Nintendo's 2016 Console Release - The NES Classic Edition

Except it’s not. It’s fundamentally different.

“You wouldn’t download a car”. They mean couldn’t. You can’t download a car.

I do want to say that I’m not trying to make a moral judgment about this, obviously that is up to the beholder. I’m not saying “it’s not stealing” to defend it or say it’s ok, I’m only saying it’s different.

Sorry.

I didn’t mean to re-ignite that debate.

Downloadable cars would be awesome. Get on it, Musk!

Look at the price spike on Amazon after Nintendo announced that it was discontinued

Ebay stock price probably just went up. :v

I’m more interested in the SNES offering than I ever was NES but it depends on what games they include. A lot of the top titles for me were lengthy JRPGs and I’d be surprised if they included more than a couple of those.

Sweet there’s nothing like camping Target at 5am in December to get your hands on one of the 3 units Nintendo decided to ship to your store.

If they’re smart they’ll manufacture 2 million of these things in the first run. But it’s Nintendo, so they build 200k worldwide then act surprised that people bought them all.

Yet I keep buying their products…

I’m sure it will be limited, as will the N64 and Gamecube units. Which if course will lead into the all in one unit, which will then lead into the NES classic 2 with a different selection of games, etc etc etc.

Considering the original GC was basically a microconsole on its own right, this would be so silly. . . yet so glorious. But fully half the charm of the GC was in this delightfully dorky mini-DVDs it used for storage. . .

. . . I really loved the GC.

We still have ours, was an awesome little machine and Kirby Air Ride still sees the occasional playtime with the kids.

I wouldn’t get a mini N64. That console was rubbish, and that’s when Nintendo started to lose its grip on what people wanted.

The superior version of Mario 64 is on the DS, and Zelda 64 has been redone as well I believe. What else is worth playing on the N64? Mario Kart maybe? Goldeneye? That game does not hold up unfortunately.

Goldeneye was amazing.

Super Mario 64 was mind blowing when it first came out. I remember some kid in college my Freshman year got that, and had like everyone in the whole freaking dorm crammed into his room just to watch.

The N64 would still be my favorite console if it wasn’t for the 360. So I guess it’s my second favorite console of all time. It was an amazing console for same screen multiplayer, and Mario 64 of course. But 4 player Mario Kart 64, 4 player tank fighting games, 4 player multiplayer in Goldeneye, it was a living room joy machine.

So much wrong in one post.

This forum needs a downvote button.

The only hangup I have with a potential N64 classic is they’d either have to drop the game count (likely especially with increasing file sizes) or really scrape the bottom of the barrel – as much as I love the system the library is tiny.

Now this is one I’m actually interested in.

I played a bunch of SNES games in the early 2000s on my roommate’s modded Xbox. That’s how I got to experience a lot of FF VI and all of Chronotrigger. Great console.

I have two concerns though, that were eliminated when I played it on an Xbox:

• I hate d-pads, but the Xbox emulator let me use the analog stick. Yay!
  • I hate long pauses in games like Chronotrigger, but the emulator had a speedup button, so I go super fast through areas with no enemies, or easy enemy fights, or long cutscenes.

I don’t expect the mini-SNES to have an analog stick, obviously, but they’d better have a speed-up button.

I still have about a dozen GC games, and have no intention of ever getting rid of them. Granted one is the Sonic compilation, but the exclusives? Rogue Squadron 2, Smash Brothers, Wind Waker, the Prime series…

Oh Metroid Prime…

Any console that has my second favorite game of all time scores high in my books.

There was this game for the 64 with tanks, I believe it was BattleTanx, that we played to death. That and Army Men. Those were some rock solid split screen fun. Add Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 and it was probably the high water mark for couch multiplayer, and unlikely to ever be surpassed.

Maybe I’m the only one here, but rather preferred the idea of the NES classic to the SNES classic. I see the tiny consoles more as novelty items to play around with friends and less something to play alone for long periods of time. The games on SNES got a lot longer, RPGs started growing into their present reputation of 60-80 hour affairs and action games also got longer and often became collectathons in their own right.

So what are your guesses for the actual titles? I’m thinking:

• Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Mario Kart
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch Out!
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Earthbound
  • Kirby Super Star (would be cool too)
  • Tetris Attack (God I hope so!)
  • Super Contra 3
  • TMNT: Turtles in Time
  • Castlevania IV (Although I prefer Dracula X)
  • Street Fighter II Super Ultra Mega Turbo of Doom!
  • Megaman X (Heck yeah!)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Final Fantasy III (6)

Okay, that’s a pretty good lineup right there… hmm. I’m convincing myself.