Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

It’s why I bought one in March instead of waiting until Christmas like a casual.

jk Merry Switchmas

Yeah, went digital for my nieces and nephews but downloaded the games Friday night and setup the account, updated the firmware then. No problems for them today. It was also only like a 10 minute process not including background download time, a huge difference from the 4 hour nightmare setting up their WiiU was.

Store seems to be working fine this morning. Anyone try it last night? I wonder how long the outage actually was?

I bought my dad an Xbox One and he still can’t use it because it took half a day to update the system, and now he can’t sign in to Xbox Live to play a single player game of Diablo 3.

I guess I should have gave it to him two weeks ago for it to be ready on Christmas. Or upgraded his PC instead.

Hooray modern consoles!!

I didn’t prep our Switch in advance but it was easy and quick. They were all physical games though and we didn’t try the store. We got all our users moved over and it is a pretty cool piece of HW.

I setup a PS4 too and I had heard that could be painful but it was just as easy if not easier (the whole Nintendo ID/Nintendo Network ID is confusing). I had one timeout logging in to PSN the first time but that didn’t seem unreasonable for Christmas day.

It seemed to clear up sometime yesterday evening, and I downloaded PInball FX3 to try out the sample table. The issue seemed to be just the e shop.

So…my wife actually gifted me a Switch for Christmas and I’m trying to figure out if I really want to use this as a portable gaming device or if this is more of an in-home item.

Has anyone used it extensively during travel? Do I need to buy accessories to make it work?

I mostly only use it as a portable device these days. You don’t NEED anything, but you probably want to buy a second charger (USB-C) and a case to prevent it from getting banged up during travel.

My usage is pretty close to 50/50. I second what @delirium said, that’s all the extra accessories I’ve purchased and it works great as a mobile device.

You definitely want a case. There are several good ones for around $20.

The nicest ones are the expensive Waterfield cases. Their new “Arcade Case” is tempting but… $110

I pretty much exclusively use it during travel (that and bed). Only accessories are a case, a big Anker battery, and a screen protector.

I guess a battery, depending on how much playtime is between you and your destination. I’ve rarely run down the Switch battery even on cross country flights, but I charge in the airport and also don’t play the entire flight time.

Anyway, if you’re going to fly with it I’d grab a cheap case and one of these things because the angle of the kickstand is terribly for cramped airline seats. And you can leave it on inside the case so it’s pretty easy to deal with.

Most of the time, though, I just put it in a 15 dollar case I bought and go. As for trying to decide if you want to play it at home or away, uh, I think the games will figure that out for you. I can’t imagine someone getting into, say, Breath of the Wild and then saying “Nope, already decided this is for home, I’m not bringing it on the 2 hour train ride.”

Any chargers you’d recommend or just get another official Nintendo one? I don’t have any other USB-C devices yet.

I’d suggest just getting a usb-a to usb-c cable and using any existing usb charger you already have.

Here’s a helpful reddit post on the matter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6jnkl4/list_of_recommended_switch_usbc_chargers/

Thanks, that’s excellent info!

I’d just buy the usb c cable separately, with an existing charger, because you’ll need one for the battery pack anyways.

I still recommend the same accessories I recommended way earlier in this thread. Excellent charger, case, screen protector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9QVE4Q/?tag=qt3-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNNV7ZY/?tag=qt3-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCXJZWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_KYQOKwhHrRuSx?tag=qt3-20

I bought the official hori case, but I’m not in love with it. After using it a bit, I think the things I’d want to consider in a case are:

• can I access the charge port when it’s in the case?
  • how easy is it to insert /remove?
  • can I play while in the case, or does it need to be removed to see the screen?

The hori case has a single zipper, and it’s way above the charge port. It has a single strap holding it in place, which is fine, but it’s elastic, rather than Velcro, so you need to slide the switch underneath the strap, and it’s easy to catch the analog sticks on the strap while doing so (which is annoying). Since the single strap goes right over the middle of the screen, you have to remove it completely to use it at all. It’s minimalist, so its thin, but there’s slots for 6 carts, and not much else accessory wise. For instance, there’s no space for the joycons wrist straps in the case.

These are all pretty insignificant, and I probably won’t even buy a new case, because it does what it has to, and I’ll use it.

If I start taking the switch on the train during my commute, I’ll consider a new case. For now, I’m trying not to, so I can make myself do other things in that time (reading, etc)

If you’re talking about the Hori Tough Pouch, here’s where I put my two Joycons wrist straps.