No Doom For Me

Forget about it. I just watched some video of the actual game play and it’s just a black screen with sound effects. I can’t tell you how dissapointed I am. I just find situations where it’s completely dark too frustrating to be enjoyable so I probably won’t be joining in on all the Doom fun. I’m sad. It’s kind of a pisser becasue I don’t remember the orignal Doom being all darkness.

I played it last night for a little bit, and it was actually quite fun. Not as dark as I expected.

Though I won’t be getting it either; I was planning on a new video card for the fall, and I’m not going to play Doom 3 now and then upgrade.

I hear that people are pirating it. What do you all think of that? :)

Tim, the game is definitely far too dark with the default graphics settings. However, you can increase the gamma levels using the console which improves things hugely.

Ah, a ray of sunshine. Thanks BrewersDroop! I suppose you can tell, but I really would like to get this game.

In general the darkness isn’t bad. Its used very intentionally for some good scares- the lights will suddenly go out or you’ll happen upon a pitch black room and here the sounds of monsters within but won’t be able to see them.

Otherwise you shouldn’t have any trouble navigating or anything like that. The darkness is mainly pockets of shadow that usually obscure some additional ammo and armor or maybe a few monsters.

(puts on Claude Rains mustache)

I am shocked, shocked! to learn that piracy is occuring on this game.

I won’t be playing it because:

1. my winxp box is a T-bird 1GHz with a GF3 and only 256MB of RAM
  2. I just bought a house and have to fix it up in what free time I have
  3. I have no money (see #2)

At least, I won’t be playing it this year.

And then next year I will have a newborn hopping around the house.

Ah, a ray of sunshine. Thanks BrewersDroop! I suppose you can tell, but I really would like to get this game.[/quote]

Or you can wait for the Brightness Mod. :roll:

r_gamma 1.4 is my new best friend.

The game isn’t complete darkness all the time, but there are just enough periods where I’m getting trapped by desks or unmovable crates that I really would wish someone could make a flashlight mod for all the weapons. If you want to keep the same amount of tension, they could easily make the beam much more narrow than the regular flashlight, but as it stands the use of darkness is neat the first time around, but by the 30th time you’re in a dark room and pretty much know when and where one of the baddies is going to spawn because they did it the last 29 times, well, it gets a wee bit old.

Great game engine with a game that’s superior to Q3A, but still could use some tweaking in gameplay.

Go back and play the original or games like Hexen and Heretic. Darkness is a key component of some of those games’ greatest moments. When the lights go out and all hell breaks loose, there’s nothing scarier really…

I think people just like to nitpick and be contrarian on this board in general anymore.

–Dave

It’s true that Doom and Doom II both used darkness and lighting to help set the mood. Doom II in particular played on this in some very specific ways. The demonic library level had small areas of light that, when stepped in, would cause other areas of light to extinguish. As you worked through the level, it got darker and darker. It would seem artificial now, but it was still a neat trick at the time.

Another Doom II map featured a large darkened room with a single, small square of light in the middle of it. You knew that stepping onto that square of light would result in nasty things happening to you. And it did. :)

The majority of both games, however, did not use this sort of lighting for the levels. It was simply one tool that id uses in shaping the overall atmosphere. The complaints here seem to be more that the darkness and gloom is the rule rather than the exception and that it is more annoying than creepy. I haven’t had a chance to play D3 yet, so I can’t say, but that is the impression I’m getting from the posts.

I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised by it, though. I don’t think it’s exactly been a state secret that Doom 3 would trade heavily on shadows and darkness.

Maybe the darkness is really an occlusion feature that keeps the system specs down.

Quit your bitching and just go try it out, surely you know someone who has it where you can try out the actual gameplay.

“I don’t like it because I saw a video blah blah” :roll:

He could try it out if they had bothered releasing a demo beforehand!

No soup for you ! :wink:

But seriously Tim it isn’t that bad. The game has quite a bit of colour and light but it is used sparingly and in interesting ways. Think Ripley’s escape sequence through the terraformer in Alien II.

Quit your bitching and just go try it out, surely you know someone who has it where you can try out the actual gameplay.

“I don’t like it because I saw a video blah blah”[/quote]

Well, I guess that nutsak told me!