Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

Anyone playing this? About to start in today.

I don’t have a PS4, so I’ll have to wait until it shows up on the PC for me to play on day one. ;)

Fuck it, I guess if I’m going to be bored then I might as well double dip for this.

If I turn my PS4 on its left side, the fan doesn’t sound brutally loud. Let’s hope they optimized it the same way as the first game.

This game is absolutely fantastic. A little bit Nioh 1.5, but what an amazing ride

Yeah I’m only on main mission 3 and I’m having a great time. Burst Counter is so satisfying and I love the change they made to the Dark Realm since the beta: you still don’t recover ki very fast, but you damage enemy ki much faster.

That means more yokai jiggling, and everyone likes that.

Still working on timing the counters to the big guys and it’s punishing as hell when you miss it. One-shots have been pretty frequent in those spots!

Yeah, I’m still working on getting my Nioh legs back. Having played one I’m at least starting with image 2, but I need to get back to image 3.
Imgur

I love the benevolent grave mechanic as it’s helped distract a few of the big guys for me while I work out the counter stuff :D Near the end of the 2nd main mission now.

Ran into one of the purple kodamas and was bracing for it to morph into a huge ogre.

My one early complaint was that the characters and story weren’t as interesting as they were at the beginning of the first game. Things have picked up nicely in the second zone.

The names and family trees are just as confusing though.

With my city pretty much completely shut down I’ve had a lot of time with the game, and I’m making my way through it. Just finished up the second part of the map and loving it. A lot better Yokai enemy variety, and while the game is difficult it usually feels fair.

It’s been over a year since I played Nioh, and I forgot how overwhelming the game can be! Systems on top of systems. Ki management, amrita gauge, three stances, skill customization, tons of weapons, stats scaling, magic AND ninjitsu, and to top it all off, more loot than you know what to do with. Nioh 2 adds on top of that another bar (anima), yokai abilities, burst counters, and more.

A lot of games have that kind of depth, but don’t really demand you take advantage of it. But, Nioh 2 is really hard. If you want to get through you’re going to need a reasonable understanding of all these interconnected systems. I went through Nioh on Way of the Demon and spent some time grinding in the Abyss; I was rusty to start, but this ain’t my first rodeo. And I’m still getting stomped. I’m spending 10 minutes in between missions to tweak gear. And I hit a HARD wall on the third level boss. Ended up running around the area a bit to level up a couple of times, max out weapon famialirity, and stock up om elixirs. But man that rush when you finally get it is great.

I didn’t notice any spoilers.

What what weapons are folks using this go around? I did the fairly conventional katana/spear the first game with a side Kusarigami. Wanting something different I’ve gone with Switchglaive as my primary and I like it’s move set a lot, though stat scaling wise I’m not sure what to pair it with for a secondary weapon. Also means I’m going to be casting a lot more magic I think since it works well with a magic build.

I’m using the two new ones after playing the others to death. Switchglaive has decent skill scaling, which is the primary stat for hatchets I believe, so you’re not gimping yourself too much. The first campaign should be pretty straightforward without optimization, especially if you play all the missions.

Switchglaive reminds me of spear. Good reach and damage. It’s my go-to for bosses and main missions. I use hatchets for variety on side missions.

I started with Dual Swords & Odachi- for reach & crowd control- but switched the latter back to the trusty Kusarigami in the 3rd mission, and several more missions in I haven’t touched the swords again yet.

I’m hoping the elemental variants of Kusarigami from N1 appear in this instalment too, but the Rotten Rope Cutter that dropped in the early game with Corruption imbued is doing a fine job- I’ve tempered it with my preferred traits, and am Soul Matching its level up when material & funds allow.

The Dual Swords aren’t as satisfying as I recall from N1, but then I think I had some of the more exotic variants from late game & New Game+(+++) with different elements on each blade- Fire & Lightning and/or Fire & Water from memory? I may switch to the Hatchets if I see a set with traits I like- none to date.

I’ve also settled on the Merchant armor set (same as Tokichiro’s) for its set bonuses for now, including faster Ki recovery. Earlier I was using the Yokiri- Heavy but high defence in early game- and Shrine Maiden for the Yokai combat benefits. All have Auto-Life Recovery traits either imbued (Yokiri on Kills) or as the 5th piece perk- Shine Maiden on Purification of a Yokai zone with a Ki Pulse, and on earning Amrita from any source for the Merchant set.

I started with primarily dual swords and a bit of Kusa, but mid game have swapped the chain and sickle out for hatchets. And hatchets are an absolute blast. Throws are great for adding in some range, does solid ki damage and has the same great guard of dual swords. I honestly have trouble finding reasons to use the swords instead.

Agreed that dual swords doesn’t seem to be as strong in the sequel. It feels like they don’t hit as hard (sign of the cross got a big downgrade), and they both don’t apply status effects as well and status effects don’t seem as useful.

I’ve gone pretty much full tonja so far. I love how quick they attack. I had a switchglaive as a backup but am just rotating it now, depending on what I find. I’ll look at elemental effects at some point soon as apparently those are great to have with them.

Don’t you Nioh vets want to use the new weapons??

I was strictly a sword and spear person in the first one so tonfas are brand new to me!

Yeah, but Kusarigami ;)

I’ll use different weapons in New Game+(+++), along with attempting a play-through with a pure magic build.

I also didn’t experiment a lot with weapons in Nioh 1 (played DLC, but never touched Odachi or Tonfas…) and after some time away decided to start with something comfortable.

But like I said before, LOVING the hatchets.

As for gear, mostly been just rotating through whatever random stuff I pick up. Thinking that whatever I forge early will be worse than my options down the line. Ended up with a bunch of higher level exotic Sohaya gear, so wore that whole set to get the bonus. The life drain after melee kill is nice to take some of the pressure off of elixirs, though in the mid game 200hp isn’t worth a ton. Just beat Azai and got the smithing text for his armor, so immediately forged some of that.

I do really love the skill tree tweaks; progression feels a lot more natural.