Nex Machina - Housemarque's latest arcade shooter (PC & PS4)

What’s more, beyond Arcade mode you’ll find an Arena mode, where you can play through the game’s worlds with different enemies and conditions, earning credits to unlock new challenges and making your way up the leaderboards… You can even spend the credits earned on customisations for your profile and your avatar…

There you go, Tom! Unlock hats for your leaderboards avatar or something.

40% off this weekend on Steam! Who’s with me?

Me…

You have my axe!

had no idea this was by housemarque and thought it was a port of neurashima hex.

This is good so far. I was tensed up just on rookie difficulty.

Holy fucking shit, fuck that true last boss. It took me 40 credits. If I died trying to get the only weapon on the stage, I had to kill myself and continue because it was too hard to beat the boss with the level 1 shot.

What a bummer. I was never particularly good at their games but really enjoyed Super Stardust, Resogun, and Nex Machina.

That totally sucks.

It’s selfish, but before they moved on from arcade-style games, I wish they had revisited The Reap. It’s still one of my favorite shooters and an excellent homage to Viewpoint, one of my all-time favorite games.

Wow, this game is gorgeous. And so fluid and fast.

It’s amazing. Love at first sight for me.

I’ve got a long way to go. I’m still trying to figure out what hidden exits are, what some of the extra points come from that are listed at the end, etc.

Btw, nice score there @BrianRubin. :P

Nice. Looks like I’m around 76 million on rookie. I’ll be going back to this soon, but I don’t remember what I wanted to wrap up.

That was my one playthrough on Rookie. I moved up to Experienced right after. Haven’t had time to get back to it since. I need a vacation after my holiday vacation!

I do worry if my PC can handle this game for long sessions. I know that it’s graphically the most spectacular game I’ve played on my PC, and yet it’s so smooth with no hitches or frame rate drops. (Contrast that with Grim Dawn, which gets really busy on the screen and I start dropping a LOT of frames). And yet, I can hear fans inside my PC struggling to keep up. Maybe this is using the shit out of my graphics card. I hope all my fans are working right, because they need to be for this game.

Last night I beat my own score by a LOT. But I still got nowhere near DaveLong’s high score yet.

The layers of the onion are starting to peel away. I discovered more secret levels (via secret exits!), more secret humans to rescue, and I used more of the weapons/powerups that I pick up. Previous layers of the onion before last night included learning the ability to dash past trouble and through lasers, for instance.

An update on my PC: Oh man, I can hear the fan struggling. This is going to be the game that kills my PC, I just know it. But I can’t stop playing.

Your fans are probably running because the framerate is uncapped or something.

Cool! The secrets are very important to raising your score, and they also can be gamed differently to increase it more. Don’t lose your scoring combos!

It looks like I uploaded the video with mine. Have a look. I don’t recall it being that great a run, but it was a ton of fun.

Wow… that screenshot of all you guys playing (including me) means I need to play more!

Yeah, me too! I only played this 2 or 3 times…I should at least try to get over 10 million. Maybe this weekend…