Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I ended up preordering the cart from Amazon Au for $70. $100 for the download version was a bit much…

I just tried the demo after reading your post. It isn’t at all my kind of game, and it certainly didn’t convince me otherwise. Much more difficult than I expected. I picked a spear and shield, and could barely figure out the controls, other than lunge with X. The monster was moving so quickly, and I felt so slow. Line up a shot and then I get pounded. I didn’t last long.

I was playing on mobile and I think I need to try on the TV with the Pro controller. Mobile I felt like I couldn’t see enough.

And geez, those cat side kicks are annoying.

Dave, we may have our differences, but I love you right now.

@Chappers @tomchick EVERSPACE! Aaaaaaaaahhhhh!

There’s no monster health bar. You just have to look for signs like running away or limping. If they get desperate they’ll run back to their nest/cave/whatever and go to sleep, where they can recover a little bit of health. It’s not very much though so if you catch them sleeping it’s a good time to set up a super move or something.

R button runs, B is for dodge/roll.

Looking smooth

Use the touchscreen!

Got 70% through on hard (there’s a death spiral on hard once certain types of enemies start appearing unless you are built for that).

So far I like the concept a lot, but it feels like it needs way more content (I think there are about 4 different items and 3 classes of troops. 6 enemies so far, whihc are just different levels of the same basic type).

I think the FTL-like structure does it a disservice. Allow me to use 8 squads on a battle and add much more configuration/level up options and it would be a great fully fledged strategy game. It has the snapiness and ease to read of a Fire Emblem. It would have worked great.

I’m going to switch to normal difficulty to try to beat it and see if there’s something interesting at the end of the campaign.

From Aoife’s hands-on at Eurogamer:

To be fair, Diablo 3 is like 20 years old at this point.

LOL! It’s only six!

To be fair the last 2 years have felt like 14.

Understand. Agreed.

Oh I totally get that it’d work fine using the touchscreen but I was on my TV using the Pro controller. I’d expect the UI to accommodate that a bit more! There’s a lot of space on the map screen and spare buttons to shift that action over.

Not sure how far along I am but I share your concerns. Will see how it unfolds. I’m currently running 4 commanders; 1 archer, 1 veteran shield, 1 pike and 1 shield with a command ring (12 man squad). Not sure why you wouldn’t take all 4 then rest up each time… Did you notice you can heal your squads in the buildings? Risky!

You can get up to 10 total squads, although in my normal playthrough (I can see, but have not yet reached, the final island) it’s better to focus on a core team of 4 commanders so far (I think it could have been more efficient to tag along newbies with the elites and have everybody leveled up, maybe it will bite me at the end).

Edit: so after 7 tries on hard (and getting to 70% completion) I tried one go on normal and reached tha last island. It was sort of underwhelming, since it had a wide top plateau and only one entry to the populated area. I had a full leveled up squad and was looking forward to end the game, but it soft-locked on me. After the initial wave the game refuses to either progress or to throw more enemies my way…

And they have acceptable latency? One of the reviews mentioned a 1 second latency…

Just picked up my first digital-only Switch game, and only our second full Switch game overall. I think Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition is the cheapest it’s been when including DLC (deal runs through 8/27). The boy likes Rabbids and I like TBS, so I’m hopeful.

Just finished whole thing. Loved it.

Cherry on sundae was the final battle in regular campaign, was convinced I had lost at one point and somehow held on.

Think I’m going to move on to Valkyria Chronicles.

The AirFly supports AptX low latency mode for Bluetooth audio. If your headphones also support this the latency is unnoticeable. If you have older headphones the lag may be an issue.

I got some money for my birthday earlier this month and I was thinking about picking up a Switch while I’m in France. I’m getting a bit tired playing on the under powered laptop we have here and it seems like a long time until January. The appartment here has a decent TV I could hook it up to and the plane ride home from Paris would probably be better with a Switch.

Two pitfalls though:
If I buy from Amazon US there is an import fee of around $50.

If I buy in France then I am stuck with a European power cable when I get back to the US.

When in France, buy the Switch and a universal convertor. With that convertor you can plug and charge the Switch back home. Problem solved? :)