Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

They’re both massive, but they’re both among the best games of the last few years, so just kick back and savor them.

You have to decide if you want more of a palette cleanser from Team Ninja (so play Sekiro) or parrying (so play Nioh 2).

Do you guys play with the default controller settings, or remap stuff to be more consistent with Dark Souls and other games, like B button to dodge. The game allows for button remapping, but for some reason doesn’t allow the A button (dodge, interact) to be reconfigured.

I used Steam to remap the buttons, but now the button prompts don’t match and B is select in menus, so it gets confusing. I think I should just byte the bullet and try to use the default controls.

I just used the default gamepad settings. That said, I think I do remember getting muscle memory confusion between a couple different games (maybe Monster Hunter or something?) so I know what you mean.

I tried mapping them around, and I ended up sticking with the original. With the 3 stances on your weapons, and the multiple directional configs, it ends up feeling pretty good.

Word of warning, it is completely different from Wo Long, and mostly different from Sekiro.

Don’t remap this game to be like Dark Souls.

There is something about Nioh that just isn’t compatible with my brain. I was able to progress a little in Nioh 1 when I tried it, but then had some trouble and bowed out. That first big enemy in nioh 2 has just beaten me a bunch of times and it isn’t even close.

Usually I can at least get by the beginner enemies in these games :-)

I’ll keep trying, but I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

I guess maybe since they keep telling me I don’t have to fight it I should listen. When you put an enemy in front of me though I assume if I’m decent I should be able to beat it.

Yeah, you can come back later and give him the smackdown.

Yeah, I would strongly recommend skipping him. Cue its_a_trap.jpg

There will already be a big baddy you have to fight to progress, so might as well save your energy for that. And it will give you a chance to get a handle on the controls before having to deal with a big bad.

A random tip: if you’re taking a hit, don’t just roll out of the way of the hit. Get in the habit of block then roll. Blocking will allow you to cut in and interrupt a combo being delivered to your face where just trying to dodge out of it will leave you staggered and unable to do so. Blocking is very good in this game, even if you don’t have a shield like Dark Souls.

The next big guy doesn’t seem that much easier :-)

Hey, I just realized I had elixers to heal myself with. Maybe that will help :-)

You were going hardcore challenge mode! :)

It’s a different type of game. Block more and drain enemy stamina. Some special moves drain more than normal so experiment.

Also there are different kinds of counters based on what “class” you choose in the beginning? I’m still planning to try this again but that muscle memory is so tough to get over (dodge, block, light and heavy attacks specifically)

Ha! Indeed you do. You also have weapons you may want to use to attack enemies. :D

Yes, there are 3 different burst counters, one per each yokai flavor. I found Feral the easiest to start with because it doubles as a dodge, so you don’t get punished if you miss. Here’s a more complete explanation: Nioh 2 Burst Counter Guide: How to Use Feral, Phantom, and Brute Counters – GameSkinny

Man, it seems like axes chop right through my blocks.

I’ve made some progress - got through that one mini-boss like enemy (not the first big one), went through a town of bandits, unlocked a gate by the second shrine.

So, did you guys here just understand the game from playing or did you use some resources that explain the systems and whatnot? I’m getting better about not rushing, learning the enemy animations and picking my shots, but I feel like I don’t full understand the game and how to approach it. I’m not sure why exactly, I just don’t feel comfortable - where Dark Souls felt more intuitive when I first started playing that.

I’m enjoying myself, I just feel…off with this game.

I think this is common from people playing a lot of Soulslike games because they instinctively want to play it like Dark Souls. But it’s definitely not, it’s it’s own thing. It’s hard for me to enumerate on all the subtle differences but trying to play it like Dark Souls is going to feel like wearing two left shoes, if you know what I mean.

Souls is all about waiting for your opening and taking your shot. Nioh is more aggressive as it’s a battle of ki. It’s important to learn when and how to keep the pressure on in order to break their ki and really open up, without overextending yourself and getting caught. Lots and lots of tools that you can master as the game goes on such as ki pulse, flux, etc. that can keep your momentum going

Every person I know who has played the game coming from a Souls background has struggled initially because it’s similar enough that it’s instinct to play it like those games, and it’s off. Blocking instead of dodging, being more aggressive and focusing on ki, all kinds of subtle things that all add to a different approach.

In any case, it’s my long way of saying that feeling off at first isn’t too unexpected IMO.

I learned it a bit at a time as I went. First level for me was basically just playing with a few weapons and picking one to start with (splitstaff!) and getting a handle on mid stance moves. Then the next level the boss made me want to use low stance, so I focused on that. Next level it was high stance and as I went on started playing with Yokai abilities, getting better at ki pulsing, working in magic or ninjutsu, etc.

I think I was stuck on the first boss for the first day I played the game, so I wasn’t exactly a quick study!