Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Nintendo reveal some stats:

These are from the financial briefing here:

Here are a couple more:

That’s some serious love for Splatoon in Japan.

The original was a huge hit in Japan.

That 3% of Usage!

Buyers by gender is pretty interesting. I mean, this is usually a male dominated hobby, but Nintendo has often had a rather high female usage. To have sold as many systems as they have and have that kind of male buy in has to be something they’re feeling good about.

Kinda sad that ARMS hasn’t resonated like Splatoon did last gen, but it’s rather bare bones compared to a lot of their other available games so it’s understandable. I think it’s a superb new property. There’s a ton of technique and skill along with a really cool fictional universe they’ve built there. I hope it sticks around. That said, more US and Euro people need to get Splatoon 2!

I’m looking forward to the next charts because I suspect you’ll see a big spike upward in those Sales charts compared to Wii and Wii U. All depends on how many they can ship for Christmas.

Part of the issue is what… WTF is ARMS? I have a Switch and 5-6 games for it, but even after watching ARMS videos and whatnot, I have no idea what it is or, more importantly perhaps, whether it would be good and/or appropriate for my kids.

It’s appropriate for you and your kids. It’s a colorful fighting game fought from a third person view behind the player character. It has the rock, paper, scissors design of punch, block, throw. There are multiple characters to choose from that each have their own specialties. You can change out your arms with different types that attack the other player in different ways. You fight to deplete their health in an arena. That’s it!

It can be played with regular controls or motion controls using one JoyCon in each hand. It has two player spilt screen play. The motion controls are just as legit as the regular ones, even in the hardcore fighting game community that plays the game. They are very precise. It’s a ton of fun.

Man, I skipped both Arms and Splatoon 2 as I’m not big on multiplayer. But if ever there’s a bit of a price drop, and a lull in quality Switch games, then I’ll snap them both up.

Arms is basically Virtua On, isn’t it? (I haven’t played it).

That’s kind of a good comparison. It’s Virtual On in a smaller space and with less tank-like controls but crossed with Street Fighter. The fighting game design is baked in there hard. It’s fun by yourself or with friends locally or foes online.

Ok, I’ve decided I want a switch for Xmas, thanks guys. I just need to sell a kidney now to pay for it.

Not sure it’s worth a kidney, but it’s a great console.

He has 2 kidneys and no switch. Seems like a good trade.

Pinball FX3 news: releasing November 14th on Switch.

Like other versions, the first taste (Sorcerer’s Lair) is free.

Supports vertical display – turn your Switch sideways. Seems like a gimmick but whatevs.

It’s not a gimmick - pinball tables are oriented vertically, after all, and vertical mode has worked great in the other versions that have had it.

I’ve seen a LOT in stock now. You think there’s going to be a heavy run on these come December?

I’m hoping for the best… more consoles out in the wild… the longer the life of the console!

Agreed. Based on the success of the Switch I am more interested in one since I think we will see a longer life span and more better games than WiiU. Wii and WiiU left me pretty sour on Nintendo, but Switch definitely seems like a return to form for Nintendo a bit.

I think the massive “Cabbage Patch Fad” success of the Wii really sent Nintendo off in a poor direction.

There already IS a run on the stock. Nintendo is just meeting demand at the moment. Production is increased and the word is they’re airshipping them in here for the holidays. It would be great if they can keep it in stock through Christmas, but they’re going to blow through everything on Black Friday and be behind for awhile again after that I suspect.

The key difference with the Switch is the portability. $299.99 US is a lot of money for people, but not too much that people won’t buy more than one for their kids in a wealthier family. Interest level is way up among my co-workers. It helps that they can see and touch one whenever I bring it in to play it.

Portable Rocket League arrives 11/14. Portable Skyrim on the 17th. These things all provide more fodder for purchases because they’re now portable games that look and play just like their counterparts on other systems.

Skyrim is available for preorder on the Nintendo shop now…god help me, I am sorely tempted. The idea of having it on the Switch…

Portable Skyrim has a very unique appeal IMO. I’m tempted too.