Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

How is Bomberman overall? Good for single-player or just multiplayer?

I watched the trailer and the art style looks really distracting, too much grittiness instead of a cartoony style that’s more easy to read. For something that hectic I don’t want distracting art all over the place.

Prime members get 20% off on all physical video games (on all platforms, even PC) if pre-ordered, or purchased within 2 weeks of release. It’s been, that one feature alone (not even considering Prime free 2 day shipping), worth the price of a Prime membership for me.

Nintendo offer free repairs with a one-week turnaround for that.

Target has Switch bundles available online, but they’re $499 and include stuff I’ve already purchased. (They have Zelda, MK8, pro controller, etc.)

Sounds like the Disgaea 5 demo is out in the US to give a try. I think I will pull this down to see if it clicks with me, as I’d love a SRGP for the Switch.

Yeah, pretty psyched about Thumper and Disgaea. I’ll be picking both up asap. I already have Thumper for the PS4 but I haven’t got too far because I just can’t adjust the input delay properly on my TV. It’s not a problem for most games but a couple of very exacting rhythm games just don’t play well for me. Handhelds are usually great for that kind of stuff.

SRPGs are great portable games and I haven’t played a Disgaea since 2. And it’s just in time for a long flight I’ll have next week. Yay.

Why is Europe lagging a few days behind the US for the demo and release? Weird.

Yeah, I thought that was kind of strange myself…?

I bought a Switch.

• The Nintendo eShop prices in Switzerland are ripoffs on a ridiculous scale. How would you feel about e.g. Zelda for $91? Or Puyo Puyo Tetris for $57? (As compared to $30 in the US). This is really unfortunate, since obviously one would rather not use physical media with a portable device. Obviously indie games are going to be download only, and have equally inflated regional pricing.
  • That said, I’m pretty glad I bought Mario Kart physical. At least it’ll have some resale value now… I can’t imagine wanting to play much more of something this mediocre, and am absolutely baffled at the universal praise.
  • The controller layout isn’t very comfortable, and I’m having a hell of a time adjusting to confirm/cancel being the wrong way around compared to everyone else.
  • I really don’t like the dock. It feels like way too tight a fit, with no proper guide system or locking. And when docked, the Switch still wobbles a fair bit.

So, not the best first impressions. But onward to Zelda!

So I’ve mostly played with the Switch docked. A few rounds of MK with the switch out of the dock was great however. There are only a couple of controls so that makes sense. And tilt for steer is greatness.

But today I tried Zelda with the unit in portable mode and really don’t like the thumbstick placement on the right controller. It’s just way too low and awkward. It was kinda cool to have Zelda portable, but it’s not something I could do long term I don’t think. Kind of a shame really.

I think the dock is pretty cheap feeling too. I have a good cover on my screen, but still it feels like I’m running a gauntlet everytime I remove the unit. Luckily for me, it isn’t too often as I play in TV mode mostly.

Not using a screen protector and no scratches from the dock yet. I’m kind of amazed that it’s even possible, the screen should be hard enough that a plastic dock shouldn’t scratch it. They must have really cut corners on the glass.

While the portable controls aren’t as nice as the pro controller, I haven’t had any issues with gaming mobile myself. Other than L/R buttons I find even more hard to hit when mobile. I don’t think their placement is great on the Pro either though.

Can you buy from the US eShop for cheaper? I know there’s no region locking and people in the US buy from the Japan eShop for some games that come out in Japan first.

I think you you need to use a credit card that matches the eShop region.

Alternatively you can buy American Eshop credits on like amazon or something and do that. I know people use play Asia to buy Japanese cards for the Japanese store.

Edit: Autocorrect.

I love my Switch. It’s so cool. But what I don’t love, is that it keeps pinging my HDMI switcher while it is docked in sleep mode. This then causes my TV to go black for a few seconds as the switcher tries to go to the Switch as the new signal until it times out on the “new” signal and then goes back.

I’ve read about this problem as supposedly tied to Samsung TVs, but I have a Sony one. I’ve disabled all the settings on both the Switch and my TV for matching power states. It is quiet annoying. Why can’t the Switch just stay the F asleep!?

The only fix I have so far is to remove the Switch from the dock so it can’t sleep-ping the HDMI switcher. However that’s a terrible fix as it means I also can’t actually use the Switch without getting up and docking it. Which besides being a first world problem, it was also the point of having an HDMI switcher.

I still have this after 30-40 hours on Zelda. Every other controller/system has ruined me. I don’t remember being this bad in the (very recent) past.

It felt very conservative to me after Double Dash!! and particularly Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I got mine yesterday, along with Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart has a new feature called auto steering which allowed me to play Mario Kart with my 3 year old daughter.

I took it out of the box, plugged it in and it just worked. No updates, no installs, no crashing. This is how gaming should be. Sitting around a tv, passing the controller, having fun, everyone can play. God bless Nintendo.

I might be the only person on Earth who has a Switch and no Zelda.

Judging by the sales numbers, how Zelda Switch has sold more copies than Switch units have sold, you’re probably right.

Your three year old daughter would love to watch you play Zelda and read all the text for her. I did that with my boys when they were small for Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker and they all, especially the youngest, still remember that like it was yesterday. Zelda games are like storybooks you control. I only wish I could’ve done that with this one since you are now in total control of wherever you want to go.

My cousin didn’t keep his copy of Zelda bundled with his, he sold it first chance he had.