No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

It’s Polygon, I don’t know why people A. go there, or B. are then surprised by their weird unrealistic ideas and terrible opinions.

They’ve really brought all of this on themselves by not just being honest about it in the first place (or whenever they decided they weren’t going to have true multiplayer in the game). They’re committed to a narrative and don’t want to backpedal this late in the game.

I don’t have enough popcorn .gifs for the unholy nightmare of indignant fanboy rage it’s inevitably going to trigger, though.

That’s a good point. It still sounds like they might have small instances where you could meet someone, but what’s the point of implementing that? If it’s a one in a million chance you’re in the same zone and a 10 in a million chance you’re on the same instance (assuming that’s how it works) then why bother?

But if they wanted us to reflect on the vastness of space, they should’ve implemented co-op and then used random events to shoot players to the other side of the galaxy away from their friends, effectively forever. The reaction videos would’ve been priceless!

The big problem here is that this is the internet. If you say “this is almost impossible” the internet reacts with

and they always seem to beat the odds.

So yeah, saying the chance of meeting another player in No Man’s Sky is a jillion to one and then relying on the odds to work in your favor is foolish. It hasn’t even been a full day and we have two people livestreaming a meetup. Oops.

Yep, every one of Hello Games’ answers is basically “SO YOU’RE SAYING THERE’S A CHANCE”.

There’s not much evidence for it, but my suspicion is that they’ve been working on additional multiplayer features that – whether planned or not – didn’t make it into release or Day 1.

Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually. http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03

Couple of questions for those who’ve played or seen enough streams:

On planets, does the gravity seem to vary from one to the other, or do they all seem about the same? Also, can you land your ship anywhere or only near “points of interest” for want of a better term?

I don’t know about gravity, since I’m still on my first planet. But the ship can land anywhere. It’s a little tough to land at first, since it’s hard to fly slowly. But you land by press the Square button I believe, so if you can sort of fly slowly and line up where you want to be, you can press land, and then the ship floats downwards and lands.

I can only pray to god what they do doesn’t change the fundamentals of being alone to explore in a huge space w/o forcing me to also then play offline to avoid griefing jack offs ruining it.

This is becoming a thing. Hello Games needs to clarify once and for all what the deal is with MP.

I’m actually a huge fan of it being MP-free, but in the last few years I seem to belong to quite the minority.

I don’t just understand it. Since it was first announced it was listed as a single player game, why does he keep going on about the possibility of multi-player? I bet there’s nothing even implemented to support it (because on a team that small why the fuck would you, if it’s designed to basically never happen?).

I’d prefer to play with a friend but I’m fine with it being SP. it’s just really off-putting that he keeps talking about multi-player. What other hype is founded on bullshit? Something doesn’t add up.

The servers going down could also explain some of the multiplayer confusion.

Man. NMS really seems to be the game I thought it would be from the day it got announced on, and I prefer it to be a singleplayer experience. Whenever I get around to building a new PC. That said, the stuff that Telefrog linked to is mystifying. I’m pretty sure that realtime multiplayer was never in the cards and that NMS, as it got released, mostly has the basic functionality the devs always aimed for. Not sure why they didn’t have a better PR strategy for tackling what was destined to be a topic. There definitely would have been numerous ways to make a positive case for why NMS wouldn’t have that feature.

I met Sean and two of his colleagues ages ago when Hello Games was still working on Joe Danger 2, and it was a very pleasant experience; sincerely enthusiastic people like many other indie developers. Looks like they got carried away a bit into Molyneux territory with regards to the NMS multiplayer experience. Still looking forward to it nevertheless though since I didn’t count on such functionality.

Knightsaber I dont think your in the Minority.

My friends and I had a 5 person chat. One of my buddies asked if anyone was getting NMS. 2 of the guys read up on it a bit and there first response was, Im in if there is no Multiplayer.

A LOT of people are sick of the MP stuff. I hate MMO’s mostly because in these amazing cities, all these players appear hopping and spamming around the environments ruining the immersion. Griefing and cheating is often a problem as well.

Why would I want some jackass 12 year old griefing me on a planet in NMS?

NMS is a single player game with a neat idea of it being a shared space for discovery of planets and Creatures.

Their biggest mistake was not being up front about exactly what this game was in every way. It just leads to confusion and disappointment. Had they explained clearly how MP worked (that you would never see another person) the MP crowd would have gone away.

Now we have to hear their valid frustration.

Ill take Fallout, Witcher, Elder Scrolls, XCOM and POE any day over sharing my time with other players.

Any chance of this coming to the Bone at some point? Or does the PS4 exclusivity last forever?

If it does I doubt it’d be for quite some time as Sony’s given it a huge marketing push – likely tied to a big console exclusivity window.

The only multiplayer game I play much these days is Hearthstone and that’s because of the almost total lack of interaction between you and your opponent.

I love playing with friends when I can, but randos, no, too old for that shit.

You guys all plan to meet at the galactic core, I will be building my defenses up against you imperial-minded mofos. I AM A SOVEREIGN GALACTIC CITIZEN!

FWIW, I’m naming my systems and planets after albums and song names. My first planet was Mountainside in the system Priest Driven Ambulance.

i just want this engine for trade wars 2002.