

One bit of advice, if you’re not currently an inner-city dweller, when you go into a room or apartment in NYC that you might want to rent, take a minute to stand quietly and listen to the street noise. That noise, or louder, you will hear in the middle of the night, so if it seems intolerable, you might want to look for a place with better soundproofing.