No Hard Feelings - Jennifer Lawrence asks if anyone F*cks anymore

alright, I’ll watch this now, naked Jennifer Lawrence in a fight sounds good

e: ah okay, it’s not out on streaming yet. Bookmarked!

not… quite… enough…

aaand sold!

skin still sells, even in 2023. But question is, do you feel guilty? It’s a requirement.

I don’t feel guilty at all. If anything, listening to Kelly Wand for over 10 years has led to a healthy relationship to my inner lecher. GRRRRRR

Ha! I approve in theory but this may be the least-appealing nudity in the history of movies.

don’t knock my kink!

jk, I’ll see it at some point. But that’s a bold claim!

Tell me you haven’t seen Nocturnal Animals without telling me you haven’t seen Nocturnal Animals.

So just to provide some context here, Jennifer Lawrence was perhaps the most famous and compromised star in the infamous iCloud photo leaks back in 2014. The result was that hundreds of her private nude pictures and videos were released to the Internet, at a time when she had non-nudity clauses in all her contracts. In the aftermath of the leak, she starkly described anyone engaging with the nudes as participating in a sex crime, since these photos were being viewed non-consensually by people who were not the intended audience.

But in the years since – starting with Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! in 2017, continuing in Red Sparrow and now in No Hard Feelings (a film which wouldn’t have been made if she hadn’t spent years championing the project) --Lawrence has increasingly chosen to go nude on camera in relatively calculated ways. Something I would argue that is pretty rare for an actress of her stature. Given how explicit and gratuitous the No Hard Feelings scene is, how integral to her participation the project was in getting off the ground, and how it directly follows her last nude scene in Red Sparrow in which she uses her naked body to beat then publicly humiliate a person who failed to rape her earlier in the film, I think Lawrence’s turn towards nudity is best understood as a response to the 2014 iCloud leaks. It is a deliberate attempt to reclaim agency in the way her body is experienced by a mass audience.

TL;DR: Jennifer Lawrence had her nudes stolen, and publicly talked about how violating it all was, likening it to being a victim of a sex crime. Since then, Lawrence has chosen to show her naked body in film almost exclusively in the narrative context of her using it as a tool to strike back at people trying to sexually dominate or humiliate her.

Counterpoint: Louisville girls are just frisky.

Kidding of course, I think you’re on to something there.

That certainly explains the scene in No Hard Feelings, then! Thanks for spelling it out, @DrCrypt.

I watched this one last night and would say that it’s a solid specimen of the genre, elevated a bit by the performances of the two leads. I appreciated the Broderick casting and the Ferris Bueller homage by way of the rock on the gas pedal to ruin the car. There were a few arrhythmic scenes where a key piece of dialog seemed to be missing to connect certain basic plot points, so the editing may have dropped a ball or two or they just awkwardly decided to leave some things unsaid. I was also hoping the ending would have been a bit more creative or subversive given the unconventional usage of nudity that has already been discussed.

Also, I loved the use of Maneater.

Wife and I watched this a few nights ago and it turned out just a skosh better than both expected.

Odd, we tried to watch it last weekend and turned it off after 15 minutes. Grossly overacted.