Nintendo Switch

I reeeeeaaaallly like Wreckfest. There is just enough predictability in moments that I occasionally do some awesome laps careening off the enemies.

And the way it’s so stupidly unfair sometimes to your health is often funny. I’d buy a Super Switch to run it at 60 fps.

Wreckfest is awesome. Been playing it since it was in beta for years. I got copies on every platform but the switch! :)

Yeah I own it for PC but I’m just astounded as to how well it works on the Switch.

So emulating Switch games is so easy and widespread that hey, here we go:

https://irdeto.com/news/denuvo-by-irdeto-launches-the-industrys-first-nintendo-switch-emulator-protection/

That’ll show’em, they’ll have to pirate them on real Switches for a whole week.

Yeah, but they’re also going to ruin the native games by including Denuvo so that they run more slowly & worse on Switch native hardware too… because the Switch has so much performance headroom that it couldn’t possibly be a problem and piracy is such a huge problem on the platform and software prices are clearly too low.

don’t you worry: Nintendo will be the first to put a way to block software running Denuvo’s stuff XD

I’ve put a few hours now into Immortals Fenyx Rising, and so far it’s working for me so much more than Breath of the Wild. I think maybe I just don’t like Nintendo’s aesthetics? In hindsight, I probably should’ve just waited for a Steam Deck.

I know what you mean. I adore Immortals on PC and when I got Switch I expected to love BotW which everyone calls the best game ever. But it left me somewhat cold. It’s unstructured. The combat feels very chaotic and equipment-based. The puzzle dungeons are a rare sight and between them there isn’t much to interact with. Every problem seems to be solveable with consuming food.

Approaching BotW as an Ubistuff collecthon is about as sensible as expecting to find D&D dungeon helping material reading Tolstoy.
Commandable effort, though, guys.

Nice to hear I am not the only one who didn’t get it - I am a huge Skyrim fan, and open world as well, and this game just didn’t do anything for me at all.

I loathe open world games, as they are strangely called, and their feeling of futility, and think both BotW and Shadow of the Colossus are brilliant, hours absorbing boxes of wonders.
Maybe they are not open world games.

I think its safe to say your experience is the norm here, and we few who didn’t get it, are the minority.

I do think it has all the checkboxes I associate with open world games - it just seemed too empty of things to do for me. I would guess its the gameplay cycle that didn’t click with me.

For me open world means some systemic world simulation. Like in Skyrim there are decisions that affect the world, random encounters mean that everywhere you go you can see something unexpected, like a dragon attacking a bandit camp. Well, most of the time it’s a dragon attacking somebody, yeah. But also NPCs travel around the world, and those are named important NPCs that you might want to track. If there’s nothing like that then I’d rather call a game just… big, rather than a world. Like people say Elden Ring is a cool open world, but I don’t see it at all. It’s just a huge level, there are no differences from Dark Souls or Sekiro except in terms of size. GTA3 size was very small but it was still an open world cause it dynamically simulated police, ambulances, and taxis that you could take into account and that could influence whatever’s happening here and now. Same for, say, Assassins Creed or Far Cry or Watch_Dogs series where there are patrolling guards and missions are relatively freeform and you affect the world in a variety of ways.

With Immortals or BotW I don’t see open-worldness. Maybe I’m missing something in BotW but both of those games have an introduction on a small isolated level that shows you most of there is in the game. It would be the same game if instead of opening up the game threw you into another small zone like that. It feels more of a simple Immersive Sim like Deus Ex to me, but bigger. You go from an interest point to an interest point. Getting there might be interesting and some interest points might require observation to find but I don’t see the world behind it.

Of course it doesn’t mean those games are bad or anything. I appreciate the Theme Park feel of Immortals with its more structured approach and a more straightforward case of numbers going up. BotW left me feeling aimless. I have quests and a lot of activities that reward me with better gear and crafting components and hearts or stamina, but I don’t find traveling between points of interest interesting, the combat is not really engaging because I can always chug an “I win” potion and in general it’s more clunky than Immortals.

I frankly didn’t expect such an elaborate and interesting answer to my butthurt posting! This is what happens when you stay a mere week away from this place.

Your point is very interesting to me, because the NPCs and their behaviours are mostly what breaks my immersion in the games you mention. I like to mention, as an extreme, the point where you strike a person by mistake in an Elder Scrolls game, and the entire town turns into a bloodthirstry and angry mob that makes Dead Rising games feel like a happy place.
But it’s the case in even small interactions. For instance, repeated world events (a staple of Rockstar games) just turned me off of games like Read Dead Redemption, with no hope to jumping back and feeling the sense of wonder I’m expecting.
I’ll confess this is why Immortal Fenyx Rising is one of the rare games I enjoyed in that genre, as those were very limited. Sadly, the busy nature of the game was overwhelming to me after a point.
I’m also pursuing that aimlessness you mention, like I love to wonder randomly in real life (sometimes to my demise, but that’s other stories). Breath of the Wild offered this aplenty to me. UnReal World does as well, in a very different representation.
To the point: I haven’t finished Breath of the Wild, nor feel the need to. After 150 or 200 hours of exploring it I just let it down.

I guess games are all different, damn our will to put them in genres!

Well said.

The controls were cumbersome enough that even after twenty or so hours across three attempts (the game was the reason I bought a Switch so I really wanted to like it!) that I never felt comfortable or fluid. In combat especially, but also during puzzle sequences and even just moving through the world.

The lack of interesting characters or story further sapped my motivation for continuing. And my god, the design of all the characters chaffed me horribly. I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s very much Not For Me. This is something I find with all first party Nintendo games, so it’s not just Zelda.

But the world itself is gorgeous. I did quite enjoy walking through the landscape.

See, and for me, Bethesda games have always fallen apart in this aspect. Sure, the NPCs will respond to you in limited ways, but the world feels so static. Whereas BotW adds in a bunch of systems that connect to the world/landscape and made it all feel more alive. Physics, fire, lightning, climbing/gliding, etc.

While I enjoyed BotW, it was not one of my favorite games. Similar to No Man’s Sky, I can appreciate how much some folks enjoy hanging out in and poking at its world, but I was just too impatient to explore aimlessly. Elden Ring seems to have taken BotW’s lead, but produced much more compelling gameplay (for me.)

You can buy the Splatoon 3 Switch from Nintendo’s store now. So pretty!

Almost makes me wish I didn’t already own a Switch OLED so that I could have gotten this one instead. But since I almost never use the controllers on the side since I got the Pro Controller, it actually wouldn’t have made a difference. I never see the color on them anyway.

all the switch look the same to me: my hori pad pro are not leaving their spot on the side of mine!