Nintendo Switch

Well sure, if you want to get technical and use “official word from Nintendo” as proof!

Still, it seems like a rare few exceptions in a sea of games that have online backup, for the low low price of $20 a year.

Out today…

Contra-esque. It’s by the Oniken and Odallus devs. Reviews are great.

I read a preview in Frecnh a couple months ago about how the first level was brilliant. Glad to hear apparently the rest of the levels are up to it!

It does sound like the Switch version is not as good as the others. Porting done by a different team. Sigh.

Looks like the new model will have a vastly superior battery, cost the exact same as the current model, and basically just replace the existing model in the wild.

That’s quite the upgrade. Nothing I need, I rarely play more than a few hours at a time and I am good about docking it when I’m done playing so it’s ready the next time, but I like that it exists and I suppose at some point I’ll need to replace my Switch and it’s cool this will be waiting for me.

Are there any firm rumors pointing to the possibility of a Switch+ type deal in the next year or so? If this is the only substantial “upgrade” we’re likely to see before a sequel, I’m probably going to finally spring for one of these this Christmas

They released some over-clocking patches to reduce load times with a previous firmware. I wonder if the increasing battery life opens the door for some more power-management shenanigans along those lines (or other ways to improve performance).

My understanding is some of the issue is actually heat and not just battery concerns, but that’s also something they can improve without changing the main hardware.

No. There are no firm rumors or any confirmation. What people have deduced from all the filings is that the base unit, other than a battery life upgrade, will remain essentially the same. The changes inside will be like a new model number for a PlayStation if you’re familiar with how Sony constantly updates the hardware and changes the model number designation since the PS2 days. (aka… some PS2s, PS3s and PS4s are more desirable than other PS2s, PS3s and PS4s.)

Yeah, sorry, I did understand that. More meant a fully new model. It felt like news about the PS4Pro and Xbox One Superdiddlyumptious was leaking out months ahead of the official announcements, much less launches, to the point that some friends held off on buying the original iterations of those consoles till the fancy versions hit to ensure they’d have the “best” version.

If it looked like a half gen bump for the Switch was gonna hit in 2020, I wouldn’t buy in this year, even at a fairly steep discount, cuz it’s likely to be the only console I’ll buy for five+ years, so I wanna wring as much longevity out of it as possible.

Tbh it feels a little sad for folks who bought Switches to take advantage of the Prime Day deal with the improved not technically an upgrade model being confirmed literally the next day.

It doesn’t matter when you announce it, someone will be left behind. Battery life is ok with the base unit although this is obviously a nice upgrade. Still, if you’re buying this Switch, you probably want to play docked because otherwise you should just wait for the Lite.

How much do second hand Switches go for? I’m more tempted by this than the Lite given that battery life is my main complaint with the existing model.

Second hand is about $20-$50 less I think. It’s still a hot item. You also have to consider that second hand Switches may have had a lot of portable use which could mean lots of jostling.

I was thinking more if I sell mine, how much will I get.

Battery savings almost certainly come from a new SoC. Whether that’s the Tegra X2 or the X1 on a smaller process is unknown. My guess is the latter. And sure, that does mean it will generate less heat at a given clockspeed, so it could very well be clocked higher when necessary. We don’t know if Nintendo is actually doing that, but it’s possible.

Gamestop offers $200, so that’s a reasonable expectation if you were selling elsewhere, I’d think.

Yeah, I would not be surprised if Nintendo eventually offers a higher clock speed option for devs on this model. Maybe they dont, maybe they wait until the “Switch Pro” appears, but I bet it’s doable.

I’ve never found battery life to be a problem with my Switch. For long flights I always have this portable battery with me anyway and most planes I’m on these days have outlets anyway, even in the cheap seats.

It’ll be nice for new purchasers who don’t already have a Switch though!

Fucking Luigi, I died twice okay? Let me struggle at least to a game over before you ask me to put on training wheels.

That is annoying.