Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I know at least Walmart will have Switch units on sale for walk-in customers, even if pre-orders are sold out. Best line up! ;)

If you line up at Walmart please Periscope it.

DF has done a bit more testing on the controller de-sync issues:

They haven’t found massive issues, but did detect some differences in the signal strength of left vs. right controller.

Wendelius

There’s a pretty comprehensive review here:

EG’s full review is out too:

For those wondering what they’ll be playing after Zelda, this is a good article. It also talks a lot about how easy it is to port to Switch.

Kyle Orland’s review is a good one too and someone I trust.

Encouraging news from that Ars Technica piece:

If the darned thing were under 10mm so it would fit in my tablet stand, I’d probably pick one up.

You can get a dedicated Switch stand for $12 on Amazon. It seems odd to not buy a $300 console for want of a $12 stand.

Probably difficult to understand, but I have very specific needs as far as a stand goes with regard to some health issues. And I have a stand that has become a huge part of my life. The stand matters more to me than the system.

Acknowledged. I’m sorry for your health issues, and I hope you can find some sort of solution that works for you.

Nah, it’s all good. It’s simply having the right ergonomic setup is a big deal for undoing the damage I’ve done by having horrible posture for years and stopping it from becoming a major, major problem.

I’ve been thinking about the vague statements Nintendo made that they may not be done with the dedicated handheld market.

What would be really awesome is if they release a new handheld with the form factor of the Vita or a foldable thing like the 3DS, but it’s basically just a Switch you can’t dock.

Same exact hardware and same exact software support, but it’s more portable by omitting the removable controllers and capability to dock. I think I’d actually buy that before I bought a switch.

Sure it wouldn’t support some games like 1-2 switch or anything else that takes advantage of the haptics, but I honestly couldn’t care less about those games.

Yeah, I definitely expect this to happen sooner or later. Keeping a unified development platform makes way too much sense for them to create a separate, non-compatible 3DS successor. It’s a bit awkward in terms of branding with not being able to “switch” between modes, but no more so than dropping the titular 3D ability with the 2DS.

Why would it be awesome to remove the docking functionality?

To make it more portable and cheaper. The Switch is almost as big as the Wii U tablet controller. Just too big for many scenarios for me personally and too expensive for an exclusive portable.

All the dock does is use the USB-C charging port to provide power and HDMI out, so I don’t see why you couldn’t have a different optional dock for a newer, smaller Switch version.

(edit: and use a pro controller, obviously)

I more just want a video out dongle so I can hook it to any TV in my house without lugging the dock around.

Do we know if the Switch pro controller can be used on the WiiU? I haven’t been able to figure this out with Google.

There’s no reason to think it would. Wii / WiiU cobtrollers don’t work on the switch, so I assume there’s no backwards compatibility either.