Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

nioh

Downloading now. Don’t know if I’ll manage to stay up late enough to start it tonight, but at least it will be ready for tomorrow.

Wow, they start you off quick. I picked up fists and odachi, just to be different than my kusa/sword use from the first one.

Tried briefly, felt like loading a level from the first game. Hardly looks like a 2021 game and the performance is still subpar given the graphics. Also lol @ enemy tracking, had enough of this bullshit in the first game already. Alt+F4, uninstall.

Yeah early technical impressions are unfavourable.

I made the mistake of clicking on ‘Boons’ at a shrine and my inventory was loaded up with a whole lot of DLC equipment.

Took 5 minutes to unlock then drop it all, after which its presence tanks the frame rate. :P

Well I’m getting a free upgrade from my PS4 version to PS5 so I’ll let you know if it plays well.

Ah, it’s so nice to be able to see things at native resolution now.

As we feared, there’s a performance glitch that causes framerate to drop and stutter while looking at certain effects like fire and particles. On a 3070 it’s noticeable but playable – I zipped through the first mission and had a great time.

The bad news is I’ve already had one crash while casually browsing through a menu.

Team Ninja has been prolific with their patches, so I’m confident they’ll fix everything unless Koei Tecmo tries to pinch pennies. If anyone is sensitive to this kind of thing, you might want to wait. It’s up to you.

Ha ha, sounds like someone got stomped by the optional mini-boss at the beginning!

People are saying on the forums that setting effects to low fixes that issue without any noticeable loss of graphic quality. Not sure if true, but it’s the workaround for now.

I certainly did. I thought, wow the second fight is a boss. Crazy! Even when it repeatedly told me that I didn’t have to fight it, I was too stubborn. I did eventually give up and have moved on. I will return for it though!

I don’t know that fists are going to be for me. I’m trying to give them enough time, but they may require me to be too close.

Haha, that’s what I thought, I was like what hell is this? Anyway, Hatchet for the win, I kind cheated, just used high stance Hatchet throw to drain the mini boss’s Ki, then jump in and beat him up.

Sure, but the tracking is still bull.

Why yes, he is!

Gozuki will become an old friend. Every NG+ he’s there waiting for you to put your build to the test.

@Effidian The fists are pretty hard to learn. They focus on ki damage so it takes a long time to kill things unless you understand the stamina system. The main mechanic requires you to switch attacks to speed up each additional attack through one continuous combo, so you also need to know when it’s safe to commit or you’ll take a lot of damage.

Supposedly they’re one of the strongest endgame weapons but I haven’t explored them enough to figure out how that works.

Whew. I’m going to swap to something else for NG then. I’ll try hatchets.

There is no way to turn off the bloody graves, right?

Lots of people asking the same thing on the Steam forums, and no positive answers yet, so I assume there isn’t… at least not yet.

So tried the hatchet many times on that first mini-boss and just wasn’t getting it. Decided to switch to the Odachi and see what that felt like and he went down the first time. Now, I did have a much better understanding of the enemy attacks, so that contributed a lot. But I also just did more damage with the Odachi.

I’m not giving up on the hatchet yet though.

I finished my first playthrough of Nioh 1 with Odachi… I found it was effective in the early game, but once I reached NG+ and tried all the other weapons & subsequent playthroughs, I felt like I’d actually made the late game of that first playthough more difficult than it needed to be by sticking with Odachi.

For first time players I think Spear or Dual Swords are probably the way to go for primary weapon.

It works. I’m locked to 120 fps maybe 98% of the time now. It still dips a few frames with fire and translucent materials in front of the camera.

It’s so smooth.

The odachi is great. Moonlit Snow is one of the most beautiful attacks in the game.

I never found a way to enjoy the hatchets. They might make a good secondary weapon because the ranged attacks make good follow-ups at the end of a combo, kind of like the yokai attacks from soul cores. I’m honestly not sure. You’ll have to experiment.

I’m using those yokai attacks a lot more this time and they do such massive ki damage at the end of a combo. Perfect for putting enemies into a downed/grapple state.