NFL Week 15

Not only that, but two dropped INTs and a couple other bad throws that they just couldn’t get to, and the blocked punt. Seattle made mistakes all through the game (as far as I saw, missed the fourth quarter) but it took awhile before it cost them. That INT on the goal line was just a terrible read by Hasselbeck.

On the other side, how the heck did that D-lineman not catch the ball when Peterson popped it straight up in the air? He just stood there and reached for it, and then leaned toward it, and eventually fell over. All he had to do was take one step and it would’ve landed in his arms. Craziness.

All in all, a good win for my Niners. Still probably destined for a losing season, but it’s always good to beat a division rival on the road. Especially what passes for a division leader in the pitiful NFC West. Notice has been served, next year we will be the ones scraping into the playoffs at 9-6 or 8-8.

Nothing like a resounding declaration like that.

Also, can’t stand the Thursday night guys. Gumble is pretty good, though a bit over the top, on his HBO show, but damn me if he’s a good play by play guy. Were they just running out of people? And chris…ugh. Whiny.

As for MNF, I like it. I’m not a huge Theisman fan, but I think Kornheiser actually keeps him in line.

Kornheiser does a good job of calling Theisman on the retarded bullshit he spews, but doesn’t add a lot to the broadcast otherwise. I really hate MNF though, because they just go off and talk about stuff totally unrelated to the game, while plays are happening. The worst is the celebrity guests. If I wanted to watch a talk show, I would.

Right now my favourite colour guys are Moose Johnston and Troy Aikman. It’s kind of funny because I hated them when they were playing.

Yeah, Moose and Aikman do a really good broadcast.

I think Tony adds a bit more than nothing, but overall, I’d agree, he’s not great. That being said, if I decides to stick around (it’s a lot of work) for next season, I’d like to see him do it (meaning, I think he’ll get better and less overwhelmed). Theisman…well, if they could drop him off a bridge, that’d be great. The play by play guy I could take or leave. At least it isn’t the full old Sunday night crew…dear god they were so bad.

Moose & Aikman are great in their respective broadcasts, though Joe Buck is wearing on me.

Saragusa really used to wear on me, and I completely hated him as a Raven. For some reason I’ve really cooled down on him in the last 2 years or so, and actually don’t think of him negatively this year.

— Alan

Forgot to mention earlier: Shaun Alexander su-hucks. He should give his game check to Burleson for recovering that fumble on the goal line. And he should watch the game film on Gore to learn how to run the ball. Last year I bet he led the league in YBC: Yards Before Contact.

I can’t believe the Niners suddenly played with some balls. Converting a 4th down? Punt fake? What? I am hoping Nolan finally told Turner “Man, this fraidy-cat shit we’ve been doing is weak. What have we got to lose?” Nolan needs to exert his more aggressive style on the offense.

I know there’s little chance, but it’s crazy that the Niners could still make the playoffs. If Seattle loses to San Diego - which they probably will - and Tampa Bay - which they probably won’t - and the Niners beat both Arizona in SF and Denver in Denver (neither of which are guaranteed, but definitely possible), they both finish 8-8 and 3-3 in the division, but the Niners swept the Seahawks, so they are in. I expect Tampa Bay to fold and ruin this outcome, though.

Another vote for Aikman. Smart, insightful, easy to listen to. I like how he bags on FOX, too. He once said of 24 “It’s a really good show, even though it’s on FOX!”

I can’t stand Bryant Gumbel. Maybe he will improve with seasoning, but he makes Collingsworth (who admittedly has improved some) look like a booth ninja. I say get Mike Patrick from the old Sunday Night crew in there.

I also wonder what kinds of talks Kornheiser has had with the NFL. It has been brought out that after one or two MNFs, Dennis Miller was approached by the NFL and given a list of things he could no longer say or talk about. And kept getting them, to the point where the primary reason he was brought on board, to be spontaneous and funny, was essentially taken away. The other reason he was there was for his preternatural football knowledge base, which even impressed Al Michaels, but that was rarely displayed as Dennis deferred to Al and Dan (Foutz was put in the booth because either ABC or the NFL demands an ex-player be in the booth. This was against Michaels’ wishes, as he prefers a 2-man booth). Not that Miller was spectacular or anything, but I do wonder what kind of deal was made with Tony.

I doubt you’ll really have to worry, it’s widely rumored that this is Tony’s only year and he’s already begged out of MNF because it’s too much work.

— Alan

Thank god.

I have no idea who Tony Kornheiser is, had never heard of him before MNF, but man he’s annoying on MNF.

It’s a real shame that the Rams couldn’t finish it out against the Seahawks, because then it would be possible for the winner of the NFC to have a 7-9 record, and that would be very fitting.

He used to have a 3-hour radio program in the mornings, usually nestled inbetween Mike and Mike and Dan Patrick on ESPN Radio, for a long time; he’s been a sports columnist for the Washington Post forever, and started a show called Pardon the Interruption (PTI) on ESPN2 with his longtime pal/writer Michael Wilbon which quickly grew in popularity and got a lot of imitators.

One criticism is that Tony treats his relationship with Theismann the same way he does with Wilbon, which is extremely argumentative and antagonistic (and the two are practically polar opposites in nearly every way). Theismann on the other hand is used to people basically deferring to him and having his own way, and Tony is not giving a freaking inch.

— Alan

That’s the best thing about Kornheiser, because Theisman is a fuckin’ idiot. It’s nice to have somebody point it out when Theisman directly contradicts himself within minutes, or just says something blindingly retarded like the practically de rigueur “Only _________ could make that throw/catch/run/whatever.”

Yeah, I heard the same thing about Tony, sadly enough. I like him a lot and he’s a definite good counter to Theisman. I don’t know Theisman keeps his job. You should hear him on the Dan Patrick show… he says many silly things.

I dunno about that. Paul MacGuire wasn’t shy about arguing with Joe.

There’s a big difference between the way Maguire argued with Joe and the way Tony argues period.

— Alan

This Atlanta-Dallas game is awesome. Anybody not watching needs to turn it on now! Great first half.

How 'bout that interception by Ware? Put him at TE on the goal line, because the man can catch.

Ware is da man. I’m a little worried that Owens will get a suspension for the crucial remainder of the regular season, but I think Dallas can afford to lose him for a game as both Crayton and Sam Hurd can account for him in the passing game if taken advantage of.

Dallas defense still worries a bit, but they turned it on a bit more in the second half, especially in the crucial series where the Falcons turned it over on downs.

— Alan

GAH that Saints-'Skins game was ugly.

Having been a fan of Tony Kornheiser for years (well before PTI I’d listen to his radio show on ESPN Radio every day), he’s good friends with Theismann (who was a weekly guest on the radio show), so I’m sure that Joe both knows that Tony is just being Tony AND that it’s the reason he was chosen as the 3rd man.

The reason that PTI has been the success it has been is because it’s just Tony and Wilbon being themselves. Two friends discussing/arguing about sports. The show suffers severly when one or the other (or god forbid, both) are off for whatever reason. Any replacement just doesn’t have the same relationship, and it feels forced.

I LOVE that there’s someone in the booth to call ex-players on their mindless crap. I wish THAT was the rule. Watching poor Mike Patrick have to deal with Maguire and Theismann prior to this year was painful.

Bryant Gumbel sucks. Just awful. He actually called the play clock the shot clock Saturday night. He sounds like he’s calling the game looking at the field, and not realizing that he has a monitor as well. Far too often he’d make a call that was either obviously wrong to the viewer, or hedge (“it looks like a completion!”).

Collinsworth is a love-or-hate guy. He gets good marks critically, meaning he knows his stuff and handles his role well. But he can rub people wrong and come off like a smug ass.

Saturday’s game was just a debacle. Vermeil trying to do color at like 30% was a mistake. Rushing Faulk up to the booth to help out felt bush league, but he was tolerable. Adding Deion Sanders at halftime, ew. One ex-player in the booth is bad enough, two is a nightmare. With a terrible play-by-play guy, it was almost unwatchable.