Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection

Actually, if you look at the old Ninja Gaiden games, the early action movie stuff (where you are murdering by the dozens your training partners, tough to be a ninja!) is what is strange.

Now that I think about it the original had some weird shit going on, too, yeah.

The camera in this game is an absolute, hilarious disaster.

I remember pressing the trigger that re-centers the camera behind the character. A LOT.

Yeah it becomes a second nature. It probably wanted to be cinematic, or it was an artefact of older hardware it was probably developed on? It’s funny because it is so much part of the game, I was shocked by the camerz rotation possibilities of the Sigma version.

This is completely insane, prints out to 165 pages and has a (rough, there are some parts that defy traditional counting, I think) word count of over 64,000.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox/928401-ninja-gaiden-black/faqs/39056

Character action games have always struggled with the camera. Ninja Gaiden’s approach is certainly unusual and unintuitive, but as mentioned, it’s fine once you get used to it. I think the benefit is the control it gives you.

This generation is a weird combination of “I’ll never be able to play this game again because it’s been pulled from all digital stores” and “I’ll be able to play this game forever because it’s being constantly updated for new systems.”

It is great that these games are made available to everyone on current systems but as for me, I’m not seeing a real reason to give up my old BC Xbox games in favor of the updates. As best I can tell, they haven’t really added anything new to the games, they don’t look much better?

You could argue they look worse (it’s bloom and blur everywhere, and colours were there weren’t any, although that might be more of a matter of the trend at the time of release), but a friend of mine who is a die hard fan of the games says that Sigma controls a bit worse, feature extra content nobody asked for, and some of the stuff was redone for the worse. He also says going into details is boring.
I just trust his word, given how much he loves the game, and stick to the older ones (which are cheap as hell to buy, too).

They removed Ayane’s voiceovers on tips in the newer port-of-the-port-of-the-port that just released on all platforms, and changed her model to be a butt on legs with weird stares.That and the excess of bloom and blur was enough to convince me to hunt for a controller for my old xbox instead of impulse-buying.

Has anyone tried this on Switch? I suspect that’s what I”m most likely to buy it on.

The internet has, and there are problems with performance. I would read some reviews first. It might be okay.

Well, after playing this partway through chapter 4, it is extremely clear where Nioh’s combat system comes from, which is of course not a revelation to anybody but me. I have observed elsewhere that from my perspective Nioh has some of the trappings of a souls game but I don’t consider them substantive. This, on the other hand, is the clear antecedent, although (so far, anyway, I’d better not count my chickens) it seems to contain many fewer “gotcha” moments than Nioh’s combat, which to me often feels frustratingly filled with difficult to anticipate broken rhythms and attacks with little to no windup. Even the “mission based” nature of Nioh’s levels has much more in common with Ninja Gaiden than any From game. Blocking is much easier here. Both games have definitely had that signature Fromsoft moment of reaching a boss and going, “haha, no way, wtf” after getting decisively annihilated, but of course they eventually fall. Although I guess since this game is from 2004, maybe that’s really a Team Ninja signature that From borrowed.

The gun enemies are lame. Seems like all you can do is block while they shoot at you? Boring, why even have that. Good thing there’s no stamina in this game.

I got the nunchaku, and I really want to use them, but because I upgraded my sword in the previous mission (and I don’t have the ability to upgrade the chucks yet), they seem to take about twice as long to dispatch enemies, so for now they stay in the box.

Gun enemies: just roll jump at an oblique angle until you get close enough to flying swallow their heads off. Hold block the entire time in case you mess up.

Nunchucks: in old games, not every weapon is precisely balanced. Some people like to have fun with weaker weapons. However, I’ve heard they’re useful in stage 1 of master ninja difficulty. (They give them to you for free in that mode.)

I am definitely not a master ninja! I’ve been playing on Normal, I guess. I don’t remember of I got a choice in the beginning. Is it in the options or is it like dmc where you have to beat the game on normal to unlock harder difficulties? Either way normal seems right to me until I finish my doctoral studies in the combat system as laid out in that gargantuan gamefaqs page.

I was reminded how excited I got when I found the nunchaku in The Last Ninja 2.
Any weapon actually.
Take that, From: all those games are inspired by the Last Ninja 2 :O

Is the wooden sword the “experts’ weapon?” I noticed it has six or seven upgrade levels, where other weapons only have two or three.

Come to think of it, does upgrading even increase damage? Or does it just unlock new moves?

I think some people use it for fun but the damage is very low. It may not even have certain moves, like the automatic jump after the XY launcher. So it’s not used for style like people do in Nioh.

If you upgrade it all the way, it turns into a secret weapon. Not worth worrying about until the end of the game when you can earn money quickly. If at all.

Finished up chapter 5. This game is ridiculous with a capital RIDIC. Spawning three ninjas right on top of me after loading a save? Come on, man.

Haha, I know that spot.

I finished a run through Sigma and Sigma 2. Now to put some time into 3RE. Some say it’s the worst of the three games, but I’m looking forward to getting deep into the combat system.