Nintendo Switch

I dunno if anyone else has played it, but Blasphemous is very good.

Iā€™ve been trying to get my 15 year old daughter into RPGs for years, but she has no patience for menu screens and worrying about gear stats and leveling. Yet, she can spend hours building something in Minecraft. I donā€™t get it. Tried to get her into Zelda since thatā€™s pretty simple, but as soon as she gets stuck she moves on. She did finish both Mirrorā€™s Edge games which I could not get into.

And co-op games? Diablo 3 bores her after a short time, as do other action RPGs. She loves the shooters though, but Iā€™m not really into FPS games. The only thing we seem to agree on is Overcooked.

I cannot wait to get this (when I pick up a Switch Lite, soon). I loved all the older 2D Zeldas, even the Capcom ones. Those had the ā€œmagicā€. Aside from WIndwaker, havenā€™t really been able to get into the 3D Zeldas. And never got more than an hour into the two DS games.

Would love it if Super Metroid got a similar remake treatment.

I just canā€™t bring myself to pay $60 for a 20 year old Zelda game even with updated graphics. Fortunately I can get my fix while waiting for a reduced price by playing A Link to the Past for free on the Switch SNES library.

One of the all time greats.

There are few moments in gaming history better than the end of Super Metroid, when you get charged up by the metroid and murder Mother Brain with a freaking RAINBOW LASER OF DEATH.

Playing through Super Metroid on my SNES classic with my son was a joy. He was so excited to watch daddy ā€˜play your favorite game moreā€™, and the Metroid mother moment had him gasp.

While trying in vain to preorder the Rune Factory 4 Special LE at GameStop the other day (they donā€™t have it in their computer yet because XSEED hasnā€™t given a real release date and itā€™s a smaller title), I flipped through their upcoming-games book and was reminded that the remake of YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world. is out in a couple of weeks, so I got a preorder in for that.

For those who donā€™t know, YU-NO is considered an all-time great visual novel and has never received an official English release (though the old Windows version has a fan translation). While the prologue and epilogue are decently-long visual novels on their own, the main game is a meaty and rather text-heavy point-and-click adventure game based around time travel. The remake is apparently not as good as the original, but I donā€™t know how much of that is ā€œthis is actively badā€ versus ā€œI donā€™t like this decision made for the remakeā€ - for example, most of the characters have new, somewhat more modern designs than the ā€˜90s original and its very ā€˜90s designs. Still, Iā€™m willing to give the new version a shot.

Some of the appeal of the original was its esthetics, in the 16 colours pixel artistry (hey @jpinard ;) and the incredible soundtrack, and it seems from what I heard the soundtrack at least hasnā€™t been massacred too much (unlike the 32 bits remakes for instance). Still not as good as the original, but oh well.

On the scenario side, they probably dumped the loads of gratuitous ā€œsexā€ that had nothing to do there for the better. But there are some aspects of the game that would be straight illegal in todayā€™s Japan (not even mentionning the rest of the world) that werenā€™t back then, and I wonder how they got around them. Itā€™s really the elephant in the room, and nobody ever seemed to talk about it in Japan ā€” you donā€™t talk about games there anyway unless you want to be sued by Famitsu who holds the patent on the concept.

I didnā€™t play what was mentioned, ut I sure have a lot of love for a Rune Factory! Wish I had a Nintendo Switch for that.

Itā€™s a remaster, so probably not worth buying a Switch for if youā€™ve already played the 3DS version. Youā€™ve got a bit more time until Rune Factory 5 arrives!

Well Hell! Diablo 3 is on sale again and I finally broke down and got it for the 3rd time (Xbone and PC previously). I did enjoy it more as a twin stick game on the Xbox rather than a M/KB game on the PC so Iā€™m hoping to get back into it on the switch and all portable like!

I did the same thingā€¦D3 on 3 platformsā€¦and Iā€™m playing the switch now most of the time.

Sameā€¦

battery life on the Switch Lite is not really great, maybe 4-5hrs on average playing games. So it is not really portable ā€¦ but I knew that before.

On par with an iPad.

I dunno, thatā€™s portable by my lights, yā€™know? I canā€™t imagine wanting much more actual playing time than that. But I totally get that one can feel differently and be disappointed.

Is there a previous Nintendo handheld (with built-in rechargeable batteries, anyway) that did better? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever owned it, if so. Similarly, the PSP and Vita I never got much more life out of, if even that much.

I think the DS lite had 8-10 hoursā€¦ 3DS could not repeat that anymore, though

I can say I definitely never got that kind of battery life out of the original DS. I never bothered with the Lite because it wasnā€™t introducing anything super new.

Yes the PSP was notoriously low: it had supposedly CPU throttling thingies to help it, but in practice 3 hours of gameplay was to be expected in my experience.
Likewise, I had an original DS and it was pretty grim. The Lite improved massively upon it according to my wife.
I get about 4 hours with the regular Switch, but Iā€™m playing games that arenā€™t demanding in portable modes (stuff like Dandy Dungeon or the Sega Ages).
If those 4-5 hours are available while playing demanding 3D games like Zelda, thatā€™s pretty great I think.