Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

The expectation is to buy the cartridge. :)

It’s big because it’s two games in the one package.

I understand but isn’t Nintendo pushing the Nintendo online store with this? Shouldn’t they actually provide hardware for that?

I’m just provided the article, and I don’t like the information I see. if your goal is to convince me to like it, that’s just not going to work.

I typically buy physical games for consoles though, although since I PC game and I never sell games… the physical disc is not a requirement of mine. I floated the option of how nice it is not to switch out cartridges… because that is nice.

Well Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 is not a Nintendo game. But yeah, they could provide the Switch with 64gb, but that’s not going to come free. The difference between 32gb and 64gb models in other devices is not an insignificant cost. Isn’t it better that the cost is optional, via SD expansion? And it is optional, regardless of you trying to spin it as compulsory.

That won’t stop me from trying! ;)

I agree, but on 3DS I do have a few cartridges (bought when significantly cheaper than digital for some reason) and if you’re only really playing one thing at a time, and most other things are digital, you’re not swapping often.

But anyway, I’ve already bought my 128gb card. :)

KIA’s were also cheap when they came out… then people found out the stereo was optional. I don’t consider stereos in cars as optional anymore than I do storage space on consoles as optional. This isn’t a tablet… it’s a console. It should have storage space, no spin about it.

Games don’t need to be installed on the system like they do on the xbone or ps4 so there is a significant amount of switch owners who will be fine with 32gb of on board memory. For the rest of us it kind of sucks that 32 is our only option before going for memory cards, but I picked up a 200gb card for less than 70 bucks. Its not that big of a deal and if, lets say, they offered a 128 GB model for 100 bucks more (which seems to be the way other companies handle memory pricing) I would have still gone with the 32gb system and 200gb card.

Would I have appreciated a larger capacity at 300 at launch? Of course, but I don’t see what the big deal is with the 32gb as is right now. If you want to go digital, expand it. For perspective, you can fit Zelda, Mario Kart, Snipperclips, and a few other games on the on board. Its just Dragon Quest is over double Zelda, probably because 3rd parties really seem to not care about file sizes these days.

Nintendo Account User IDs are now available. Unique, but changeable – I grabbed mine and was able to login using it right away.

https://accounts.nintendo.com/

Yeah, I grabbed mine as well.

Glad to have a

“Nickname”
“Nintendo Network ID”
and now a
“Nintendo Account ID”

This all makes a lot of sense and isn’t confusing at all.

Yeah those have been available since last year, unless I’m missing something, because I already signed up for one when Miitomo came out.

I think the UserID part is new.

It’s not the best analogy… this situation is more like if the KIA shipped with basic stereo speakers, but you wanted quad speakers and demanded that the basic package include them - when for most people the cheaper base model with stereo speakers is sufficient. :)

Oh no friend, that was your Nintendo network ID, this is your unique Nintendo account ID.

How could you ever be confused an make a mistake about that?

You see you keep arguing it’s enough… but you bought card already, so clearly not enough for you. Why do you think it would be enough for me?

I’m arguing that it’s enough for the base package, and keeps the cost down for the typical user. And that it’s not worth getting upset over.

I don’t think they made a good choice with this. You and anyone else who claims it is fine but already decided to make a purchase to fix it are free to feel otherwise.

Well okay, thanks; I also made purchases to fix my Vita, 3DS, PS4, and Wii-U so I guess I’m just used to it. :)

This discussion is interesting because of the talk by Square Enix about how they are considering FFIX, and I argued with my friend that we won’t ever see a mainstream MMO on the Switch because it would require massive SD cards by the users just to install (due to patch sizes and whatnot).

Then this happens, heh.

Oh, it also wasn’t very obvious what was happening from the mobile version of the site. It didn’t tell me the User ID wasn’t set, the way it more obviously does from a desktop browser. Cool.

Also it made me enter my password twice when I set it. So much time wasted ;)

Why is it asking me to reset my password when I hit the button to edit my User ID?

Because you probably never had one set; that was the case for me.

With regards to MMOs on the Switch:

Games like Phantasy Star Online 2 and Monster Hunter Frontier have Vita versions that require a large memory card for patches and such. The Vita uses proprietary memory, unlike the Switch, but people are still perfectly willing to shell out for expensive memory cards to play those games. Somehow I don’t think spending less than $20 (going from current Amazon prices) for a 64GB SD card to be able to play an MMO on the Switch is going to be much of a problem!