Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

i suspect there may actually be as many as in the single digits of us!

I’m on team Wii U.

Me Too! I have a Wii U!

I’m undecided on whether I hunt midnight launches for one, pick it up later, or just play Zelda on my barely used “why do I keep buying Nontendo boxes” WiiU. I am hoping side by side of WiiU vs Switch Zelda help me make the call.

I’m on team BotW WiiU too. Not getting Switch till they bundle game(s) and charger kit.

Possible joycon locking mechanism issues

He did say he dropped the switch and it landed on one of the Joycons, but it looks like the other one was able to be pushed out as well.

It’s also interesting that Nintendo has them slide out from the top, because in theory if they don’t lock the switch tablet portion will just slide out from under you (where as if they slid in from the bottom instead you can still hold it by only the joycons and the switch should stay in place).

Edit: actually I guess it has to slide from the top to put the Joycons on and off while docked.

Well they had the top the Wii Mote in the middle TV screens so why not get bunch of Facebook posts showing tablets slamming against various floors.

Maybe the hype is getting to me, but I was thinking back on the feature that excited the most in recent gens. I loved being able to play a game on both the TV and handheld for PS4 (remote play or cross buy/save) and WiiU (save transfer to 3DS). It was fantastic being able to bring a game to lunch or just bedtime with me, but also not being confined to a tiny uncomfortable device at other times. So maybe I should be excited. I just wish it was not Nintendo and their always under powered machines that all software not Nintendo leaves behind. If it was on par with PS4, it would be my main system.

Thus while I love the 3 in 1 feature, I am not sure how much I really care about Zelda, Mario, Splattoon, Pokemon, or Kart racing.

This makes a lot of sense. The TV mode equivalent of the touch screen is joy-con motion control, and while analogous, there are some experiences that clearly wouldn’t translate.

How do you expect it to be the power of a PS4 and also portable? That’s still a ways away, especially with no lithium ion contender on the horizon.

Team Wii U here as well.

Team ‘I haven’t bought a console since the original Wii launched, but if I buy another it’ll be Nintendo’ here.

Because the only console exclusives I have any interest in are Metroid, Zelda, and various Mario series (Smash Bros, Kart, mainline platformers)

They just had a (relatively short) Nintendo Switch Nindies Showcase, where they went over about 15 Switch games coming from indie developers this year. The standout titles I noticed were Steamworld Dig 2, a sequel to Retro City Rampage, Yooka Laylee, and Stardew Valley.

It’s also nice to see that a lot of the games will have local multiplayer. And I admit, I’m glad I don’t have to decide between portable or console versions!

STEAMWORLD DIG 2???

God damn it now I guess I need to buy a Switch. Hopefully it’s on 3DS also…

Only the Switch version has been announced so far, but it wasn’t announced as a Switch exclusive (which they definitely talked about for other games). I’d say you have a good shot of it becoming available for other consoles as well.

Looks like the Pro controller is XInput compatible

I think I might have done something crazy like buy a Switch on a whim. Send help!

I wouldn’t count on a 3DS version, but like the first game I expect it will make it to PlayStation, Xbox and PC.

You can do that? I thought it’s a no go at this point on buying one unless you get super lucky.

I live in the antipodes where Nintendo products are outrageously expensive ($470 Aus/$550 NZ), so I don’t think there’s any concerns of running out of stock before launch. The Switch’s still available at pretty much every electronics retailer just a day before release.