No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

2.09 patch changelog:

• Enabled mouse and keyboard rebinding on PC. Gamepad and other device rebinding can be performed via Steam.
  • Fixed an issue that caused starships to spin endlessly while attempting to dock in the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause dismantling the Signal Booster to remove other building parts.
  • Fixed a crash when displaying markers for other players.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause hands to become invisible.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players in multiplayer from speaking to NPCs on the Space Station.
  • Fixed an issue in Creative Mode that would prevent the Overseer mission chain from starting.
  • Fixed an issue where some players were unable to summon the Space Anomaly after upgrading from NEXT.
  • Fixed an issue where players were asked to collect nanites from an unusable terminal during the Ghost in the Machine mission.
  • Fixed an issue where players were charged too much when trading in their existing ship or Multi-Tool.
  • Fixed an issue where ships that were being added to a player’s fleet would be instead be traded in if purchased while the player’s current ship still had cargo aboard.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Upgrade Modules popup to display too aggressively, and to experienced players who did not need to see it.
  • Fixed an issue that caused overly dramatic camera shake in the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting the game.
  • Fixed a rare crash in base wiring.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the loading progress value to appear in the wrong font in certain languages.

Now that I understand NMS VR is designed as a seated experience, I fired up a brand new game and had a great time. Exploring the world in VR was just so cool, especially when I fell down a hole into a cave system and had to work my way back out with a storm raging on the surface. Hearing the sound of wildlife approaching you from behind then looking over your shoulder to see some creepy crawly coming up on you felt great.

The only part of the VR control scheme I didn’t care so much for was the ship flying. The VR experience is great for a cockpit situation of course, but I would prefer to just fly my ship using the analog sticks and physical buttons. I’ve never been a fan of flying ships by “grabbing” the throttle and stick in VR space, but by the end of the evening it was starting to feel more comfortable/natural so maybe it will grow on me over time.

I count 6 big expansions

1.10 Foundation 102
1.20 Pathfinder 156
1.30 Atlas Rises 347
1.50 NEXT 97
1.70 Abyss 24
1.75 Visions 265
2.00 Beyond ?

Er, eh? What are you getting at?

Isn’t almost all wildlife tame? How much danger is there from wildlife in general now?

There are still aggro creatures. For sure in the water and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at least one on land.

EDIT: I have. I have these crab like things in caves on one of the worlds near me. Scary as hell because they hide behind stuff.

What is that last column? Days since last release?

I don’t know, but I had a 4-legged spider looking thing chewing on my leg shortly after I stepped out of my ship on the 2nd planet I visited. The rest of the wildlife seemed tame but I’m on a brand new game and haven’t explored much yet.

They have added more than “purple grass”

At times the current No man sky feels like the typical pseudo-mmo that has run far too long (like Warframe or PoE) and have many systems and subsystem that don’t really fit perfectly togueter but is awesome to have so much game to explore

I just started playing a few days ago and my first (and so far only) death occurred when I was killed and presumably eaten by a rather large four-legged thing I’d seen in the distance and ignored to my peril.

I’ve been attacked a few times, but most creatures have been passive or interested in hunting other creatures.

How cool would it be if there were all sorts of creatures that attacked you in varied ways? (from afar, melee, etc) I’d be totally up for that kind of game.

I fired up my old game (from release time period.) Apparently that was pre-everything. I took off from the space station I was at and quickly got the Anomaly quest and started advancing things as normal. One absolutely great thing is that I had been working on expanding my exosuit slots back then. Since you did it on planet with points of interest, I had eventually opened every one of mine. I think I’m just a little ahead of my other game in money/belongings, so I may just go back to playing this game instead.

I got a laugh at the fact I had named the planets, apparently while drinking. Sadly, the galaxy name dropped a few letters of alcohol.

Wow so if you find a planet that has ancient burial sites, that is almost game-breakingly exploitable with how much you can make.

I started a new game, and in my very first system, there’s a planet with burial sites. I’ve made 2 trips to the space station now, carrying about 6 or 7 ancient bones each time. I have well over 5.5 million units now. This is the first system. I haven’t even made a warp cell yet.

I’m forcing my self to not go back for more, because I’m not sure this play through will be very challenging with this much of a head start financially.

This is the problem of a game that’s made up of a lot of patches sewn together over time: the balance is way off. In this case, the economy is meaningless.

You know I didn’t create that comic, right?

Also…satire?

Yeah, it’s a joke. Some players actually were disproportionately excited about the purple grass and the sitting down. :)

I mean, it is but it isn’t. I think the issue might be that it’s pretty darned random. And that wide of a range means you can literally die within a minute, versus getting retirement level rich by the second planet.

I’m honestly not sure how they would fix that without taking away the randomness of the procedural systems.

Tiering and gating. Restrict those massive rewards to areas with very high hazard ratings, hostile wildlife, etc. That way, while you might run into it earlier on, you won’t be able to exploit it until you have the appropriate equipment.