Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (It's been a long time coming!)

Well, here I am sitting listening to the new Nine Inch Nails album, having flashbacks to 1991-'92 and going to the The Downward Spiral tour with David Bowie headlining and Prick opening… so far it’s OK, but not sure if it’s better than Fragile. The single is very pop-rock sounding, it’s called “the hand that feeds” and you view the music video on http://www.nin.com. I’m only on track 4, so I’ll finish up listening through the 13 total tracks and then comment more. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I’m surprised nobody else has posted regarding this…

I have not heard the album yet, but I was pretty disappointed with the single. The two Photek remixes are head and tails better than the original. Is the rest of the album as poppy as that track? If so, I would say Trent has seriously regressed since Downward Spiral. I feel like I am listening to Pretty Hate Machine.

I’ve never been a huge NiN fan, but I’ve still got a lot of respect for Reznor.

Just a couple of days ago he uploaded the “Hand that Feeds” in Garageband format, and welcomed everyone to remix it and play around. In this day of mass RIAA lawsuits it’s a bit refreshing to see an artist willingly put his music on the 'net, and encourage a little fan involvement.

Anyone having Garageband and that’s interested in this can find the 70mb download in the “current” section of the NIN homepage.

I have to agree, so far. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think Reznor has managed to live up to the potential he showed on Downward Spiral.

I have to agree, so far. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think Reznor has managed to live up to the potential he showed on Downward Spiral.[/quote]

I think he hit the mark with The Fragile. That was his peak (so far).

Definitely liking this one alot better then the Fragile. However, only a couple of songs on it are equal to the spiral greatness. Still a fantastic offering.

I have to agree, so far. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think Reznor has managed to live up to the potential he showed on Downward Spiral.[/quote]

I think he hit the mark with The Fragile. That was his peak (so far).[/quote]

I’ll admit that that album hit at a time that I wasn’t listening to much new music.

Personally, I think the Broken EP is his strongest work. I love the angry-Erasure of Pretty Hate Machine, and I also like the more complex work on The Downward Spiral and (to a lesser extent) The Fragile, but Broken remains (IMHO) Reznor’s most focused release, combining raging industrial angst, some crazy instrumentation and the odd pop hook in a really satisfying manner.

Also, I really wish The Fragile hadn’t been a double album. Several of the tracks smack of “more interesting to make than to listen to” syndrome. As is, I ripped the thing way back when and re-sequenced it into one pretty awesome NIN album.

Ugh, he’s still writing lyrics for 15 year olds. I like the music on a few tracks, but for the most part it’s retro city (and I don’t mean that in a good way).

Yup. He’s still looking for more words that rhyme with pain…

I’m always curious about this kind of stuff - if you remember, what order did you put the tracks in? I’ve just been re-ripping some of the tracks from my old NIN cd’s, inspired by the new digital remastering of the downward spiral.

This is from memory, since the burned CD went AWOl somewhere between college and Los Angeles, but something along these lines…

Into The Void
Underneath It All
We’re In This Together
The Fragile
No, You Don’t
Please
StarFuckers Inc
Underneath It All
The Day The World Went Away
The Great Below

(and I think I grabbed a bit of La Mer and merged it into the start of Great Below, since it dovetailed so well)

I was going for a sort of rise-fall motif, as I remember, but god knows if I acheived it;)

The Ghost that Feeds:

http://www.nathanchase.com/2005/04/ghost-that-feedsray-parker-jrs.html

Toxic Trent:

http://www.nathanchase.com/2005/04/toxic-trentbritney-spearss-toxic-vs.html

Must say, new album is definitely growing on me. Probably my second favorite behind Spiral. I’d say most all of the songs on it rock out.

Full album official stream:

Did you get the dual disc? If so, how is it and is it worth the extra money?