No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I like these two in particular.

Can someone explain the galaxy map to me?

As far as I can tell, you can select quest paths and jump to the next destination on that path. How do I just jump to an individual star? I’ve tried moving around in the “free select” mode but it doesn’t seem to actually do anything. If there’s a star sitting right there next to my current location, how can I select it and jump to it? Am I missing some piece of gear?

Using a 360 controller, if that’s relevant.

Also related: Is there any way to get an overview of the system you are in? I spend a bunch of time turning in circles trying to see the planets. Sometimes they show up on the radar thing, but sometimes not. Even when they do, I’ve encountered situations where I see a planet on the radar and move all around trying to get it in my view, and just can’t do it (maybe it’s behind something else?).

•Added ability to transfer items to and from containers in your base or freighter

•Fixed issue where a blue eye icon would occasionally appear over the crosshair

Finally! These make me very happy.

Yes, you need warp engine upgrades to get to the stars you can’t select.

Yeah, welcome to the club. They need some HUD planet indicators because the radar just doesn’t cut it. The ship HUD is pretty bad.

Zooming in on the galaxy map gives you the system overview, so you can at least see how many planets there are (as well as resource, conflict, dominant lifeform). There’s nothing apart from the radar to help you find them though. They should all show up though possibly very distant ones won’t? I’m not sure. And yes often planets/moons can be behind other things.

For jumping to individual stars not on a quest, atlas, blackhole, or galaxy center path - the ‘free explore’ should work. One stick rotates and zooms (usually left), the other moves. You should be able to select systems, but not jump to ones out of range. I’m using XB1 controller on PC. And there’s no doubt this is quite finicky and annoying. :)

Yes! That blue eye was constantly showing whenever I was in my ship.

You can’t select certain star class spectra until you get the warp upgrades to unlock those for travel. I have one of them unlocked but not the others currently.

Ah yeah, so if you have no hyperdrive upgrades you can only select the Yellow stars.

Then they’re gated by upgrade:
Sigma: Red
Tau: Green
Theta: Blue

Thanks for the help on the map.

One thing I am discovering is that my poking about on my own for several hours has made the main quest lines pretty silly. “Talk to an alien!”. Yeah, I’ve been doing that for like 12 hours now.

Going to follow the breadcrumbs a bit and let the quest lines catch up with me. Perhaps things like warp upgrades will show up along those quests.

In the meanwhile, I finally ran across a reasonably nice planet (verdant), and I’ve got my base started. Nice to have a planet I can stroll around in and look at derpy animals and collect materials without raging heat or cold or toxicity. It’s all just busy work, really, but it’s relaxing, enjoyable busy work,

Not sure they do, but you can get them from Gek blueprint merchants if you’re lucky. They’re normally part of the Anomoly rewards you get from doing the journey milestones.

So in the old version of the game it seemed like Nada and Polo dogged my steps wherever I want. Like every third warp or so they were there. This time around I’ve seen them only once. What’s up with that?

From what I understand they’re meant to appear every couple of hours of playtime or so. They do seem more infrequent to me too, though I’ve run into them a bunch of times in my post-1.3 game.

One thing I forgot … if you press B, it toggles control modes between selecting adjacent systems along the jump paths, and free flight mode. Left stick is movement, right stick direction, triggers up/down, and click right stick to move really fast.

Actually I just tried and you can select any star, and set waypoints at them - you just can’t warp to them if you lack the tech.

That’s interesting because I have stars that are right next to the system I’m in that I cannot select, no matter what I do. I assumed I needed the tech.

Weird hey…

Here’s me selecting a blue star, for which I am missing the tech. At bottom left it tells me I need Theta to warp.:

This is also way outside my jump range.

I wonder if this is something they just added in the .137 patch? I was still on .135 so I updated. I’ll try it out.

Yes, it is! What the hell did they do? It used to be fun just tooling around planets but now it’s a just a chore and I can’t wait to get out of my ship… apparently better controls come with better ships/improvements which is completely dumb.

There’s an option to revert back to the old scheme. Or just use a controller. :)

So, for $25 on Steam for NMS or a 10 spot for Empyrion? I think BR has said Empyrion is better, but I can’t find that post.

Looking for the exploration side of things more than crafting and enjoyable joystick combat. Even though NMS is more expensive, I’m leaning towards it as Empyrion seems more crafty-based.

This is all assuming I don’t get in the pre-alpha-alpha for Derpspace. I hear rumors that the ground combat add-on is going to be Berzerk…literally.

I’ve got both. Played NMS about 45 hours, Empyrion about 45 minutes. I have had issues even getting through the Empyrion tutorial. YMMV

No idea about Empyrion. Combat in NMS is not good, though, imo.