Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Monster Hunter is very much a social game over here in Japan. Not just a multiplayer game but a social activity. Kids sit around in groups of 3 or 4 at the park or community center and play together. You’re just not going to get that on a console. Probably (my guess) why the console versions have done poorly compared to the handheld versions. [quote=“WarpRattler, post:937, topic:126573, full:true”]
The Japan-only PS3 port of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd sold ~400K lifetime. On PSP, it sold almost five million copies over its lifetime.

It’s not international numbers, but MH seems destined to do poorly on any non-handheld platform in Japan.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That’s my point exactly. Japan has a certain style of social play that differs from the US. Lack of a US friendly version of MH becomes a self fulfilling prophecy for MH failure in the US.

Yeah, although rightly ridiculed from an American market perspective, there’s a reason that the in-person multiplayer basketball segment was in the launch announcement.

I was gonna make the same point, lol.

Except it was “free comma limited version”. I guess you can interpret it to match the desired negative outlook that Nintendo will charge for online access and for the app. But I took it to mean that much like online functionality itself the app will not be fully finished on launch, or is limited unless you pay the online sub. ;)

Given there are two apps we know about now, I wonder if there will also be an eShop app? That’s something I would welcome.

Yeah. I have no idea what it means, I was just replying why some might infer that means a paid “full app”. It would be nice if Nintendo language was more specific on this stuff.

If you don’t know anything about the games, then sure, having similar titles might make you think that the games are similar, but they’re really not. Super Metroid is a 2D sidescroller, while Metroid Prime is a first-person exploration game. Super Mario 64 is a wide-open exploitation 3D platformer, while Super Mario Galaxy is a 3D platformer with a huge number of levels, varying gravity and points of view, and obsessively-planned platforming and camera controls. And it’s considered (by critical response) to be the single greatest videogame of all time.

The characters are the same so you know “This new game is made by the same people who made these other well-reviewed and well-loved games.” If there’s one similarity that flows through all these games, it’s that they are painstakingly planned and honed for great gameplay. And frankly, that’s not something to complain about.

Are you really trying to argue that my opinion is wrong for me? Lets debate musical tastes next! Go Phish!

It’s almost like English isn’t their native language! ;)

Touche!

Having an opinion doesn’t make you immune from debate. I mean, you can have the opinion that The Godfather is a bad movie, but that doesn’t mean that you’re correct. In this case, you said that the games for the past 20 years “seemed like more of the same,” implying that you weren’t all that familiar with how they played. I was just pointing out some of the differences you may not be aware of.

Perfectly describes all western console games as well. ;)

Problem being is that that we have had this debate before and it always just ends up with us going around in circles forever, so I figured I’d just cut to the agree to disagree portion and save the hassle.

Also your assumption that I haven’t owned every Nintendo console ever made (except original Game Boy and Game Cube) is incorrect and I have played a great many of the games you cite. For me, over that last 30 years starting with NES and up through WiiU I have found a lot of the games have started to feel samey. But that’s like, just my opinion, man.

EDIT: In the spirit of full disclosure I also never owned a Virtual Boy.

It is Nintendo, after all. They’re probably artificially limiting the amount of downloads available for their app. Or maybe it’s “limited” to the Apple app store only.

I doubt it, since the Parental App is shown on both Apple and Google.

Come on guys, potentially gals. We can’t expect every series to be revolutionary. At the same time when a series like Mario or Mario Kart shifts to 3D or adds something new, that still counts. Heck for years I used to make fun of my folks because they would turn controllers like somehow that would do anything in the game and then Nintendo pops out a wheel, and I’m like turn all the dad. It totally works now!

Nintendo has done pretty well in the new front though. They’ve been adding different kinds of games for years. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Dr. Mario, Smash Brothers. I’m not excite about Arms because it looks kind of not exciting, but it isn’t because it’s not new or slightly different from other fighters.

We’re coming off a low point for Nintendo (Wii U), but it’s not usually a good idea to count them out. And their DS stuff still offers some great stuff. I am just hoping they’re bring some of it to the console because it looks like this is not a merge of 3DS and Console like some thought it could be.

You specifically mentioned having owned the NES, SNES, and N64, and then you said that many of the games since then “seemed” like they were more of the same, so I (wrongly) assumed that you haven’t owned any of the other consoles since then. So I go back to my original statement: I don’t know how you could look at all the incredibly great games over the past 30 years and go “Oh, those are just more of the same.”

And no, I don’t think that having the same name or same main character means that the games are the same. Super Mario Galaxy has as much in common with Super Mario Bros. as a star has in common with a starfish.

Yes, I understand that, which is why I posit that our perspectives on Nintendo are very different. I think it’s awesome that Nintendo has continued to capture your imagination, and in a way I am jealous, but my own experience differs.

Not a big fan of trade-in deals but this is making the rounds so…

The most notable part is that you can actually get something for a Wii. $195 for a Wii U would be decent if the Switch was backwards compatible but I’ll personally hold on to mine.