Ninety-Nine Nights demo out on live

Thanks for the previews. Once more, my 360 collects dust. :-(

All the different combination attacks are very cool and a step up from the Omega Force games(DW et al.); stabbing a goblin and slamming it back and forth on the ground or hammering a group of incoming troops with the skewered enemy is just rad. Letting loose a nuclear beam of light on a small army and witnessing bodies tossed every which way is worth the demo download alone.

Then you have garbage like the troll boss that seems to have no reaction to your spear swipes, or a lack of floating lifebars to easilly pick out a foe from a friend in the glob of polygons on screen during a hectic battle. Also, no way to take out archer towers? Just yuck.

Item drops are too infrequent, or rather there is a serious imbalance in damage received versus recovery chances. Silly goblins can break your combo animations to poke your foot or something constantly, too blinded by the mess onscreen to ever anticipate that stuff.

Map and objective descriptors need an overhaul too.

At least the graphics are prett(ier) than similar competition.

I destroyed several towers…not sure what you mean.

Yeah, at first I thought you couldn’t take the towers out either. Turns out you just need to hit them a few times. The sound effects for hitting them are really weak, not the kind of thing that makes you think “Hey, I’m doing damage”, that’s why I thought they were indestructible at first.

I’ve never played the other games you guys are comparing this too, but the demo didn’t seem particularly hard. The troll didn’t really react to my attacks, but he died pretty easily. I really didn’t have much trouble. It was very pretty. I can imagine someone really getting into it, but I think it’d take a $20 price point before I’d break down.

nods you’re spot on there. If nothing else is around, you can hear it, otherwise forget it, and there’s no visual I noticed to indicate you struck it.

Yep. Very very very small wood on wood banging noise to indicate the taking down of towers. Those anti-cavalry things can be broken.

And of course, I’m going to venture a thought that you didn’t think of destroying the barricades holding the rocks back? If you do it on the second set at the right time, I killed 3 brigades of units in a two swings of my spear.

Also, in the pause menu, go to Status. There is a way to add items to your character, and even change the weapons (There is two that I’ve found, besides the default. One is at the very far right path, making you fight like, 3 Goblin Brigades, a Goblin Knight Brigade, and 2 brigades of slaughterable Orcs. Its a really awesome Knights Spear. There is also a Earth Pike somewhere on the level, but I think its where you can release the two rocks slides.) All of which can be changed at any time.

And what isn’t cool about standing on a hill, with your enemies below you, roughly 500+ men, and doing the Blue Orb attack? Honestly, I broke 5000 units killed. 628 or so in one attack.

Once again: Buy it, its only $50 starting price.

Do you simply trigger that attack (by pressing B) while facing in the direction you want to use it, or is there something else you are supposed to do?

First you fill the red orb gage then press B to use orb attack which get’s you blue orbs. Fill the blue gage.
then Press B with a Full blue gage to use the move of Nuke what your looking at.

You can get Knight Lance down the North valley ( past the towers )
the Rage Charm down the East valley from the towers
There is a “shield thing” [ can’t remember the right name right now ) that increases HP near the towers ( NW of the center of the circle they make )
the Earth Pike is just up the Westward Hill from the Towers.
There is a Knight Helm near the tower up by the releasable rocks.
after reuniting there is a Heal potion in the chest to the west just before the troll.
At the very north straight up the middle is an orb gage potions ( still not sure what those do )

Enemies also seem to drop random items My personal favorites include Clover2 (+40% item drop rate ) Wargloves2 (+20% attack range) and Life orb3 (+200 hits ) when you level and can equip another item I use the shield that increase hits by %.

I love the pretty especially racking up a 2000+ combo and going up 1000 kills in the process. I’ve only managed to get a combined 4101 enemies killed with a 2234 max combo according to the mission clear screen.

The random items seem to add a nice luck chance to it. If you like being the one man army this is it. It’s Pretty and they seem to be able to cram Alot of fodder for you to mow down onto one screen fairly well. I’ve only actually incurred slow down when cleaning out the towers after all the enemies were dead. 2 gripes 1) in a trailer or 2 they say the bodies pile up this is not the case for the demo ( maybe american censoring ) and 2) English dubbing sounds Off, to be kind. If there are options to change these, Particularly an option for Jap spoken and Eng sub I’d definatly use that as well as an option to make corpses stay.

Why is Ninety-Nine Nighty for the 360 rated M? All the previews listed as Teen. several reviews listed as teen, it looks like a Teen game from the Xplay review… What is the hidden racy material that gets it an M rating. The descriptors says “Violence” but it looks no more violent than Dynasty Warriors 5 and its rated Teen.

The descriptors says “Violence” but it looks no more violent than Dynasty Warriors 5 and its rated Teen.

The difference, dear sir, is that Ninety-Nine Nights is HIGH DEFINITION violence.

I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it; I’ve played Dynasty Warriors and not enjoyed it very much due to its repetitiveness.

N3 isn’t nearly as repetitive; the number of combo moves (and the novelty between them both intra- and inter-character) makes the game interesting. Mindlessly interesting, to be sure, but still quite interesting. Aspharr alone has many different useful combinations:

1. Charge-stab-twirl (right trigger, y, y y y y y y), where he will skewer an enemy and then swing his pole around really fast. Because you can do this at the end of his charge rush, it’s a really cool move for opening up fights against groups, because this move does massive damage. It has a decent cooldown, though, so it’s possible for things to get a hit in afterwards.

2. Swing-swing-swing-twirl (x, x, x, yyyyyyy), where he’ll do three 180-degree-or-so swings, then move around and twirl his staff. Not as damaging per hitas 1.), but in later levels he moves around a good bit and will twirl 5-6 times allowing for potentially many more hits. Much more useful when enemies are spread out.

3. Super-stab (y, x x x x x), it’s a generic slash move followed by very powerful directional stabs (and lots of them). Great move for hitting single targets or things all lined up.

4. Death Star Laser (it does about as much damage as the Death Star - y, y, y, then I think 3 X’s, then y again), this is a massively awesome combo that’s pretty difficult to get off… but when you do everything in a 45-degree arc for about 50 meters short of a Troll dies. Combo starts off with the generic y-repeat combo, but after three of those, if you start hitting X’s, you’ll get some big swings. The last X is a pretty damaging jump-staff-slam-on-the-ground in its own right, but if you time the Y after that, you’ll take 2-3 seconds to charge up (usually getting hit by a goblin in the process) and then BAM! goes a laser than I’ve measured to be more powerful than the Orb-attack laser. 3 of those lasers will take out that huge fat down in the middle of the last level.

… and that’s just Aspharr, and all of those moves are doable by level 7, I think. I don’t even have him at level 9 yet, he’s still 8, although I’ve beaten all of his levels.

The sheer number of combos (and how awesome they look) make it quite an interesting game… I enjoy it a lot, especially on my projector ;-) It’s definitely a game that needs the HD experience. It has that “fuck yeah” factor that’s amplified by it immensely.

In Ninety-Nine Nights, your character’s name is Ass Far. At least that’s how it’s pronounced. For me, the game went downhill from there. :)

-Tom

WOW

I don’t know. I like, honestly I do… its just, its hellaciously short, and Tyurru sucks, and not the good way… JAILBAIT!

Highly stylized fighting game with fab FX? Or overpriced highly stylized lawn mowing simulator?