Nintendo Switch

Didn’t they talk about 4k for TV out? How will they manage that without beefing up the internals?

Not sure why they couldn’t up it to a 1080 screen if it’s really going to have more horsepower, especially if they are willing to upgrade to OLED.

Wow, since I’m not interested in a handheld console, the only silver lining for me in this news is that maybe they will sell the non-OLED version for cheaper once the OLED version is out.

Probably battery concerns. The battery life on intensive games in handheld is already mediocre.

Battery life will dramatically improve with OLED though.

Well keep in mind this is all still rumours, and ‘according to people familiar withs’.

There’s been nothing official yet about 4K or any of it.

Comments like “There’s enough people with dev kits that leaks should happen any day now” indicate more than a screen type/size change, otherwise why would you need a new dev kit?

Yeah, it’s crazy rumor time but that’s kind of fun if you don’t take it seriously.

I, for one, will be quite happy if they go OLED on a slightly larger screen, but keep it 720p. This is an excellent “solution” for certain games with smallish text.

The area calculations always surprise me. New screen would be 27% larger. Seems like a big diff.

It’s kind of wild when I realize the Switch is already 4 years old. It feels like it just came out. It’s already over halfway through it’s lifecycle (assuming 7 years).

I guess time flies as you get older. Did you know He-Man and the Masters of the Universe only aired for 2 years? It felt like that show was on for my entire childhood. 83-85. Crazy.

It’s also been 4 years since BotW and we still don’t have the sequel. That’s 2 full runs of He-Man!

I was calculating how much getting the Switch and the games I want to play on it will cost me, and I think it came to around $700, since all the Nintendo titles are evergreen and never come down in price. Good god, definitely the most expensive console out of the 3. And if I want a Pro controller, maybe another $20-70. If I want a memory card, another $50 or so? So around $770-$830 cost when I get it.

The Series X has so far cost me $500 for the hardware, $30 for Falconeer, and maybe $50 more in games bought in sales since then, but even that $50 has come mostly from points earned via Microsoft points. Same with all the games I’ve accessed through Game Pass, where Game Pass time gets added via Microsoft points. So really $530 spent so far.

I waited to get the PS4 exclusives I wanted, and over the entire generation, I think getting all the exclusives I wanted cost me about $200 total. Add in PS+ and I guess I spent about $700 on PS4 the entire generation.

Nintendo seems like the cheapest, but it’s definitely the most expensive of the three.

Or has the most games you’re interested in :P

What really makes me shake my head is that Arms is still being sold for full price. ARMS!

Oh, I was definitely interested in more PS4 exclusives than Nintendo Switch exclusives. They’re just much cheaper over time.

Also, core titles do go on sale at WM/Target/Best Buy/Amazon semi-frequently, and during each sales event on the eShop, there’s usually a couple of token AAA 1st party games that will go down digitally, too. Just takes a little patience and maybe subscribing to Dekudeals wishlist :)

Not necessarily. Depends what you are displaying. OLeds get extremely bright as needed. A mostly white image will eat up power more than nonoled. Black images are the reverse of that of course.

Regardless, it’s less battery use than non-OLED. I mean, unless you are staring at a pure white screen with the brightness jacked up. Don’t do that.

Yeah, my understanding is that OLED laptops have worse battery life in practice than their non-OLED counterparts. Phones tend to do better because more apps have true-black dark modes.

They get occasional $30-40 sales on the big first party games.

Except it’s not.

You are understanding correctly. It ends up being mostly a wash in normal use. Gaming is not dark mode web surfing.

OLED Advantages and Disadvantages | HowStuffWorks.