NFL 2023

Payton just decided none of the openings were worth taking and he will wait for the Cowboys job next year.

I wonder if Quinn isn’t thinking the same thing.

Where are you seeing that? I don’t see news about him saying anything on the normal legit sports sites tonight. I mean that outcome has always been something he’s been open about so it could end up being the case but not official that I see. Plus, there have been some rumblings that another team is thinking about making a change and going after him at a very late hour, so its not over until all the jobs are filled or he says so.

I first heard that on ESPN a couple days ago. But it fits in with the talk when he retired from the Saints. He is friends with Jimmy and is used to winning.

But why take a job that involves building the core of the team. He is a big name coach who would look for a team ready to win.

NFL is looking at making the kinds of tackles that hurt Mahomes and Pollard illegal. I’ve always thought this kind of tackle was avoidable and completely done with the bonus of possible injury to the runner. Like using a QB to take all your weight when you fall on them that was finally made illegal a few years back, I think this is overdue and the last more obvious legal tackle that is just an attempt to injure the other player. And I’m one who thinks defenses already have to worry about too many things being a flag that are mostly just part of the game. Apparently, rugby installed a similar rule about this sort of tackle a while back so maybe that will help end this sort of thing.

I hadn’t realized that the tackles in both injuries were similar.

Looking at it, these are similar to horse collar tackles in that the key component is the tackler getting their own body completely off the ground so that their entire weight (and gravity) aid in pulling down the defender. The difference is really where the player is grabbed.

I could easily see them extending the horse collar rule to cover this.

I’m not saying that I am against such a rule, but it surely would result in a lot more cases of a running back carrying a db 10 yards down the field.

I’d imagine the NFL would consider that an additional plus.

I’m sure he wants to win right away and there probably is something to the talk that a team like the Chargers would be a great fit. So, I can see him sitting the year out for sure but in the end it depends on what he thinks about Russ in Denver or Kyler in Arizona or if he thinks the Houston situation where he’d get to choose a QB to build around would be fun. He hasn’t made an announcement like Quinn did so he’s still in the running, apparently, for at least some of those jobs, and just spent 7 hours with the Cardinals yesterday. So, I don’t think we can rule him out for this year quite yet.

Read an interesting article today about some of the current coaching openings. Supposedly the Colts front office is battling Irsay, who still wants to give Saturday the job. Meanwhile, the Broncos are lost after DeMeco Ryan decided he’d rather coach the Texans. I guess he was their choice, and now the local reporters say they may open up their interview process again as candidates become available after this weekend eliminates a couple more teams. That does suggest they are passing on Payton, though.

As a long time Chiefs fan, I feel pretty bad about the game with the Bengals today. No matter how much he powers through it, a high ankle sprain is going to limit Mahomes and some of his most effective play is outside the pocket, improvising, especially in the red zone. He’s just not going to be nearly as effective at that. Pair that up with Kelce being listed as questionable due to back spasms for a couple of days (he’ll play, you couldn’t keep him out of this game) and he’s going to be less than 100%, and I kind of dread this game. The Bengals are being pretty “loud” out there. All three games we lost to the Bengals were 3 points, and in all of them we were ahead in the 4th quarter. Last one, we were up by 4 and driving to a TD and Kelce fumbled. And the talk that if they win again Burrow supercedes Mahome as best QB in the NFL - look at all of the records Mahomes already has.

I’m old enough to remember when the Bengals were about to lose to the Ravens and a second team QB in the 4th quarter and had a QB try to stick his arms across the goal line from 2.5 yards away, get it batted right into a defender’s arms who ran it the length of the field. That said, I expected the Chiefs to be 10-7 this year with a ton of rookies on defense and a new offense, and I don’t like the matchup of Chase (who never gets an offensive PI on pushoffs) Higgins and Boyd against a bunch of rookies.

And now seeing reports that Kelce hasn’t been able to run for the last 3 days and is still in pain today and is a game day decision. You won’t be able to keep Kelce off the field, but with an injured Mahomes and an injured Kelce - they are the heart of this team. Could get ugly. Sigh

Great opening drive by the Eagles. Amazing one handed catch on 4th down.

Edit: LOL it turns out that 4th down catch shouldn’t have been allowed. A hidden camera angle.

One challenge not made plus the one made might have lead to a 14-0 start, but the Niners got a stop.

Now it looks like they might be down to 4th-string QB

Josh Johnson in for purdy. What a mess. Eagles rushing the passer like the 49er oline isn’t there

And now Bosa looks to be injured. Guess my day just opened up… 🙁

Really? I missed that. How did you determine it was a bad catch, I wonder?

They showed a different camera angle that shows he used the ground to help control the ball. That wasn’t visible on the other camera angle.

Eagles maybe screwed by the inability of the cameras to prove the punt hit the overhead wire.

Well, as screwed as you can be when the other team is playing Josh Johnson at QB.

And the receiver got up after the catch signalling to the offense to do a hurry-up snap. If that wasn’t an indication to Kyle to challenge I’m not sure what is.

In his defence though, I think the initial thought was that the catch was questionable in terms of whether he caught it inbounds or not (it was). That he didn’t have possession wasn’t quite so obvious.